1.    #1  
    Hi,

I have a question about car chargers, has anyone had any problems with charging their Pro with a car charger?

I bought a compatible car charger (cigarette lighter USB charger) and the red led light comes on saying its charging and the icon changes on the battery indicator, however it isnt charging. Really fustrating. Has anyone had the same problem or know of any fix????????

My Modern Theory Of Natural Selection: Anyone dumb enough to do something stupid deserves the consequences... Stupidity is an active choice.

Treo 650------Treo Pro (Oct 08)
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    There have been quite a few instances where USB chargers (including car chargers) don't work with the Pro right out of the box. This is due to the Pro following the latest technical requirement for fast-charging USB devices (if I remember correctly).

Chargers that seem to work are those that carry the moniker/labeled USB fast charging of High charge. I believe the Treocentral store carries those, and the Motorola car charger seems to be the best of all and that's why is always out of stock.

For other chargers not labeled as such, the bottom line is that for them to work with the Pro, the two data terminals of the charging cable have to be shorted. This is a DIY project that may require stripping the cable out and shorting those leads yourself or opening the charger and shorting the pins on that end.
    Ode to the Treo Pro: you had to look so good, you had to be HTC in disguise...
  3.    #3  
    Thanks for the tip.

Do you happen to know which Motorola car charger works??? Is it any specific one or do I have to look for something special????
    My Modern Theory Of Natural Selection: Anyone dumb enough to do something stupid deserves the consequences... Stupidity is an active choice.

I got one that works from Wal-Mart. It is a Philips (Model Number SJM2208/17) brand car charger with a retractable USB cord and with a Mini and Micro adapter. It was about $15.00 and works great.
  5.    #5  
    Thanks,

I will keep my eyes open for the equivalent here but unfortunately, I am living in Germany in the moment, so Walmart is out. But I am sure I will find something. Its nice to know that alternatives exist out there.

Thanks.

Funny I called Palm about this, and tech support sent me a new phone.
    But I also bought the Philllips $15 charger from HellMart and it works.