1.    #1  
    So I've had my TP for about 2 weeks. Hmmm apart from an unsuccessful sojourn for a month or so with an iPod that had a few phone functions scotch taped to side, I'm pretty much a palm guy. I didn't think I would like winmo, but to my surprise, its actually quite a decent operating system.

I've hard reset the device a few times whilst I experiment with some different software, so that I've had clean installs, and have decided upon, the following.

Need:
    Missing Sync

Nice to have:
    Mobiion MagiKB Lite
    Mobiion HookMgr
    Vicsoft KeySwop
    Palm Speed dial

Could do without:
    Google Maps
    Kinoma FreePlay
    TCPMP

I quite like sbp shell?? But?

My phone has a Telstra (Australian Carrier) customization but it's unlocked (I use vodafone), so I'd like to get rid of some of the default crap they add, somehow there is a generic homepage for any browsers that are loaded and some other programs.

My question, what is it that slows the phone down from the vanilla palm/winmo6.1? It works great out of the box, but something I'm adding seems to make it mildly sluggish. Now sluggish was one of the things that ultimately made me give up the iPod that had a few phone function scotch taped to side. So I want to avoid Sluggish... My gut feeling is the speed dial. I don't know much about Winmo, but I'm guessing that only the apps that are running would slow the phone down?
    Last edited by dbmgreen; 10/29/2008 at 05:30 AM.
    HP200LX->Treo270->Treo600->Treo650->Treo680->Centro->iPhone3G->
    Treo680->TreoPro->iPhone3GS->PalmPre->HPPre2->HPVeer 2.2.3->HPPre3

It could be any of the less familiar ones, or even conflicts between software. Your best bet is to keep an eye on useage and see if you can start pinpointing it to specific software.
    Quote Originally Posted by dbmgreen View Post
    I don't know much about Winmo, but I'm guessing that only the apps that are running would slow the phone down?
    I depends on your definition of "running". For example, stand-alone apps like Kinoma FreePlay are unlikely to be the problem -- they use CPU time when they're doing something, otherwise they have no impact on performance or battery life.

Software that hooks into your phone at a very low level to change fundamental behavior is a different story, and I'm afraid pretty much all of your "nice to have" utilities are likely culprits. My recommendation would be to uninstall them, and then install them again one-by-one every few days until you see the symptom again.

-- Charles Wiltgen
    Kinoma Notes blog | Subscribe to blog (email) | Subscribe to blog (RSS) | Follow Kinoma for news/content alerts | Follow KinomaTips for tips/tricks
    My phone has a Telstra (Australian Carrier) customization but it's unlocked (I use vodafone), so I'd like to get rid of some of the default crap they add, somehow there is a generic homepage for any browsers that are loaded and some other programs.
    There's a way to get rid of the customization: after you hard reset your treo pro, the first time it boots it shows a progress bar with a text like "Customizing phone". As soon as you see this, soft-reset and it will not apply the customization.
    Click here for more Treo Pro Tricks
    Quote Originally Posted by oVan View Post
    There's a way to get rid of the customization: after you hard reset your treo pro, the first time it boots it shows a progress bar with a text like "Customizing phone". As soon as you see this, soft-reset and it will not apply the customization.
    You would think so....

Have you tried it with the Pro?

I did a HR.
    Right after Screen Cali, Time Zone, Regional Settings I hit Reset.
    It just picks up wherever you leave off.
    5 SR's and after each reset it just keeps trying to pick up on the 'Customization' wherever it left off.
    Palm is steppin up the game.
    Just call me Berd.
  6. CDG
    Global Posts
    2,003 Global Posts
    As far as I know you couldn't do it this way on the 750 either. It will work though, on the Tilt & a multitude of other standard HTC devices.
    Quote Originally Posted by charlyee View Post
    As far as I know you couldn't do it this way on the 750 either. It will work though, on the Tilt & a multitude of other standard HTC devices.
    Yep, did it all the time until I started building my own Roms.
    Just call me Berd.
  8.    #8  
    Thanks for the info, I have just rebuilt again with only Missing Sync Mobiion MagiKB Lite Mobiion HookMgr sbp shell and FdcSoft SoftkeyAppletEx (which seems better written than keyswop), and there is no noticable lag.

I think it must have been todayspeeddial that was doing it?

It did make me watch a video of how to us sbp, and I learnt a whole lot of things, amazing app, kinda surprised at how well the device runs with it.

I went into the device and manually deleted a whole lot of stuff related to Telstra, just makes me feel better :-)

edit: forgot that I had weatherbugdirect on there, hmmm on second thoughts that may have been the culprit.

Thanks for the info, I have just rebuilt again with only Missing Sync Mobiion MagiKB Lite Mobiion HookMgr sbp shell and FdcSoft SoftkeyAppletEx (which seems better written than keyswop), and there is no noticable lag.

I think it must have been todayspeeddial that was doing it?

It did make me watch a video of how to us sbp, and I learnt a whole lot of things, amazing app, kinda surprised at how well the device runs with it.

I went into the device and manually deleted a whole lot of stuff related to Telstra, just makes me feel better :-)

edit: forgot that I had weatherbugdirect on there, hmmm on second thoughts that may have been the culprit.
    Everything just the way you want it?
    Do a Sprite Backup and call it HardRestorePoint.

I have a Backup at a Point so when I try something and I don't like it, I don't have to start all over again if my phone starts doing something funny.
    Just call me Berd.
  10.    #10  
    Thanks for that, so Sprite is a bit like backupman? But Free with the operating system?

Yep,

You can buy the full version which has more features, but the free included one on the pro is good enough for me.

Sprite lets Palm users upgrade to the full for $10
    http://www.spritesoftware.com/?page_id=274
    Just call me Berd.
  12.    #12  
    and FdcSoft SoftkeyAppletEx (which seems better written than keyswop),
    Hmm my apologies to the author of KEYSWOP! He has added some groovey functionality ie: the ability to add shortcuts. So I have my right soft key mapped as "new sms" this was not easily possible with SoftkeyAppletEx.

13. CDG
    Global Posts
    2,003 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    Yep, did it all the time until I started building my own Roms.
    I stand corrected. .

For some reason it never worked on mine after I upgraded it to the official WM6. I had to use these instructions to remove all the junk.
    Quote Originally Posted by charlyee View Post
    I stand corrected.
    ...clip...
    No, you are correct.
    I was agreeing with you.
    I used to do it all the time on my 8525.
    My question, what is it that slows the phone down from the vanilla palm/winmo6.1? It works great out of the box, but something I'm adding seems to make it mildly sluggish.
    Mmm ... wouldn't the application/process that makes use of the most CPU be prime suspect for the slow down on your phone? The standard taskmanager on WM6.1 and the HTC customized taskmanager only shows applications (not processes).

On Windows (XP or 2K) the task manager allows you to see/sort all running processes (not just applications).

I just found a freeware task manager that does similar (and a bit more) for our TreoPro (and WM5/6). See http://www.dotfred.net/TaskMgr.htm FdcSoft's "TaskMgr v3.1 for WM5 & WM6" . I think it's invaluable to track errant cpu hogging processes (it shows also the full path of the process that can indicate the original application generating it) and kill errant ones. I also see it give much more info about the process than I can understand (modules, threads, windows, heaps, heap dump). Wow.
    regards, sabre23t =^.^=