Global Posts
    400 Global Posts
    If I setup my 800W as a modem and tether it to my laptop, will Sprint be aware of this and will they either terminate my account or charge me for excessive data usage?
    Yep.
    ywenz, lawilson2 is correct.

Now you're going to get a flood of responses from people saying they do it daily. And it's really like speeding down a highway well over the posted speed limit. Lots of people were not caught today, but somebody was.
    Sprint currently has a 5GB data limit, which some see as the means Sprint uses to prevent too much data usage, but I think the fine print of the contract speaks against PAM outside of Sprint's service.
    I have been using a PAM hack on my Treo600, Treo700p, and now my 800w for over 4 years and have never given sprint an extra dime. I don't abuse it and I don't have any problem with doing it. Flame away.

On another note, I love the way that some around here that use USB Router or PDAnet think that they should not have to pay Sprint for a PAM account but those that do the registry hack should have to. Wake up, its the same thing no matter how much you paid for your rip-off software.

I should add that since getting my redfly I have not used PAM once because my laptop has not left my desk.
    Last edited by rc46; 10/28/2008 at 05:58 PM.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    Quote Originally Posted by rc46 View Post
    I have been using a PAM hack on my Treo600, Treo700p, and now my 800w for over 4 years and have never given sprint an extra dime.
    Yup, and the OP should look for the registry hack. Not hard to find.

I should add that since getting my redfly I have not used PAM once because my laptop has not left my desk.
    x2

<3 my Redfly
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post
    Sprint currently has a 5GB data limit, which some see as the means Sprint uses to prevent too much data usage, but I think the fine print of the contract speaks against PAM outside of Sprint's service.
    so using something like WMWifiRouter would be cause of account termination by Sprint, even if it is using the Sprint Powervision and under the 5gb monthly data cap? I'm curious--how would they detect whether you are browsing the web on the phone versus using it as a connection? I'm not too technically savvy so I don't really know how that all works.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebag333 View Post
    Yup, and the OP should look for the registry hack. Not hard to find.
    My internet (cable) went out the other day and I was able to use my 800w to connect without any registry hack. I used the Internet Sharing software on the 800w to set up a connection.

I only used it for less than 5 minutes. Checked email, did a speed test (forgot what it was) and checked a few sites.

What exactly is the registry hack supposed to do? My cable is up 99% of the time but its nice to know I can use the phone as a backup if needed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chimmer View Post
    My internet (cable) went out the other day and I was able to use my 800w to connect without any registry hack. I used the Internet Sharing software on the 800w to set up a connection.

I only used it for less than 5 minutes. Checked email, did a speed test (forgot what it was) and checked a few sites.

What exactly is the registry hack supposed to do? My cable is up 99% of the time but its nice to know I can use the phone as a backup if needed.
    That is very interesting. I managed to get my laptop to tether once before I learned about the registry hack. After that one time it rebuffed my conection every time I tried until I did the registry hack.

All the registry hack does is take away an instruction to block internet sharing. USBModem and PDAnet perform the same edit to the registry.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chimmer View Post

The registry hack will (theoretically) prevent Sprint from billing you. It disables their .dll which tracks your usage and limits it.

Be prepared for the charges on your next bill. I would claim the ignorance defense: "Sorry, didn't realize it would do this, etc." You might not get them (I've noticed that they're kinda spotty on billing that sort of thing) but be prepared to pay up if you do.
    The registry hack will (theoretically) prevent Sprint from billing you. It disables their .dll which tracks your usage and limits it.

Be prepared for the charges on your next bill. I would claim the ignorance defense: "Sorry, didn't realize it would do this, etc." You might not get them (I've noticed that they're kinda spotty on billing that sort of thing) but be prepared to pay up if you do.
    What kind of charges? I have the unlimited data plan (even though it's a 5 GB limit) and didn't download anywhere near that. In fact, I rarely go over 1 GB each month.

Also, I had USB Modem on my Centro and I used it about 10 minutes just to verify it worked and never got charged.
    That is very interesting. I managed to get my laptop to tether once before I learned about the registry hack. After that one time it rebuffed my conection every time I tried until I did the registry hack.
    Well, looks like I got my "one time" in. I don't see a need to try again unless cable goes out for an extended period.

interesting. is there any way to tell that the registry hack was successful (aka the sprint .dll was disabled properly)?
    Global Posts
    400 Global Posts
    So if I use the phone as a modem, Sprint would bill me even if I stay within the 5GB limit per month for data? I have a SERO 500 plan.. dunno if that makes a difference or not?

I want to be able to check e-mail and do some casual web browsing while on vacation next week. I ordered a MSI Wind and was hoping to use my Sprint connection to do this...
    Quote Originally Posted by ywenz View Post
    So if I use the phone as a modem, Sprint would bill me even if I stay within the 5GB limit per month for data? I have a SERO 500 plan.. dunno if that makes a difference or not?

I want to be able to check e-mail and do some casual web browsing while on vacation next week. I ordered a MSI Wind and was hoping to use my Sprint connection to do this...
    They could. I think from Sprints point of view they would say they are losing income because they offer this service separately. That is an acceptable argument for service providers. Alternately one could rationalize no harm if you stay within the limit. It's untested.

The short answer is they haven't been doing anything about this for years, but there are several new factors that may force a change,

Growing use factors:
    a) wm devices that can have reg edits that allow PAM without a PAM plan in growing numbers of hands
    b) one click third party software, which although around for a while, recently got a lot of mainstream press (NY Times)
    c) greater and greater consumer data usage on any platform

Those would be weighed against factors on the other side which would include be a lower cost per bit for Sprint (these costs always decline), the threshold of 5gb which gives them a general protection on extreme use/abuse, no need to provide support for surreptitious PAM as support is surely part of their cost calculations.

There detection ability would be volume and data type. I suppose they could develop a system that would detect data types that would not be typical for a mobile device ad use that to flag users/abusers. A lot of examples of this I've seen cited would not be authoritative though. For example, if I wanted to pull an update for a piece of PC software onto my 800w and later transfer it to my PC, there is nothing wrong with that and it doesn't go against my TOS. Perhaps some others here can speculate on this though.

The long and short of it is that at this point there don't seem to be reports of problems for people who use it casually through the reg hacks or software. If sprint decided to enforce the TOS on this, it makes the most sense they would go after high volume users first, for example people who have replaced their home access. But they could also go after people who are already lower profit (there is a scaled profit value they assign to you already) or simply randomly.
    Global Posts
    400 Global Posts
    I see..

One more question.. what is the difference between using PDANet and doing the registry hack? Or do I need to apply both?

Also, how is using something like the wifirouter different than the above in terms of our vulnerability from Sprint? would we still be in danger of sprint finding out we're connecting a laptop to the mobile?
    Last edited by ywenz; 10/29/2008 at 10:39 AM.
    One more question.. what is the difference between using PDANet and doing the registry hack? Or do I need to apply both?
    Reg hacking is free, PDANet is not. And, no, one or the other will suffice.

Also, how is using something like the wifirouter different than the above in terms of our vulnerability from Sprint? would we still be in danger of sprint finding out we're connecting a laptop to the mobile?
    They are the same.
    Grant Smith
    A+, Net+, MCPx2, BSIT/VC, MIS

eNVENT Technologies
    Use your imagination.
    --
    Sprint HTC Evo 4G

DISCLAIMER: The views, conclusions, findings and opinions of this author are those of this author and do not necessarily reflect the views of eNVENT Technologies.
    Global Posts
    400 Global Posts
    Does WMWifirouter perform the registry hack for me? Or do I still need to hack in conjunction with WifiRouter?
    Does WMWifirouter perform the registry hack for me? Or do I still need to hack in conjunction with WifiRouter?
    WMWifirouter does the same thing, in a different manner.

It does not perform the hack for you.

Use one method or the other.
    Vulnerability no. In terms of utility there are differences. using wifi vs a cable connection gives several benefits, including the obvious wireless, plus multiple pcs or laptops can access at once. On the negative side, wifi instead of cable will blow through the battery on your 800w much much faster