Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    That program is crap. I know that nothing runs on my device but that program was riddled with bugs.
    ATT History- From 1997-2001-> Nokia 6362->Motorola StarTac->Nokia 8260.

Nextel History From 2001-2004-> Motorola i1000-> Motorola i90c-> Motorola i95cl-> Motorola i730->Motorola i850.

Sprint History From 2005 - Currently->Sanyo 5500-> Sanyo 5600-> Sanyo-> 7400->Sanyo 8300->Sanyo->7500-> Sanyo 9000->Sanyo 8400->Sanyo M1->PPC-6700->Treo 700wx->PPC-6800(Mogul)-> Motorola Q9C-> Treo 800w-> Curve->Treo 800w->Touch Pro->Treo Pro> Curve "M"->HTC Hero.
    Quote Originally Posted by VibrantRedGT View Post
    That program is crap. I know that nothing runs on my device but that program was riddled with bugs.
    I've run version 3.0 and version 3.3 of Schapp's with zero issues.

Anything and everything it changes are standard WM registry changes that we all share and trade in the other threads (though we have some specific to our devices). It doesn't even do anything unique...it's just convenient.

It doesn't have "bugs" as it is just a collection of well known registry changes. However, not all registry changes are applicable on our device--hence caution for the novice.

In this case though: I always blame the end-user for screwing up their device. Always.

Vibrant: no offense, but you can't even run standard software on your device without problems. You should steer very clear of advance registry hacking and modification. JMO.

To each is own though.

I'm attaching my exported Schap settings for those interested.
    Attached Files Attached Files

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Malatesta, do you even know what change VibrantRedGT made? You speak as if because it works for you, it just can't have any bugs.

Your insults of others are tired man.
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post
    Malatesta, do you even know what change VibrantRedGT made? You speak as if because it works for you, it just can't have any bugs.

Vibrant has some issues that are very unique to him. No one (that I've seen) has reported the same issues.

So far he's not done some of the basic troubleshooting needed to determine where the problem lies. He seems to be content with having a buggy device, and not bothering to actually troubleshoot the problem (which would take less time than posting on here about it). That's fine, it's his choice not to take the time to do so (and in fact I've made that exact same choice when I have to have a working phone and didn't have time to fix a bug in my ROM or troubleshoot what program was screwing things up).

I know I've told him at least 3 times what he needs to do. Mal's statement that Vibrant has issues is nothing less than true, and his recommendation not to do advanced tweaks until he solves his basic problems is nothing less than common sense.

Mal is 100% right on Schapp's proggy. The catch is that it is not designed specifically for the 800w, which means that it's highly likely that a lot of the different tweaks will break the device.

This can just as easily happen if you apply Palm specific tweaks to another device (say HTC).

There are some issues with the way that Schapp's proggy run's, but they lie with the .NET framework, not Schapp's itself. The .NET framework is known to have issues with various devices. I suspect a lot of the problems people see reside there.

I've used Schapp's before, and had no problems with it other than the problems already known with .NET. I do not use it for that reason. I find it more convinient to do the tweaks myself than deal with the .NET issues (I also refuse to install any other applications that use .NET).
    VibrantRedGT has mentioned he's been running fine recently. And we don't know what change he made using Schapp's Advanced Config. We do know he's running fine without it. He has mentioned he only made one change and yakky mentioned they made just a single change too.

Quote Originally Posted by Ebag333 View Post
    There are some issues with the way that Schapp's proggy run's, but they lie with the .NET framework, not Schapp's itself. The .NET framework is known to have issues with various devices. I suspect a lot of the problems people see reside there.
    Are you saying that when a new version of Schapp's Advanced Config is released, it's only to add new features and never to fix any bugs? Because it seems as if you're making a statement that has never been said in honesty about any software. That it has 0 bugs. I highly doubt the new releases are only to address .Net issues.
    The Advanced Configuration Tool change log shows changes for a whole lot more than .Net concerns.
    VibrantRedGT has mentioned he's been running fine recently. And we don't know what change he made using Schapp's Advanced Config. We do know he's running fine without it. He has mentioned he only made one change and yakky mentioned they made just a single change too.
    Exactly. And without knowing what change that was made, how do you know that it wasn't a change that was incompatible with the way the 800w is setup?

What's more likely, they chose a change that doesn't work with the 800w (which there are quite a few of in Schapps), or that the folks who ARE using Schnapp's successfully are all in collusion and tricking you all about it?

The Advanced Configuration Tool change log shows changes for a whole lot more than .Net concerns.
    Sure. And the vast majority of those changes are device/application specific.

And like anything else there will be bugs. There were bugs with my RealVGA (which SHOULD work on any WM device) because I ported it over from another device (meaning it did stuff on the 800w that the 800w did not like). That doesn't mean that the program didn't do what it was supposed to, just that it wasn't compatible with the 800w.

Are you saying that when a new version of Schapp's Advanced Config is released, it's only to add new features and never to fix any bugs? Because it seems as if you're making a statement that has never been said in honesty about any software. That it has 0 bugs. I highly doubt the new releases are only to address .Net issues.
    Oh, and Mal nor I said that there were zero bugs with Schapp's.

Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta
    I've run version 3.0 and version 3.3 of Schapp's with zero issues.
    Zero issues != zero bugs.

Then again putting words in folk's mouth (and nitpicking in the process) is MUCH more fun than admitting you might be wrong.
    Exactly. And without knowing what change that was made, how do you know that it wasn't a change that was incompatible with the way the 800w is setup?
    You make my point for me. There is no way to blame the user, because there was not enough information provided.

What's more likely, they chose a change that doesn't work with the 800w (which there are quite a few of in Schapps), or that the folks who ARE using Schnapp's successfully are all in collusion and tricking you all about it?
    Nobody has refuted your claim to use it without issues, but there is no foundation to blame a user who made a single change. When nobody has any idea what change they made.

Sure. And the vast majority of those changes are device/application specific.

And like anything else there will be bugs. There were bugs with my RealVGA (which SHOULD work on any WM device) because I ported it over from another device (meaning it did stuff on the 800w that the 800w did not like). That doesn't mean that the program didn't do what it was supposed to, just that it wasn't compatible with the 800w.
    And some are just bugs. Even Schnapp's himself admits to fixing bugs at times.

Oh, and Mal nor I said that there were zero bugs with Schapp's.

Zero issues != zero bugs.
    You said:
    There are some issues with the way that Schapp's proggy run's, but they lie with the .NET framework, not Schapp's itself.
    And now you're trying to detach bugs from issues. We agree the software could have bugs.

Then again putting words in folk's mouth (and nitpicking in the process) is MUCH more fun than admitting you might be wrong.
    Look who's talking...
    I only changed the data connection time to disconnect after 5 minutes like I posted earlier in this thread. After the install I had issues with incoming calls.

I know not many apps work on my device but that particular program is buggy.

My device actually works fine. Battery life has been surprising. I have done the registry hacks for it. I only have 1 issue which is not a big deal. When I check VM it dials my number and shows my sisters picture. I don't think my device is defective. I do have apps that work fine. Memmaid, SKTools, SPB Screenshot, Weatherpanel and Sprint Picture Mail all work fine.
    ATT History- From 1997-2001-> Nokia 6362->Motorola StarTac->Nokia 8260.

Nextel History From 2001-2004-> Motorola i1000-> Motorola i90c-> Motorola i95cl-> Motorola i730->Motorola i850.

Sprint History From 2005 - Currently->Sanyo 5500-> Sanyo 5600-> Sanyo-> 7400->Sanyo 8300->Sanyo->7500-> Sanyo 9000->Sanyo 8400->Sanyo M1->PPC-6700->Treo 700wx->PPC-6800(Mogul)-> Motorola Q9C-> Treo 800w-> Curve->Treo 800w->Touch Pro->Treo Pro> Curve "M"->HTC Hero.

Just stating facts.

These are regular registry changes. That's all the program does: gives a nice UI to initiate registry changes that have been found to modify the device.

The only "bug" that it could have would be for it to not initiate the registry change or give it the wrong value. Since it a fairly basic program (which is why it's written in .NET), no...what Vibrant is experiencing is changing things which should not be changed!

Just because a registry change has a negative effect on our (very unique) WM device, does not mean the program is at fault or that it has a bug. User initiated changes that are non-compatible with their device are not a bug! They are non-compatible registry values. No way does the program promise or guarantee that all the registry changes will work with their device or are recommended.

It even warns you before changing things, allows you to export your current settings and you have a built in backup manager on your phone. So you experiment and find what works and what doesn't--but this is all "advanced" stuff not for the novice.

If I give you a tool box and open up your car engine, give you a list of things to change and you do them without knowing what you are doing and the car breaks...

Schapp has taken the time to collect these registry settings, write a program, update it regularly and offer it all for free--yet some people here call it "crap" because they don't know what they are doing...yeah, I take umbrage at that as Schapp has done a great thing for the community. He's just a regular guy who's active on many boards.

I like to support our developers. Sorry.
    Last edited by Malatesta; 11/04/2008 at 09:37 PM.

Malatesta, VRGT has already noted the setting that he changed. Now please tell us how it was user error? It's the setting in "connections" to disconnect a session after a selected number of minutes.
    Malatesta, VRGT has already noted the setting that he changed. Now please tell us how it was user error? It's the setting in "connections" to disconnect a session after a selected number of minutes.
    It seems that it is not compatible with his device (yet it works for others as attested to on this forum--so who knows).

Not a bug, just incompatible. I'm not saying what he experienced was false, just that it was wrong to slam the whole program for an incompatibility issue.

Now, if every WM device experienced his issue...that IS a bug.

Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    It seems that it is not compatible with his device (yet it works for others as attested to on this forum--so who knows).

Not a bug, just incompatible. I'm not saying what he experienced was false, just that it was wrong to slam the whole program for an incompatibility issue.

Now, if every WM device experienced his issue...that IS a bug.
    Well it could still be a bug, that is only expressed based on an individual's device configuration.
    They sure are.
    Well it could still be a bug, that is only expressed based on an individual's device configuration.
    Possibly.

As an example, my RealVGA doesn't play well with Hannip's tweak to go back to the built in messaging client. I've had a handful of people report that.

Is that a bug? Many people would call it such.

Quote Originally Posted by Wikipedia
    A software bug (or just “bug”) is an error, flaw, mistake, failure, fault or “undocumented feature” in a computer program that prevents it from behaving as intended (e.g., producing an incorrect or unexpected result). Most bugs arise from mistakes and errors made by people in either a program's source code or its design, and a few are caused by compilers producing incorrect code.
    No where does Wikipedia's definition call a problem with a "specific configuration" a bug. It's not a flaw with the application, it's a flaw with that "specific configuration". (More correctly termed "incompatibility".)

There's no error or mistake made by my RealVGA not supporting the built in messaging client. I simply provide no support for it. And there's no error or mistake in Vibrant making a change and having issues.

Vibrant has extremely specific problems that are (from the information he's provided) apparently caused by corruption of his databases. That'd be like me dumping a bunch of water in the gas tank, and then complaining that my car ran rough because I put a K&N air filter on it. The K&N air filter may cause the car to run worse (at least until the ECU learns how to handle additional air flow), but it's not the root cause.

Until Vibrant solves the core issue of his problems, any results he has cannot be trusted. Not because he isn't experiencing the issue, but because he has deeper issues that are most likely the trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by VibrantRedGT
    I know not many apps work on my device but that particular program is buggy.
    That statement right there should be throwing off warning bells like crazy.

I've found that very few apps don't work on my phone (for reasons other than screen resolution/square screen issues).

Vibrant has posted that he's had issues with apps that no one else has had. Heck, his voicemail and caller ID doesn't work right.

I'm not ragging on Vibrant. I honestly don't understand why he hasn't taken 30 minutes to troubleshoot his device (and instead uses that time to post complaints about it), but that's his choice. I certainly wish that he'd take the time and figure it out, if for no other reason that I've spent a decent amount of time trying to get my device to replicate his issues (without success), as well as taking the time to answer many of his posts and offer troubleshooting suggestions/ideas.

As I said before, I've certainly lived through buggy issues when I haven't had the time to deal with them, so maybe that is what's behind it.

His device does not function as any other device on this forum, and it's highly likely that any results he gets with a specific application (or tweak) will not react the same way either. Until he solves those basic issues, you may as well throw any results he has out of the window. Heck, my middle school science class taught me that much about the scientific method.
    Quote Originally Posted by VibrantRedGT View Post
    All my devices were purchased directly from Sprint brand new. I do not buy used or refurbished phones. Maybe it is Sprint who is messing with me.
    Sprint does sell phones of a certain level of use as new. I was handed a "new" exchange that had on the box a second serial number label over the first one. I deferred from taking it when the rep explained that under a certain number of hours phones can be turned around as new.
    Ebag333 - Considering even the Wikipeida statement you cited it mentions:
    ...prevents it from behaving as intended (e.g., producing an incorrect or unexpected result).
    Neither user or developer intended the error that occurred. You've made my case for me, it's certainly a bug, which you've helped make more certain via the citation you've provided.

Regardless of the debate over terms, the Treo 800w is showing to be rather solid unless something "incompatible" in added, such as been found in Schapp's Advanced Config. I once thought it was not causing me problems too, but upon more careful examination, I found my initial assessment was incorrect.
    Neither user or developer intended the error that occurred. You've made my case for me, it's certainly a bug, which you've helped make more certain via the citation you've provided.
    Come on darnell, you know you are stretching this.

The program doesn't guarantee universal compatibility and the 800w runs a very unique and customized version of Windows Mobile.

If it works for the majority of users with the majority of devices, it's not a bug because the 800w doesn't fit the mold of "standard" WM builds.

Going further...it works on my 800w (and others here). So what does that tell you?

Ebag333 - Considering even the Wikipeida statement you cited it mentions:

...prevents it from behaving as intended (e.g., producing an incorrect or unexpected result).
    So where on Schapp's page does it say it's intended for the 800w?

Where does my RealVGA say that it's intended for Hannip's hack?

Neither user nor developer intended the error that occurred...but the developer did not design the applications for the use they were put to.

So it's certainly not a bug, and your quote of that makes it simply more certain.

If I dump diesel into my truck, and complain when it won't run, is that a "bug"?

It's extremely obvious that you refuse to acknowledge that Vibrant's base problems could have anything to do with it.

I suppose we should start blaming Schapp's for the rainbow lines that happen, because it happened to me after installing his program. Or that my stand alone GPS doesn't work, because I tested it after installing his program. Or the short battery life. I never used the phone before installing Schapp's, so therefore the short battery life is caused by it.

I'm done with this. This is not the first time you refuse to acknowledge something that's plain in front of your face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    Going further...it works on my 800w (and others here). So what does that tell you?
    I used to say that too. So I understand and respect your view of it, given it was once my own. Yet I continue to disagree given my view of it now.

I suppose we should start blaming Schapp's for the rainbow lines that happen, because it happened to me after installing his program. Or that my stand alone GPS doesn't work, because I tested it after installing his program. Or the short battery life. I never used the phone before installing Schapp's, so therefore the short battery life is caused by it.

I'm done with this. This is not the first time you refuse to acknowledge something that's plain in front of your face.
    Ebag333, I'm not under any requirement to agree with you. But I hope you enjoy your sarcasm.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234