Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by pufftissue View Post
    I don't think that it should take detective work to figure out what may or may not be causing the problem with the Treo 800w.

I have hardly anything weird installed on mine. I've got the stock rom plus google maps, msn live search, and a foreign language dictionary. No video apps, music apps, games, financial software, or anything else.

With this, I miss calls, texts, and sometimes my battery drains for no reason, I miss alarms to the point where I don't even use it anymore, etc. And I don't even care about using GPS. The thing is, there appears to be no rhyme or reason. Yesterday I couldn't make a call b/c the network signal faded despite showing 5 bars. It was windy last night, but it wasn't a hurricane or tornado.

I am truly baffled as to whether I've got a hardware issue, software issue, or both.

I *may* install literally nothing but the stock rom, but even if it works, what good is it if I can't put any software on it?

Problem is, if I move to the Touch Pro, I'm not super confident that it would be more stable. But at least it'd take my phone calls.
    I can agree. Everytime I install an app somethin weird happens, weather its poor battery, freezing or backlight going nuts. I have only Memmaid and Weatherpanel. These are the only things I can run without side affects and battery draining like mad. Many can run over a dozen apps without a hiccup. This device has a mind of its own. I would really like to do the data connection trick that yakky posted above. When I get a missed call its always when a data connection is dangling. I would like to disconnect it and only allow it to dial when I want it to. This will help with missed calls as well as battery life.
    ATT History- From 1997-2001-> Nokia 6362->Motorola StarTac->Nokia 8260.

Nextel History From 2001-2004-> Motorola i1000-> Motorola i90c-> Motorola i95cl-> Motorola i730->Motorola i850.

Sprint History From 2005 - Currently->Sanyo 5500-> Sanyo 5600-> Sanyo-> 7400->Sanyo 8300->Sanyo->7500-> Sanyo 9000->Sanyo 8400->Sanyo M1->PPC-6700->Treo 700wx->PPC-6800(Mogul)-> Motorola Q9C-> Treo 800w-> Curve->Treo 800w->Touch Pro->Treo Pro> Curve "M"->HTC Hero.
    Quote Originally Posted by VibrantRedGT View Post
    yakky, what program are using to make changes to the data connection? I am not familiar with anything in your pictures.
    schap's advanced config

As for the Touch Pro, it is already far more stable than the 800w and it was just released a couple of days ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by nsxprime View Post
    schap's advanced config

As for the Touch Pro, it is already far more stable than the 800w and it was just released a couple of days ago.
    Can you post a link to schap's advanced config? I am travelling.

I have to disagree. I have been reading in the Diamond and Pro forums at SprintUsers. Not going so great. GPS takes several minutes to connect, poor battery life, slow UI, poor reception and others. Many are returning. I was going to trade up but I feel I have my 800 more tolerable then the Pro right now.

Nextel History From 2001-2004-> Motorola i1000-> Motorola i90c-> Motorola i95cl-> Motorola i730->Motorola i850.

Sprint History From 2005 - Currently->Sanyo 5500-> Sanyo 5600-> Sanyo-> 7400->Sanyo 8300->Sanyo->7500-> Sanyo 9000->Sanyo 8400->Sanyo M1->PPC-6700->Treo 700wx->PPC-6800(Mogul)-> Motorola Q9C-> Treo 800w-> Curve->Treo 800w->Touch Pro->Treo Pro> Curve "M"->HTC Hero.
    I think they're talking about this:
    Advanced Configuration Tools v2.0.2.0

And to use that I think you're going to need this: .NET Compact Framework 3.5
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post
    I think they're talking about this:
    Advanced Configuration Tools v2.0.2.0

And to use that I think you're going to need this: .NET Compact Framework 3.5
    Thanks. Got it installed and working good. I like the other tools it offers too. I did not install 3.5. Seems to work without it.

Thanks. Got it installed and working good. I like the other tools it offers too. I did not install 3.5. Seems to work without it.
    Good.
    schap's advanced config

Please describe "more stable".
    Sprint 600 - 650 - 755 - Mogul - 700Wx - Centro - 800W & iPhone
    Quote Originally Posted by pufftissue View Post
    I don't think that it should take detective work to figure out what may or may not be causing the problem with the Treo 800w.
    The majority of problems I've seen with the 800w, a hard reset and they're gone. Either a setting, or program, or some other weirdness usually causes the issue.

And a hard reset isn't really detectives work. Backup, hard reset, use.

There are a few people who have issues beyond a hard reset (VibrantRedGT being the primary one), and there are some bugs with the 800w, but for the most part the 800w is working well for most users.

Less than 10 minutes of troubleshooting will tell you if it's the phone...or your config/apps.
    More proof that the stock ROM on the 800w is buggy. You should never have to hard reset a phone unless you're flashing to a new ROM. In over 1 year of use, my Mogul was NEVER hard reset.
    More proof that the stock ROM on the 800w is buggy. You should never have to hard reset a phone unless you're flashing to a new ROM. In over 1 year of use, my Mogul was NEVER hard reset.
    I had to do a few hard resets for various bugs, but even if I didn't, I'll take a hard reset or two vs how many soft resets the Mogul needed due to running out of memory.

Two words about Schapps:

1. ALWAYS use the latest version, older versions are buggier than the new
    2. Backup and make one change at a time, its easy to go nuts and change a bunch of stuff, but the tool isn't perfect and can cause you to need to hard reset.
    Quote Originally Posted by yakky View Post
    Two words about Schapps:

1. ALWAYS use the latest version, older versions are buggier than the new
    Agreed, which begs the question:

Who the heck linked to Version 2.0.2 when version 3.0.0 came out in August? lol

http://www.pocketpcfreeware.mobi/download-advanced-configuration-tool.html

gah
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post

http://www.pocketpcfreeware.mobi/dow...tion-tool.html

gah
    Hey, if I had known there was now a v3 of the utility I would have linked to it. I've had it for a while and linked to where I got it from. And this new version explicitly "requires" .Net compact framework 3.5.
    Of course anyone wanting true stand alone and assisted GPS should NOT consider the Treo 800w!
    Of course anyone wanting true stand alone and assisted GPS should NOT consider the Treo 800w!
    Wait.... the 800w doesn't have standalone GPS?
    Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy

Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G
    I can agree. Everytime I install an app somethin weird happens, weather its poor battery, freezing or backlight going nuts. I have only Memmaid and Weatherpanel. These are the only things I can run without side affects and battery draining like mad. Many can run over a dozen apps without a hiccup. This device has a mind of its own. I would really like to do the data connection trick that yakky posted above. When I get a missed call its always when a data connection is dangling. I would like to disconnect it and only allow it to dial when I want it to. This will help with missed calls as well as battery life.
    Don't use the system tweaks, they'll kill your battery life. When I had it on extreme speed, my battery died in 10hrs on standby. I had to do a hard reset to get the tweaks out completely. The only thing I use from memmaid is the cleaning function.

You can expect better support and more frequent firmware releases for the touch pro. btw, anyone want to swap the touch pro for my 800w? hahaha...
    Quote Originally Posted by yangqdr View Post
    Don't use the system tweaks, they'll kill your battery life. When I had it on extreme speed, my battery died in 10hrs on standby. I had to do a hard reset to get the tweaks out completely. The only thing I use from memmaid is the cleaning function.

You can expect better support and more frequent firmware releases for the touch pro. btw, anyone want to swap the touch pro for my 800w? hahaha...
    Expalin the rationale?

I use those tweaks and they do not affect battery life.

Why? All the speed tweaks do is reallocate memory buffers (how much ram is dedicated to system glypcache, etc.).

Doesn't touch the processor. So how can it use more battery?

(btw, Schapp's tool does the same speed tweaks--these are standard and universal WM registry changes, not unique to the 800w)

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by yangqdr View Post
    Don't use the system tweaks, they'll kill your battery life.
    The network disconnect tweak in schap's advanced config has been saving all of us who use it battery life. The utility has some other resource SAVING tweaks I have not tried.

I'm not going to debate whether some tweaks may result in more power consumption because they've improved performance for you in a certain area. But not all tweaks should be assumed a bad thing.

These utilities are provided for all the WM devices. If they alter performance on the 800w a certain way, you'll likely see similar on other WM devices.

The most stable configuration for any device is to add nothing, but some things added on prove beneficial. It all depends on what you add and how you use it.
    Expalin the rationale?

I use those tweaks and they do not affect battery life.

Why? All the speed tweaks do is reallocate memory buffers (how much ram is dedicated to system glypcache, etc.).

Doesn't touch the processor. So how can it use more battery?

(btw, Schapp's tool does the same speed tweaks--these are standard and universal WM registry changes, not unique to the 800w)
    maybe it's instability? memory mis-management can drain power.

I am not sure, but I tested that program after a hard rest and I only installed that app and ran the tweaks. My battery drain fast. I thought that I had a bad battery and talked to sprint (I have the log file) and went into the store to get a battery replacement. They tested and they said nothing was wrong.

Hard reset and didn't run those tweaks and now the battery life is great. The only progs I am running is UL, Sbp diary skyfire, google maps and home screen plus plus.

The network disconnect tweak in schap's advanced config has been saving all of us who use it battery life. The utility has some other resource SAVING tweaks I have not tried.

I'm not going to debate whether some tweaks may result in more power consumption because they've improved performance for you in a certain area. But not all tweaks should be assumed a bad thing.

These utilities are provided for all the WM devices. If they alter performance on the 800w a certain way, you'll likely see similar on other WM devices.

The most stable configuration for any device is to add nothing, but some things added on prove beneficial. It all depends on what you add and how you use it.

Thanks, I try out schap adv config.

I was only referring to memmaid since I had experience with that prog.
    Last edited by yangqdr; 10/30/2008 at 12:58 PM.

http://www.pocketpcfreeware.mobi/dow...tion-tool.html

gah
    Doesn't matter because both made my phone crazy. When a call came in and I hit Answer it would hang for awhile before I could hear anything. I deleted the program but all the settings remained. I had to hard reset. My phone refuses any 3rd party app I install except Memmaid and WeatherPanel.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast