1.    #1  
    I already have a Garmin Nuvi 350 portable GPS unit. Can someone tell me your experience on using Treo Pro GPS? Is it worth to pay $$ to wireless company for the GPS function? Thanks.
    JC22000088
    Quote Originally Posted by jc22000088 View Post
    I already have a Garmin Nuvi 350 portable GPS unit. Can someone tell me your experience on using Treo Pro GPS? Is it worth to pay $$ to wireless company for the GPS function? Thanks.
    JC22000088
    Not sure what you mean "to pay $$"

GPS is free on the Pro. I guess if you want to use the maps you will need to use something like Google maps which is free but you will need to use data and thus a data plan that you pay for ( I can't imagine someone buying a TP and not having an unlimited data plan or at least one with tons of included dat)--but you don't pay anything to use GPS technically.

As far as comparing to the Garmin 350 goes it will likely have pros and cons. The 350 won't work as a phone, but the GPS function will be easier to use. Screen is bigger on the 350 so touch screen nav will be easier to work with.

Others prefer to load 3rd party GPS apps that you have to pay for like Tom Tom and then it operates more like your 350--but still smaller, etc.

Good luck
    PDA Lineage: Palm Pilot, Palm V, Palm Tungsten, Treo 650 (Cingular), Treo 750 (AT&T), Treo Pro GSM (unlocked), Pre Plus (AT&T), Pre 2 GSM (unlocked), Pre 3 16GB (AT&T Branded) and Touchpad 32 GB
    If you already have GPS for your car, then no, the Pro's GPS won't really be of too much benefit for you.

For me, I don't have a dedicated GPS unit because I live in Chicago and use public transportation most of the time besides things that are <2mi away such as my gym and grocery shopping. I travel for work, but that involves flying to a different city, and depending on the city, I MAY rent a car or I might be within walking distance to the client/hotel/restuarants so turn by turn GPS navi isn't going to be of much use. However, in cities like Dallas or Houston where I do rent a car, the Treo Pro with my older TomTom software is great.

Also, GPS is great for searching for places (restuarants, stores, etc.) near you using Gmaps or Live Search in areas that you're not really familiar with.
    I have to say that I agree with the others. IF you already have a dedicated Navi in your car then the Pro makes no sense, but if you don't I can tell you that the GPS in the Pro is pretty good (always depends on where you are-I am in Germany and the satelite coverage is fantastic). I have tested it with the bundled Google maps and it works really good.

I recently installed IGo 8 and it works like a charm on the Pro. I have hooked it up in my car using a simple car charger and mount and it is fantastic. So from my point of view it is great.
    My Modern Theory Of Natural Selection: Anyone dumb enough to do something stupid deserves the consequences... Stupidity is an active choice.

Treo 650------Treo Pro (Oct 08)
    I have been using Telenav and its great. I plan on installing TOm Tom which I already own and will be free.
    I'm in the same boat. I bought the Tom Tom software for my 650.

What are my best options for using GPS without having to pay for Telenav? Neophyte here--a few steps would be appreciated. Thanks
    Is it worth to pay $$ to wireless company for the GPS function?
    Mmm ... Usage of TreoPro GPS receiver (GPSr) from the US Gov satellites in the sky is free. What you have to pay $$ for would be one of the following depending on which GPS option you chose ...
    (1) GPS software on TreoPro, that displays the map and provides navigation features.
    (2) GPS maps specific for the GPS software, that provides the road and navigation data - this can be recurring cost, unless you get free maps update
    (3) Wireless telco data charges, if the GPS Maps is stored on a remote server and not locally in your TreoPro - this can be recurring cost, unless you use unlimited data plan

If I bought Garmin Mobile XT (GMXT) on microSD card option, I only pay once for the GMXT software that works with TreoPro GPSr, and I can get good free Garmin compatible GPS maps for Malaysia stored in my TreoPro, so no additional telco data charges. I'd go this way if I don't already have Garmin Nuvi 205W for my GPS navigation needs.
    regards, sabre23t =^.^=
    Quote Originally Posted by NewtoPro View Post

What are my best options for using GPS without having to pay for Telenav? Neophyte here--a few steps would be appreciated. Thanks
    Your Tom Tom for your 650 will work on this phone. You should have disks for installation on Wndows mobile. Each Tom Tom installation allows 2 installs and after that you just need to call them and they will allow you to install again (give you codes) You need to install first before you call if you hav already used your 2 installs.
    JC22000088
    The GPS using Google Map on my Treo Pro doesn't cost anything, assuming you have a data connection anyway for downloading the maps.
    Quote Originally Posted by ftwitty View Post
    The GPS using Google Map on my Treo Pro doesn't cost anything, assuming you have a data connection anyway for downloading the maps.
    doesn't do turn by turn voice
    Quote Originally Posted by NewtoPro View Post

If you want free (other than the data plan you are presumably already paying for) - then Google maps.

However, if you need voice guided turn-by-turn functionality, I'll give another vote for Garmin XT
    Daniel Levin
    levinda13@sbcglobal.net
    I think the next navigation/turn by turn software I get will be iGo 8. Seems like a fantastic deal.
    Quote Originally Posted by cglaguna View Post
    doesn't do turn by turn voice
    Windows Live Search does turn by turn directions with sound prompts (not voice) which is at least a step above GMM. IMO, it's the closest thing to the paid software and it works really well.
    I actually have TomTom and I use WLS the majority of the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetluva View Post
    I think the next navigation/turn by turn software I get will be iGo 8. Seems like a fantastic deal.
    It looks great, but I've found that it's quite complicated to operate on the road. Every screen has a different layout. Some competitors have the same problem.

That's why I stick to Navigon, since v6 they've designed the interface together with the Fraunhofer Institute for ease of use and consistency. Version 7 now runs much smoother than v6 on pda. Note that officially the Treo Pro is not yet supported. I'll post a fix on my site next week.
    Click here for more Treo Pro Tricks