Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Try to play a video from my camera... not possible.
    I go look for codecs (like I do on my desktop) - apparently WMPm can not be provided with codecs

Allright...
    I look for another player, on my desktop I have MPclassic as standard now.

However, WM has no decent alternative (unless I did not look hard enough).
    - Kinoma: expensive, demo won't even let you play video and does all kind of weird stuff (like syncing a few GB of media from the desktop without asking... );
    - Coreplayer: proprietary as well

Why is it so hard to play a normal (right?) avi on a mobile device?
    Is WM app development simply 5 years behind compared to the desktop
    Treo Pro Playtime
    Pocket Player maybe?

http://www.conduits.com/products/player/

I can't swear by it because I haven't used it enough. But it does have a lot of customizable features it seems.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  3.    #3  
    Haven't come across that one.
    Still is $20 though.

Interesting... on my desktop almost everything except MS Office is freeware, on the TP it appears to be the other way around.
    I am most happy to spent $100 for Pleco, but 20-30 dollars for a stupid player is nonsense.
    Treo Pro Playtime
    They offer a full 30 day trial so you can see if you can use it. Can't hurt to try. If Kinoma is more expensive than $20 and you don't even get a full trial, why not try it?
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    iPhone plays videos great.
  6. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Why not TCPMP?

You can also tell Kinoma not to scan each time.
    Didn't the OP ask about players for WM? iPhone uses WM????

Quote Originally Posted by captaindan View Post
    Yeah, but you can't view an MMS message unless you go to the web and download it there--what a joke.
    PDA Lineage: Palm Pilot, Palm V, Palm Tungsten, Treo 650 (Cingular), Treo 750 (AT&T), Treo Pro GSM (unlocked), Pre Plus (AT&T), Pre 2 GSM (unlocked), Pre 3 16GB (AT&T Branded) and Touchpad 32 GB
    yes...
    but how about recording a video?
    or download and save youtube video?
    or some gps softwares w/ voice?
    or sync w/your youtube playlist?

no, no, no and no...
    iphone sux even using it for multimedia...
    Switched from the iPhone to Treo Pro
  10.    #10  
    TCPMP I tried, but it did not work for me.
    If I read it well, it's EOL too.

And about the 30-day trial.
    Nice, but at the end of that period I will not buy it.
    A multimedia device like the TP ought to play videos (h264 and the like) out of the box.

Recoding appears to be the only solution.
    Avidemux does a great job there, only have to find out what WMP can play.
    Treo Pro Playtime
    Perhaps WM ought to be able to do a lot of things, but that's why there are developers and almost nothing's free. The Pro is actually a business device mainly. WM is not really multi-media friendly, that's been well known for quite some time. That's why there are so many 3rd party multi-media apps.

It would be nice if MSFT realized they need to offer the best of both work and play, but until they get their heads out of the sand and see the light, developers can fill the void.
    Last edited by The Phone Diva; 10/27/2008 at 03:32 AM.

Global Posts
    514 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fintan View Post
    Recoding appears to be the only solution.
    Or convert any video to WM format, free of charge:-
    http://www.any-video-converter.com/

I've tried it and it's worked great for me.
    Global Posts
    281 Global Posts
    WM doesn't have a really great basic multi-media player, so you just have to do it manually by getting other applications to convert the file you want to play.
    Using a Centro with free ActiveSync at http://www.TheMessageCenter.com
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsol View Post
    Yeah, but you can't view an MMS message unless you go to the web and download it there--what a joke.

Your the joke I only wrote that because I wanted to see people freak out at the sight of the word iPhone. lol
    However, WM has no decent alternative (unless I did not look hard enough). [...] Is WM app development simply 5 years behind compared to the desktop
    Kinoma Play is the world's first mobile media browser -- calling it a "player" vastly under-represents what it does -- and it's available first on Windows Mobile.

As our customers will tell you, there's not even anything for Windows or Mac OS X that does what Kinoma Play does on Windows Mobile.

Kinoma: expensive, demo won't even let you play video and does all kind of weird stuff (like syncing a few GB of media from the desktop without asking... );
    No, I'm afraid that's all incorrect...

• Kinoma Play is a great bargain -- just $29.99, with no monthly subscription fees. You can get it for $0 if you check out with TrialPay.

• There is no demo version of Kinoma Play. The free product, Kinoma FreePlay, gives you on-demand access to a few million YouTube and Google Video videos. It's so good, you may not ever need Kinoma Play.

• Kinoma Play runs on your phone, not your PC, so it can't "sync a few GB of media from the desktop without asking".

If you have more questions, just let me know.

-- Charles Wiltgen
    Kinoma Notes blog | Subscribe to blog (email) | Subscribe to blog (RSS) | Follow Kinoma for news/content alerts | Follow KinomaTips for tips/tricks
    Your the joke I only wrote that because I wanted to see people freak out at the sight of the word iPhone. lol
    What age group are you?

17. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    TCPMP I tried, but it did not work for me.
    If I read it well, it's EOL too.
    You need the Recompiled version. The 800w has the same problem, and the Recompiled version works very well. You can find a thread over in the 800w Forum with instructions. good luck.

BTW, Kinoma Play may be $30, but it is well worth it.
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles@Kinoma View Post
    Kinoma Play is the world's first mobile media browser -- calling it a "player" vastly under-represents what it does -- and it's available first on Windows Mobile.

As our customers will tell you, there's not even anything for Windows or Mac OS X that does what Kinoma Play does on Windows Mobile.

No, I'm afraid that's all incorrect...

• Kinoma Play is a great bargain -- just $29.99, with no monthly subscription fees. You can get it for $0 if you check out with TrialPay.
    That is very lame sales talk.
    Especially the free offer, I was astonished by it - how serious do I have to take a company who offers such nonsense?
    • There is no demo version of Kinoma Play. The free product, Kinoma FreePlay, gives you on-demand access to a few million YouTube and Google Video videos. It's so good, you may not ever need Kinoma Play.
    Possibly, but why would I want to look on youtube?
    I am interested in seeing the video of my gf I made with my Canon camera. Which I tried and KFP failed on that.
    • Kinoma Play runs on your phone, not your PC, so it can't "sync a few GB of media from the desktop without asking".
    Apparently it does if the Treo happened to be connected to the pc. Kinda weird default setting.
    If you have more questions, just let me know.

-- Charles Wiltgen
    Last edited by Fintan; 10/29/2008 at 02:31 PM.
    Treo Pro Playtime
    I do like Kinoma Play. I bought it for my 750 and will transfer it to my Pro once my wife lets me switch. However I do agree that it doesn't play enough formats. It doesn't play AVI which WM does out of the box. Most unforgivably it cannot play videos recorded using the phone without throwing an error and proceeding mute.

On the other hand I think it might be too much to expect any media player on a mobile device to play any format that originated from some other consumer device. At least not this year.
    Treo Pro on Vodafone UK X 2
    That is very lame sales talk.
    That wasn't my intent. But when I hear about people spending as much or more even for old-style players (even audio-only players!), I think that's just silly.

Especially the free offer, I was astonished by it - how serious do I have to take a company who offers such nonsense?
    In these financial times, it doesn't make sense to look down your nose at any reasonable way to save money. Many satisfied Kinoma Play customers have saved $30 by using our TrialPay checkout option, not to mention all of the people enjoying our free products.

I really do appreciate useful criticism. But first you say Kinoma Play is too expensive, and then you complain because you can get the full application for free. It seems like nothing we can do could make you happy.

Possibly, but why would I want to look on youtube?
    I am interested in seeing the video of my gf I made with my Canon camera. Which I tried and KFP failed on that.
    There are two ways to watch that video with Kinoma FreePlay: (1) Upload it to YouTube, and it'll automatically appear in your YouTube My Videos folder, or (2) Use Orb to stream it and all of your other video, audio and pictures from a home PC.

-- Charles Wiltgen
    Kinoma Notes blog | Subscribe to blog (email) | Subscribe to blog (RSS) | Follow Kinoma for news/content alerts | Follow KinomaTips for tips/tricks
Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast