Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles@Kinoma View Post
    MKV files are "Matroska" files, a file format created in 2002. Matroska is another in a series of file formats intended to replace AVI, but for various reasons didn't catch on.
    Quote Originally Posted by nsxprime View Post
    You are wrong. MKV is a shell that typically uses the AVC video codec along with the AC3 audio codec. It's the absolute best available.
    MKV is a container. AVI is a container.

Neither one, in and of themselves, is a codec. Seems that's exactly what Charles said (and incidentally what you said as well), so kinda funny how he's wrong when you're saying the exact same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Charles@Kinoma View Post
    Blu-ray doesn't use Matroska files. You might be confusing the extension with .m2ts (MPEG-2 Transport Stream), which is used by Blu-ray.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wikipedia
    The BD-ROM specification mandates certain codec compatibilities for both hardware decoders (players) and the movie-software (content). For video, all players are required to support MPEG-2, H.264/MPEG-4 AVC, and SMPTE VC-1.[46] MPEG-2 is the codec used on regular DVDs, which allows backwards compatibility. MPEG-4 AVC was developed by MPEG and VCEG. VC-1 is a codec that was mainly developed by Microsoft. BD-ROM titles with video must store video using one of the three mandatory codecs. Multiple codecs on a single title are allowed.
    Blu-ray doesn't use Matroska. Blu-ray rips, as Darnell said, do.

Quote Originally Posted by Wikipedia
    In recent years, however, Matroska has seen wider use due to the scene adopting it as a format of choice for high definition content ripped from HDTV and next generation video discs (HD DVD and Blu-ray).
    Just a minor difference of Blu-ray VS Blu-ray rips....
    Charles,

I've had this ongoing "argument" with Chris from mobiletechaddicts.com about media on WM and how it pales <cough> in comparison to the iPhone. Any chance of adding one simple feature to make it easier for the iTunes fanboys who have given up the ability to organize their own music and allow sorting by folder?
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post
    Yea, it makes no sense to trash a format when one of your other products supports it.

You obviously have not been reading enough Nero 9 promotional material . Check out the Nero product version comparison chart.
    I've read Nero refuses to rip commercial DVD, due to them being "official" about copyright infringement. True or not? That is the one thing keeping me from buying Nero until I know for sure. $100 is a lot to waste these days.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebag333 View Post
    We know. You're trying to debate the semantic differences between "shell" and "container?" ROTFLMAO
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    I've read Nero refuses to rip commercial DVD, due to them being "official" about copyright infringement. True or not?
    I'm pretty positive no U.S. based company has commercially available software that can rip copy-protected DVDs, as they would get sued very quickly. The DMCA creates a very fine line for software developers.

Having said that, I prefer DVDFab which does the above (plus burn). It even has a mobile output option with a selection of available formats that should even work with Kinoma Play (.wmv, .mp4).
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    I'm pretty positive no U.S. based company has commercially available software that can rip copy-protected DVDs, as they would get sued very quickly. The DMCA creates a very fine line for software developers.
    I was just reading about a company that did this, but puts their own DRM in place on the backups (rips) which prevents you from sharing it with everyone.

They're in the process of getting sued, and it's not looking good (judge already ruled that they can't sell their software anymore).

Having said that, I prefer DVDFab which does the above (plus burn). It even has a mobile output option with a selection of available formats that should even work with Kinoma Play (.wmv, .mp4).
    DVD Shrink is another option which I use, though you'd have to convert to a mobile format/size on your own from the rip.
    I've read Nero refuses to rip commercial DVD, due to them being "official" about copyright infringement. True or not? That is the one thing keeping me from buying Nero until I know for sure. $100 is a lot to waste these days.

Yea, what Malatesta said. Companies with offices in the USA (Nero is based out of Germany, but has a US regional office in CA) have no choice but to be "official" about the matter, or face being run out of business by the MPAA. Or at the very least, the MPAA would ensure you would not be able to buy the software for long if Nero offered all that you want.

If using something like Nero, there are lots of ways via other intermediary software, to remove the copy protection and get the files onto your hard drive for Nero to work with. (Easy to find those via a web search.) But for me, using Nero is about more than just DVD conversion because there's a whole lot more I use Nero for.
    I had a trial copy of DVDFab I never used and just downloaded the new one. I'll see how it goes. Thanks for reminding me Mal!!

I think I have Shrink somewhere around too.

The main reason I wanted to use Nero WAS mainly for the DVD and video functions. Maybe I'll look at the trial version to see what else I can do.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    I had a trial copy of DVDFab I never used and just downloaded the new one. I'll see how it goes. Thanks for reminding me Mal!!

I think I have Shrink somewhere around too.

The main reason I wanted to use Nero WAS mainly for the DVD and video functions. Maybe I'll look at the trial version to see what else I can do.
    DVD Shrink is another option which I use, though you'd have to convert to a mobile format/size on your own from the rip.
    DVDShrink is certainly nice (read free, lol), but what makes DVDFab really nice is it is actually regularly updated to work with the latest burners and technology (dunno 'bout HD though)--for instance it can burn to a single or dual layer DVD, the latter meaning of course no compression (1:1).

Personally I use it to just rip the movie so I don't have any menus, FBI warnings and and can have pre-set audio/subtitles. Makes watching a DVD more direct as I hate all that junk.

The mobile option is also incredibly straight forward. Go China?

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter

The problem with DVDFab is that you can't easily change the start and end points like you can in Recode. I use DVDFab to rip DVDs and then Recode to convert them into AVCs for my phone.
    OK, I got Nero 9 since it went on sale at 50% off this week. I found a free decrypter, hope it works. But I'm going to try Nero on my unprotected stuff first. BTW, I noticed OGM is used a lot for "pirated" files too. And Nero actually works with that format.

Neither one, in and of themselves, is a codec. Seems that's exactly what Charles said...
    Matroska is a file format, and "container format" is just a type of file format generally associated with media. (I've never heard them called "shell" formats, but nsxprime seems to know what he's talking about and I assume he means the same thing.)

If you were talking about the format of media within the file or container format, generally that's referred to as the "media format" or "compressed media format".

-- Charles Wiltgen
    Kinoma Notes blog | Subscribe to blog (email) | Subscribe to blog (RSS) | Follow Kinoma for news/content alerts | Follow KinomaTips for tips/tricks
    Alli,

Quote Originally Posted by Alli View Post
    Any chance of adding one simple feature to make it easier for the iTunes fanboys who have given up the ability to organize their own music and allow sorting by folder?
    Right now, you can browse your music three different ways -- by metadata (My Media Files > Music > Songs|Artists|Albums|Genres), by file structure (My Media Files > My Documents|Storage Card, which are sorted by folder), and by playlist (in any playlist format, including OPML and XSPF).

If I understand what you're asking for, the middle option allows customers to navigate through a sorted folder list now.

-- Charles Wiltgen
    Kinoma Notes blog | Subscribe to blog (email) | Subscribe to blog (RSS) | Follow Kinoma for news/content alerts | Follow KinomaTips for tips/tricks
    Oh Charles...now I feel like a total ***** for not having even noticed that option! It may also give me that last bit of ammunition I need to "convert" Chris back to WM!
    Regarding this original question "Well... why no decent media player for WM? " It seems MS leaves it to the device manufacturers. Perhaps we should be asking why Palm didn't provide a decent built in media player? Because it appears HTC is putting a rather nice media player in their touch devices.
  16.    #116  
    I ought to have phrased the original question a little different.

in WM rather than for WM

Looking at the effort of Microsoft on the desktop (Windows Media Player / Windows Media Center) Windows Mobile is almost 'abandonware'.

Now I'm all set, but it's always nice to open a hot thread
    I'm starting to find that other media player companies are even making software that is better than Microsoft's Media Player for Windows. (I'm not even talking about WM, full blown Windows.)

I guess MS could put more killer applications into WM, but I do recall that when Microsoft was putting lots into MS Windows the OS was being catered to their software and it made for a bunch legal stuff. MS is still dealing with court rulings about all of that. So that may be the reason why they don't put better applications in and focus on the OS. And honestly, I prefer they do it that way.

Sure Apple provides a decent built in media player with their IPhone but they also lock down their devices.
    Lol Poor Charles.

Why are you guys all going on about the lack of .avi support by the Kinoma player?

He is right. Read what he said. While Avi IS still used extensively, both legally and illegally, it is NOT the ideal file format.

For example:

* There is slight overhead when used with popular MPEG-4 codecs (Xvid and DivX, for example), increasing file size more than necessary.

* No native support for modern MPEG-4 features like B-Frames. Hacks are sometimes used to enable modern MPEG-4 features and subtitles, however, this is the source of playback incompatibilities.

* AVI files do not contain pixel aspect ratio information.

* More modern container formats (such as QuickTime, Matroska, Ogg and MP4) offer more flexibility

etc

AVI is popular because of its age and hence, availability. Also, the way data is packaged makes it more suited to streaming than some file types.

I agree with Charles. If you actually cared about video as much as you make out, you would have converted your videos or moved to a different format AGES ago.

Besides, if you want to watch .avi just download the free divx mobile version.

-----

My questions:-

What is the likelihood that you can / will eventually be able to (in the future) watch streamed videos such as those from Megavideo etc?

What is the best supported video format for a QVGA 400 x 240 pixel for a Windows 6.1 (ie. Samsung Omnia). I want to try and keep them high quality for when I eventually get a tv-out cable, but at the same time, I don't want them to lag or suffer any other playback problems as a result of resolution or whatever.

Thanks!

Chris
    Ideal or not, AVI'S STILL IN USE. I've discovered it in use ALL OVER. WMV isn't necessarily a good format either, does Kinoma support that?

Ideal or not, AVI'S STILL IN USE. I've discovered it in use ALL OVER. WMV isn't necessarily a good format either, does Kinoma support that?
    Correct. AVI is commonly used. MKV is commonly used. AVRCP is very commonly used.
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast