Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    I am a registered user of Kinoma Play. I mainly got it to play my type 4 Audible files. The Audible player from Audible will only play type 3 files and only in the left ear. Annoying to say the least but even that inadequate program supports AVRCP. What is the point of only sort of supporting Bluetooth.

I like what is done in Kinoma Play but it is just missing so many things that it is a big disappointment, especially for the price. I still have to have TCPMP etc. to play all my media. I wish Kinoma replaced everything else but based on comments here it seems that they are so near sighted it is never going to improve to achieve the potential it could. Too bad!!
    PalmIII > PalmIIIx > PalmIIIxe > TRGPro > Handera 330 > Zire71 > Treo600 > Treo650 > Treo680 > Treo750 > Centro > TreoPro > iPhone 32GB 3GS

Well all of us except Kinoma agree that Kinoma should support AVI.

But all this talk about CorePlayer got me wanting to try it out. So I went and put down $29.95 to give it a try. I thought it was rather odd that the makers of CorePlayer do not offer any trial version before having to pay. Well I'm only speaking personally of course, but in my opinion I think I found why they don't offer a trial version. The program's user interface is rather pathetic. I mean I find Pocket Media Player to be a little easier to use in regards to navigation. But anyway, I pressed on testing out the program with various media files. What is really sweet about CorePlayer is that it will play just about anything you can toss at it that is optimized for playback on a hand held device. And it uses less than half the resources of Kinoma Play. But given the lame user interface I guess I can see why it uses less resources. I mean file formats that Kinoma can't touch CorePlayer can handle well. I mean if you want a player that can play almost every you can toss at it, CorePlayer is the one. That's a fact! (I did find that neither CorePlayer or Kinoma can play streaming AAC+)

But after giving CorePlayer a test run I had to submit a request for a refund. I mean I don't watch a bunch of videos on my hand held device and don't plan to. I listen to a bunch of music on my hand held device. So at the moment Kinoma Play is all I really need. Although Core Player's BT remote control was a nice feature Kinoma should add. I was thinking perhaps CorePlayer could be something I'd use now and then instead of Kinoma Play, just as a handy alternative, but the CorePlayer user interface is just so pathetic, I don't desire to keep it.

If I do start watching videos on my hand held on a regular basis, I'd buy CorePlayer again in a heartbeat, because nothing can play more than CorePlayer.

And while we've been talking here about AVI, CorePlayer can even play MKV formatted media files! Kinoma Play can't touch MKV formatted files. And we know MKV is very new, it's the best video quality you can get, blu-ray. So if I get into watching videos a good bit on the hand held, I'll be running back to CorePlayer.

Really with these media players, the big question is, what do you do more? If you're into music, you'll probably enjoy Kinoma more. If you're into videos, you'll want CorePlayer.
    I'm not a fan of bad interfaces either, but your review is still revealing about usability. I would like both and if Core handles both, Core. Less resources, Core. On WM, you need all the resources you can get.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Go to PocketMusic, they have a Free version that is pretty cool. See more extensive post in other thread. It looks a lot like PocketTunes, which I had on Palm, but too cheap to pay again for WM. Most of my music is MP3 so not playing anything else is OK. I can convert if I have other formats. Pretty good graphics, volume improvement and I think audio quality improvement too, which the 800w sucks at.

Quote Originally Posted by Fintan View Post
    Try to play a video from my camera... not possible.
    I go look for codecs (like I do on my desktop) - apparently WMPm can not be provided with codecs

Allright...
    I look for another player, on my desktop I have MPclassic as standard now.

However, WM has no decent alternative (unless I did not look hard enough).
    - Kinoma: expensive, demo won't even let you play video and does all kind of weird stuff (like syncing a few GB of media from the desktop without asking... );
    - Coreplayer: proprietary as well

Why is it so hard to play a normal (right?) avi on a mobile device?
    Is WM app development simply 5 years behind compared to the desktop
    Clie>Treo 600p> Treo 650p>Treo 755p>Treo 800w>Palm Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post
    [B]What is really sweet about CorePlayer is that it will play just about anything you can toss at it that is optimized for playback on a hand held device. And it uses less than half the resources of Kinoma Play.
    Correct. Not sure why Kinoma continues to deny it, but CorePlayer delivers better battery performance because it is so much more efficient than Kinoma when playing movies. When it comes to watching DVDs on your phone, nothing can touch CorePlayer.
    Nsxprime, what have you found to be the easiest means to get a DVD to the correct settings for 800w playback?
    I'll be testing the free version of Pocket Music tonight myself. Thanks for posting the option.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Pocket Music used to have real trouble with the key mapping on my 750. I used to use it for my Audible files. On the Pro I tried it but with real VGA the interface bugged me. Is anyone running it with a skin what works at 96dpi? Also anyone else having button issues?
    Last edited by jamesgangut; 02/22/2009 at 03:55 PM.
    PalmIII > PalmIIIx > PalmIIIxe > TRGPro > Handera 330 > Zire71 > Treo600 > Treo650 > Treo680 > Treo750 > Centro > TreoPro > iPhone 32GB 3GS

Paid or free version?

Paid.

Nsxprime, what have you found to be the easiest means to get a DVD to the correct settings for 800w playback?
    I like Nero Recode the best. The quality is good and it's very easy to trim out the beginning credits and ending credits to keep the filesize smaller. You can use the H.264 codec and can set the bitrate to whatever you want.
    Quote Originally Posted by nsxprime View Post
    I like Nero Recode the best. The quality is good and it's very easy to trim out the beginning credits and ending credits to keep the filesize smaller. You can use the H.264 codec and can set the bitrate to whatever you want.
    You know, I was playing with my copy of Nero Recode last night, after I noticed somebody else (Kinoma) recommended it . And it works pretty good. I've got Nero 7 and I'm trying to upgrade to Nero 9 now, to get the latest version of Recode. The version of Recode in Nero 7 works well, but Nero 9's is even better. (Plus there are lots of other things in Nero 9 that I'd like to have.) I've had to call Nero, because my product serial was not working right on their site for upgrade, although I purchased Nero 7 straight from their site back in March of 2007. So their sales folks are trying to figure out what's wrong with their web site, because they've confirmed my product serial is legitimate. (Of course it better be legit, since I paid them directly for it.)

What's interesting about Kinoma's article on Nero Recode, is that they suggest Nero Recode given their video conversion product Kinoma Producer can't do direct DVD file conversion. And guess what, Kinoma Producer can handle AVI files... (Odd that to view AVIs in Kinoma Play you'd have to first convert them to a format Kinoma Play can read, because Kinoma Play does not read AVI files. But the Kinoma conversion utility is so modern it can convert AVI files .) Using a trial copy, I did find Kinoma Producer does a great job for what it's capable of doing, but it can't do DVDs. Also while Kinoma Producer 4 does a good job for what it's capable of, it does not yet have options specifically for the 800w, I had to use 700wx format in my testing of it, but the results were pretty good still.

I've got a license for another conversion program, Replay Converter. I think between that for media files and Nero Recode for DVDs I've got enough. If I do more videos on the Treo I may have to get CorePlayer again, but Nero Recode outputs MPEG-4, which Pocket Media Player and Kinoma Play can play.
    Free version does not enable a lot of the keys, not a big deal I usually select a playlist and just listen. I am more interested in sound quality right now, if I get what is acceptable then I will upgrade to PAID version and get key s to work.

Quote Originally Posted by jamesgangut View Post
    Pocket Music used to have real trouble with the key mapping on my 750. I used to use it for my Audible files. On the Pro I tried it but with real VNC the interface bugged me. Is anyone running it with a skin what works at 96dpi? Also anyone else having button issues?
    Clie>Treo 600p> Treo 650p>Treo 755p>Treo 800w>Palm Pre
    And guess what, Kinoma Producer can handle AVI files... (Odd that to view AVIs in Kinoma Play you'd have to first convert them to a format Kinoma Play can read, because Kinoma Play does not read AVI files. But the Kinoma conversion utility is so modern it can convert AVI files .)
    Too funny. Looks like Kinoma supports piracy after all. LOL

I'm still using Nero v8 and don't think that I'll upgrade to v9 since there doesn't seem to be much reason for me to do so.
    Quote Originally Posted by nsxprime View Post
    Too funny. Looks like Kinoma supports piracy after all. LOL
    Yea, it makes no sense to trash a format when one of your other products supports it.

I'm still using Nero v8 and don't think that I'll upgrade to v9 since there doesn't seem to be much reason for me to do so.
    You obviously have not been reading enough Nero 9 promotional material . Check out the Nero product version comparison chart.
    James,

Quote Originally Posted by jamesgangut View Post
    I like what is done in Kinoma Play but it is just missing so many things that it is a big disappointment...
    You've mentioned AVRCP (a popular request) and AVI file playback (which we won't support directly, but can be either transcoded or played via Orb).

Anything else you consider missing? I want to make sure to capture any other requests that you might have.

-- Charles Wiltgen
    Kinoma Notes blog | Subscribe to blog (email) | Subscribe to blog (RSS) | Follow Kinoma for news/content alerts | Follow KinomaTips for tips/tricks
    Darnell,

And while we've been talking here about AVI, CorePlayer can even play MKV formatted media files! Kinoma Play can't touch MKV formatted files. And we know MKV is very new, blu-ray.
    MKV files are "Matroska" files, a file format created in 2002. Matroska is another in a series of file formats intended to replace AVI, but for various reasons didn't catch on.

Blu-ray doesn't use Matroska files. You might be confusing the extension with .m2ts (MPEG-2 Transport Stream), which is used by Blu-ray.

Hope that's useful,

-- Charles Wiltgen
    Kinoma Notes blog | Subscribe to blog (email) | Subscribe to blog (RSS) | Follow Kinoma for news/content alerts | Follow KinomaTips for tips/tricks
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles@Kinoma View Post
    Darnell,

MKV files are "Matroska" files, a file format created in 2002. Matroska is another in a series of file formats intended to replace AVI, but for various reasons didn't catch on.

Blu-ray doesn't use Matroska files. You might be confusing the extension with .m2ts (MPEG-2 Transport Stream), which is used by Blu-ray.

Hope that's useful,

-- Charles Wiltgen
    MKV is the absolute best format to use when ripping blu-ray disks and preserves blu-ray's superior video quality.

As more people move to wide screen monitors and see the difference, MKV will only grow in use.
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles@Kinoma View Post
    Darnell,

Hope that's useful,

-- Charles Wiltgen
    You are wrong. MKV is a shell that typically uses the AVC video codec along with the AC3 audio codec. It's the absolute best available.
    Charles, if you ever get Kinoma Producer to output files that take full advantage of the 800w/Treo Pro resolution I still might consider getting a license .
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast