1. CDG
    Global Posts
    2,003 Global Posts
    My TP is not opening the pictures stored, it says there is no association. The third party applications on the micro SD work fine.

What am I doing wrong. Please help.

Thanks

PS: Just checked, it is not opening the ones in the main memory either - samw error message

PPS: I can open all from "Pictures & "Video" but not through "File Explorer". Is this normal? I thought I could on the 750.
    Last edited by charlyee; 10/26/2008 at 02:29 PM.
    I dont know if it helps but what I did when I moved a lot of pictures onto my MicroSD was to drop them all in a folder called DCIM, then I went to Multimedia on the phone and opened the pictures.

I hope it helps you out.
    My Modern Theory Of Natural Selection: Anyone dumb enough to do something stupid deserves the consequences... Stupidity is an active choice.

Treo 650------Treo Pro (Oct 08)
    I put mine in a "Photos" folder on the card, and then went through the file explorer to "storage card" and selected the folder. I don't have a Pro though, but the file structure should be almost the same.

Just thought of something. What format are you pictures in? Maybe the phone only takes certain types?
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  4. CDG
    Global Posts
    2,003 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cpt_Chaos View Post
    I dont know if it helps but what I did when I moved a lot of pictures onto my MicroSD was to drop them all in a folder called DCIM, then I went to Multimedia on the phone and opened the pictures.

I hope it helps you out.
    Thanks, it does not seem to matter which folder I put them in, I cannot open them directly from File Explorer but no problems opening them from pictures and video. i am ok with this but I was just curious as to why

Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Just thought of something. What format are you pictures in? Maybe the phone only takes certain types?
    Thanks, they are just standard .jpg. These are actually old pictures that have been accumulated for over a 2 year period.
    Global Posts
    514 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cpt_Chaos View Post
    What IS that DCIM folder, anyway?
    Global Posts
    514 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by charlyee View Post
    Thanks, it does not seem to matter which folder I put them in, I cannot open them directly from File Explorer but no problems opening them from pictures and video. i am ok with this but I was just curious as to why.
    If this was WinXP, I would say it's because you don't have an application 'associated' with that filetype. Do you need to 'associate' filetypes with apps in WM in the same way?
    Global Posts
    984 Global Posts
    DCIM is a standard folder name for digital images. You'll find all digital cameras use this, and lots of software is designed to look for it.
    What happens after you reset the phone, same error? I honestly don't think you should have a problem opening pictures from File Explorer, I was able to do it before. Without assigning any associations.

Some other thoughts. Did something get corrupted? Did you install a program that overtakes the default options for opening photos? Sometimes once you do that, things get reassigned. I've had to uninstall programs that "took over", so to speak. Unless I really liked the program, such as my calender program. But sometimes you do need to be sure of whether or not a program you install will change the defaults.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  9. CDG
    Global Posts
    2,003 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    What happens after you reset the phone, same error? I honestly don't think you should have a problem opening pictures from File Explorer, I was able to do it before. Without assigning any associations.

Some other thoughts. Did something get corrupted? Did you install a program that overtakes the default options for opening photos? Sometimes once you do that, things get reassigned. I've had to uninstall programs that "took over", so to speak. Unless I really liked the program, such as my calender program. But sometimes you do need to be sure of whether or not a program you install will change the defaults.
    Yep, same error. I think I should be able to also since I could do it on my 750.

I don't believe I installed anything relating to photos, infact everything I have installed had also been on my 750, nothing new.

PS: I don't see any option to manually assign an association either.
    If all else fails, try a hard reset. I know doing that sucks, but I think something got corrupted in the file database. But then I'm not a pro, it's just my thought.

Another thought before you do that. How about removing all the pictures off your phone and card, and adding them back?

I have a Pro, I used file explorer, browsed to an image on my card and it opened fine.
    Then I went to 'Start Menu -> Pictures & Videos, clicked on the top left drop down arrow chose 'Storage Card' and they are all there - also open fine.
    I can also choose DCIM and all open fine there also.
    Just call me Berd.
  12. CDG
    Global Posts
    2,003 Global Posts
    Everything is fine except I can't open it from File Explorer.

I guess I can do a hard rest now or wait until I mess up something worse then do one.

I am leaning towards the latter sine I can open them through "Picture & Video".
  13. CDG
    Global Posts
    2,003 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by charlyee View Post
    Everything is fine except I can't open it from File Explorer.

I guess I can do a hard rest now or wait until I mess up something worse then do one.

I am leaning towards the latter sine I can open them through "Picture & Video".
    I broke down and a hard reset. I can now open my pictures from the File Explorer also.
    I suspected something was corrupted. It's a shame only resets help. I wish there was a software for WM that can isolate errors and fix them, just like there is for the desktop.

15. CDG
    Global Posts
    2,003 Global Posts
    Thanks, it took me almost 2 hours to get everything restored. I did have a Sprite backup but didn't want to use that since i didn't know at what point it got corrupted.

Now my TP is perfect.

All I am missing is a program to make the LED blink with E-Mail etc.
  16. CDG
    Global Posts
    2,003 Global Posts
    Interesting, now it has gone back to not being able to open from File Explorer again. I am wondering if MemMaid is deleting sdmething during "cleaning".

I am going to leave it this way since I know it does work & one of my third party applications is causing the problem.
    Just discovered something. Did you have some type of photo viewer installed, and perhaps uninstalled it and it didn't go back to normal? I installed Kinoma and now all photos by default open in Kinoma from File Explorer. They still open under "My Stuff", AT&T's version of "Pictures, Video, Music". I didn't uninstall Kinoma because I like it, but still I do know that some programs don't uninstall from the registry right.

Even though this is on the Epix, the OS can't be that much different except for Palm's tweaks, so I wonder if that could be it.

18. CDG
    Global Posts
    2,003 Global Posts
    Nope, I actually had not. I did hard reset again after I removed RealVGA & now the pictures are opening from within File Explorer.
    I didn't realize how much I repeated myself from an earlier statement, sorry about that.
    But installing Kinoma showed almost exactly what I've seen happen before.

So you don't know what caused the corruption?

20. CDG
    Global Posts
    2,003 Global Posts
    Absolutely no idea, just hoping whatever it was "cured" itself.