1.    #1  
    Before I go crazy with WM 6.1, I would like to share the issue and get your (experts) advise...

I am coming from Treo 680 running Documents to Go and Card Reader. I was able to connect the 680 to my PC (USB) and open up any native Office files reside on the 680 (edit and save etc) with my PC, no issue at all. To my PC, the 680 is just another USB drive - works perfectly.

Here comes WM6.1 (Treo Pro). with USB and ActivSync, I was able to read the Storage Card (I can see my Office documents) but, not able to open it. Nor I can open JPG files.

Was the problem with me or WM6.1?

I recall with Treo 750 (I sold it already) running WM5, I was able to open Treo 750 Office documents from my PC (via USB cable).

Please HELP! Thank you!!!
    What version of Office do you have on your pc?
    SOrry to hear that you are having so much trouble, but I also have to ask what version of office do you have?

I recently switched from a Treo 650 to the Pro and I also backed up all my documents to be transferred. In the activesync, I clicked on the transfer files and it created a folder in Mydocuments where I simply drag and dropped the files into and it synced perfectly and uploaded the documents. Then I just went into programs-Office documents on the Pro and was able to view them.

Later I went into the SD card and created a special folder to put all of my documents into (not necessary but I like neat) and still no problems.

It could be because you are running an older copy of office, that is my guess. I am running Office 2007 and have no problems.
    My Modern Theory Of Natural Selection: Anyone dumb enough to do something stupid deserves the consequences... Stupidity is an active choice.

Treo 650------Treo Pro (Oct 08)
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cpt_Chaos View Post
    SOrry to hear that you are having so much trouble, but I also have to ask what version of office do you have?

I recently switched from a Treo 650 to the Pro and I also backed up all my documents to be transferred. In the activesync, I clicked on the transfer files and it created a folder in Mydocuments where I simply drag and dropped the files into and it synced perfectly and uploaded the documents. Then I just went into programs-Office documents on the Pro and was able to view them.

Later I went into the SD card and created a special folder to put all of my documents into (not necessary but I like neat) and still no problems.

It could be because you are running an older copy of office, that is my guess. I am running Office 2007 and have no problems.
    I run MS Office 2003 - indeed an older version of the office. Would it be the reason? But, what about the JPG (pictures) not able to open? If Office 2003 is indeed the issue, I will consider to upgrade... Please advise... Thank you in advance...
    Not sure what the issue is with jpgs.
    But the Pro Office files like .xls are .xlsx
    and .doc are .docx
    You don't have to upgrade your Desktop Office, MS offers a free converter for xlsx to xls. there's also free docx to doc converters.
    Just call me Berd.
    Quote Originally Posted by publicid View Post
    Here comes WM6.1 (Treo Pro). with USB and ActivSync, I was able to read the Storage Card (I can see my Office documents) but, not able to open it. Nor I can open JPG files.

Was the problem with me or WM6.1?

I recall with Treo 750 (I sold it already) running WM5, I was able to open Treo 750 Office documents from my PC (via USB cable).

Please HELP! Thank you!!!
    My understanding is that you cannot open files stored on the Treo (not storage card, nor memory) on the desktop. What you can do, is open the files with which they are synced on the desktop.

If you select "Files" sync with Activesync, a directory is created in My Documents on the desktop (I think it is called something like Treo My Documents). Any files placed in that directory are synced with the Treo. They are stored in memory, not the Storage Card on the Treo. You can open the synced version on the files in Treo My Documents on the desktop, but not the versions on the Treo. This works with both Office 2003 and 2007,so no need to upgrade for that reason. On another note, my experience, however is that sync with outlook works more reliably with Office 2007 than with Office 2003.

HTH,
    G