Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I've posted this in the bugs list thread, but it's not getting much attention there.

My 800w's screen lights up randomly (showing windows mobile now/spb today screens) during screensaver, then turns itself off. After doing this a couple of times, the entire phone (white screen + keyboard) lights up on full intensity and it doesnt turn off until i hit the red end button.

This is a major drain on my battery. I want to avoid hard resetting, so as anyone found any fixes or reg tweaks yet?
    .......... take the battery out, and put it back in...

.......... a soft reset on a regular basis will cure the problem... well it did for me

.......... this forum is lame. everyone on here acts like they have the perfect device and the problem/troubleshoot threads usually get highjacked and another topic is replaced. go to ppcgeeks.com bro if you wanna' get isht' handled....

.......... lol just bein' honest w/ you
    I had the same issue with spb when I tried it. As soon as I deleted it the problem went away. SPB needs to wake up and realize that they can write "one size fits all" programs that tweak the UI and not have problmes on most if not all devices.
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    No tweaks besides a soft reset. I agree with noname. The 800w is full of bugs.
    Quote Originally Posted by noname View Post

.......... this forum is lame. everyone on here acts like they have the perfect device and the problem/troubleshoot threads usually get highjacked and another topic is replaced. go to ppcgeeks.com bro if you wanna' get isht' handled....

.......... lol just bein' honest w/ you
    You're dead on. Its the same people who are honest enough to post about the bugs. The others defend the device and claim it's damn near perfect. I am one of the honest ones. I ask for help because this things is littered.
    ATT History- From 1997-2001-> Nokia 6362->Motorola StarTac->Nokia 8260.

Nextel History From 2001-2004-> Motorola i1000-> Motorola i90c-> Motorola i95cl-> Motorola i730->Motorola i850.

Sprint History From 2005 - Currently->Sanyo 5500-> Sanyo 5600-> Sanyo-> 7400->Sanyo 8300->Sanyo->7500-> Sanyo 9000->Sanyo 8400->Sanyo M1->PPC-6700->Treo 700wx->PPC-6800(Mogul)-> Motorola Q9C-> Treo 800w-> Curve->Treo 800w->Touch Pro->Treo Pro> Curve "M"->HTC Hero.
    Quote Originally Posted by VibrantRedGT View Post
    You're dead on. Its the same people who are honest enough to post about the bugs. The others defend the device and claim it's damn near perfect. I am one of the honest ones. I ask for help because this things is littered.
    So are you saying that those that do not experience all the problems that you do are lying?

I have experienced a few minor problems here and there but 100% of them were caused by poorly written 3rd party software or other tweaks that I made. The same could be said for all the palm OS devices that I have owned.

IMO, the problem with Windows Mobile devices is that the hardware really varies from one manufacturer to another and the 3rd party programs that work fine on one device, crash and cause major problems on another device. Especially those that tweak the UI.

IMO, if you are going to play around with 3rd party software and hacks then you have to be willing to spend a lot of time troubleshooting and tweaking to get things running smooth.
    Last edited by rc46; 10/27/2008 at 10:25 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by rc46 View Post
    So are you sayin that those that do not experience all the problems that you do are lying?

I have experienced a few minor problems here and there but 100% of them were caused by poorly written 3rd party software or other tweaks that I made. The same could be said for all the palm OS devices that I have owned.

IMO, the problem with Windows Mobile devices is that the hardware really varies from one manufacturer to another and the 3rd party programs that work fine on one device, crash and cause major problems on another device. Especially those that tweak the UI.

IMO, if you are going to play around with 3rd party software and hacks then you have to be willing to spend a lot of time troubleshooting and tweaking to ge things running smooth.
    Not lying just not being honest. "Battery life is great", yeah then you woke up and ate pancakes. I'm not going to mention names but there is no way in their devices are perfect as they say. That is all I'm saying. No need to read into it. I have one item installed (Memmaid) and the device works decent. I've installed 2 programs (WeatherPanel & Quick Menu) and all hell broke lose. You're right 3rd party apps are a problem. Again, no way in hell their devices are perfect with a crap load of 3rd party apps running either.

Nextel History From 2001-2004-> Motorola i1000-> Motorola i90c-> Motorola i95cl-> Motorola i730->Motorola i850.

Sprint History From 2005 - Currently->Sanyo 5500-> Sanyo 5600-> Sanyo-> 7400->Sanyo 8300->Sanyo->7500-> Sanyo 9000->Sanyo 8400->Sanyo M1->PPC-6700->Treo 700wx->PPC-6800(Mogul)-> Motorola Q9C-> Treo 800w-> Curve->Treo 800w->Touch Pro->Treo Pro> Curve "M"->HTC Hero.
    Hey, I think I've been honest. If not, I'll show you some of my post where I've been honest, rude and even sarcastic at times. I love my 800w. Other than the battery life, I have nothing to complain about.

Yeah, battery life sucks, I've grown to live with it. Besides, I have 2 extra spare batteries, a Seidio spare battery charger, 2 wall chargers (one in my room, one in my basement), and a car charger. But don't let this be another battery thread.

Anyways, regarding the OP's backlight issues. I haven't experienced any, as of yet. The only Sbp products I use is Sbp Time and Sbp Diary. I used to use Sbp Shell, but stopped, since it was just kind of a cool looking factor for me with no other functionality. Besides, I only use the Today Now screen of Sbp Shell and use Small Menu Plus for executing apps.
    I have this same problem with the backlight. I installed phonealarm a few days ago and have not had a normal phone since. After installing it my phone would not ring (yes I went through and changed all the settings back), my backlight comes on at random or stays on after a reminder or sms message. I have removed phonealarm from my phone and done two hard resets and still have the backlight issue. I am going to do another hard reset and try to get it back to some form of normal tonight. I guess I can say I have learned my lesson with these apps.
    Found the same issue whenever I have TomTom v6 running in the background - strange vertical lines appearing, screen turns on and off, and the screen going very dark black/blue. It seems to me that certain apps running the background will cause this.
    The rainbow or colored vertical lines is not only caused by third party apps. We had it present for the first day on an 800w. It stopped occurring, and then returned after about six weeks. After a hard reset and no third party apps it was occurring again and we had it replaced. I know for certain this was not the first time Sprint had seen this after hard reset as they knew exactly what I was reporting. The keyboard was also lighting randomly and the backlight would also randomly shut down.

So I think the advice to look at third party software is good, but one should also be aware that this can occur in certain 800w's based on some Palm hardware or Palm installed driver failure.
    Quote Originally Posted by SpriteGF View Post
    No tweaks besides a soft reset. I agree with noname. The 800w is full of bugs.
    No question about it. Throw another log on the fire.
    Not lying just not being honest. "Battery life is great", yeah then you woke up and ate pancakes. I'm not going to mention names but there is no way in their devices are perfect as they say. That is all I'm saying. No need to read into it.
    So you are calling people with no issues liars then...I mean, what else does "not being honest" mean? lol You should be a politician.

A bug is simple: it need to be able to be replicated on all devices.

The GPS issue is such a bug. So is the PRL one.

Random quirks related to either hardware failures or problems related to the OS are not bugs (unless it is something universal across WM6.1, like the corrupted SMTP settings in email).

Fact is, most people are not experiencing their 800w's screen lighting up randomly and you can't force the issue on any 800w.

drtreo and you both mention "PhoneAlarm" which was known to have backlight issues prior to version 2.07--hence that problem. Had you read the change log, you would have noticed that.

Also, a lot of people asking for help in forums (in general) are very vague: they rarely tell the version numbers of their software, let alone what they have actually installed. It makes troubleshooting very difficult--we have to ask for all the information.

To the OP: no, there are no fixes or reg tweaks yet as it can't be replicated on many devices. And PPCGeeks won't tell you any different.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Not lying just not being honest. "Battery life is great", yeah then you woke up and ate pancakes. I'm not going to mention names but there is no way in their devices are perfect as they say. That is all I'm saying. No need to read into it. I have one item installed (Memmaid) and the device works decent. I've installed 2 programs (WeatherPanel & Quick Menu) and all hell broke lose. You're right 3rd party apps are a problem. Again, no way in hell their devices are perfect with a crap load of 3rd party apps running either.
    I have some, but not a huge number, of 4rd party apps. My battery life is great - I typically go from 8:30AM to 5PM and have 65% of my power left. Unless I'm just not being honest.

I have enough sense of self that I don't think I need to lie to a bunch of strangers on a message board and try to prove that I have the best phone.
    Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy

Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    So you are calling people with no issues liars then...I mean, what else does "not being honest" mean? lol You should be a politician.

A bug is simple: it need to be able to be replicated on all devices.

The GPS issue is such a bug. So is the PRL one.

Random quirks related to either hardware failures or problems related to the OS are not bugs (unless it is something universal across WM6.1, like the corrupted SMTP settings in email).

Fact is, most people are not experiencing their 800w's screen lighting up randomly and you can't force the issue on any 800w.

drtreo and you both mention "PhoneAlarm" which was known to have backlight issues prior to version 2.07--hence that problem. Had you read the change log, you would have noticed that.

Also, a lot of people asking for help in forums (in general) are very vague: they rarely tell the version numbers of their software, let alone what they have actually installed. It makes troubleshooting very difficult--we have to ask for all the information.

To the OP: no, there are no fixes or reg tweaks yet as it can't be replicated on many devices. And PPCGeeks won't tell you any different.
    Nope, not calling anyone in particular a liar. I just find it hard to believe in my experience that the 3 devices I had/have came with quirks and lets say you (Mal) has a perfect device. I have nothing on my device (well Memmaid now) and it is really the only way it will run with stability. I do know that many of the faithful are on their second unit (darnell, hannip and more). I am not saying all 800's are junk. This 3rd unit I have now is better than the first 2 I had. Well I am having weird issues with this one too. You say (Mal) a bug needs to replicated on every device. Bugs- Poor speaker phone audio quality (pretty useless to have a conversation), low muffled earpiece quality, sub par battery life, no standalone GPS is all I will mention. I know you and others will say these do not apply to me and give reasons why. All 3 of my devices experience all of these. So they are just mine I bet. The threads that asked about this stuff was just their devices I'm sure. This is where I throw the not being honest flag. Like many say its not perfect so why can't people admit that? Seems like people have to defend whatever device they are using. Something negative is said then these threads turn into a bunch of bickering. This what I was saying with the comment.

Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    The rainbow or colored vertical lines is not only caused by third party apps. We had it present for the first day on an 800w. It stopped occurring, and then returned after about six weeks. After a hard reset and no third party apps it was occurring again and we had it replaced. I know for certain this was not the first time Sprint had seen this after hard reset as they knew exactly what I was reporting. The keyboard was also lighting randomly and the backlight would also randomly shut down.

So I think the advice to look at third party software is good, but one should also be aware that this can occur in certain 800w's based on some Palm hardware or Palm installed driver failure.
    Yuck. Doesn't sound like fun. Palm must be struggling with their quality control since so many 800w's have loads of bugs while other "magical" ones out there don't have many of the problems.
    Bugs- Poor speaker phone audio quality (pretty useless to have a conversation), low muffled earpiece quality, sub par battery life, no standalone GPS is all I will mention.
    Some of these are not bugs but design isues e.g the battery is not a bug.

It is also a strawman to ascribe terms like "perfect" when discussing other users experiences.

No one says their device is perfect. And to set up the "us vs. them" argument as those who say theirs is perfect vs. those with isues is false.

There is not a WM device out there without a page full of bugs, issues or design flaws. Not one.

Just because a few have a unique problem also does not mean that everyone is experiencing the same.
    Some of these are not bugs but design isues e.g the battery is not a bug.

It is also a strawman to ascribe terms like "perfect" when discussing other users experiences.

No one says their device is perfect. And to set up the "us vs. them" argument as those who say theirs is perfect vs. those with isues is false.

There is not a WM device out there without a page full of bugs, issues or design flaws. Not one.

Just because a few have a unique problem also does not mean that everyone is experiencing the same.
    Exactly the answer I expected.

Back on topic, I am now experiencing backlight issues. I have 1 minute set for all but it keeps changing to 5, 5 and 10 minutes. Since everyone in this thread is NOT having this issue I'm sure it's a "unique problem" and not a bug.

Yes, but enough people are experiencing this and the rainbow lines that it has a note over at Sprint to try hard reset and if it conditions return to replace the 800w.

Clearly this is something wrong with a certain number out of the box.
    add me to the list.

after hard reset, now i have this problem.

used to only be with live search in the background.

soft reset makes it go away (so far)

i had to hard reset because the treo would delete files and folders off my card. i used a file recovery software piece and not even listed on the drive.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast