1.    #1  
    ya know when you go here with all connections off it still tracks ur position, so basically doesn't that mean if u had a stand alone program with maps on the device that standalone gps does work?
    Turn off all your connections (phone in particular). Wait 5 minutes. Do a soft reset. Don't enable any radios, then try and see what you get from the GPS.

What you're seeing are the residuals of an already initiated aGPS, aGPS that requires a carrier signal to start. And you might even have still been picking up cell tower signals.
  3.    #3  
    good point. I've done the same thing you mention on my old curve and it worked. in the settings it says on source ms-assisted, something else and standalone? odd
  4.    #4  
    well, it looked like it was doing something! lol. so then I was disappointed and started trying to put in more ##-# codes and ended up getting (excess spc failures) and had to do a soft reset! any others besides data, gps, debug, evdo?
    There's one for RTN Reset, but you really don't want to go playing with that unless you really need to use it.