Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. hjt
    I've had my Treo Pro for 2 weeks now and found it a bit slow after coming from a 650.

But today I turned off cleartype and everything is much quicker. I use Agenda One which was slow before but now is nearly as quick as Datebk6 on my 650. Lots of other applications are much quicker too... I found before that entering text into the SMS app was a pain as the cursor was always behind what I was typing - but not with ClearType off..

This may be obvious to some people but I never realised that WM applying ClearType to your fonts would be sooo slow.

To turn ClearType off - Start/Settings/System - Screen - ClearType Tab.

Bear in mind that some applications have their own setting for ClearType which will also need to be turned off (i.e. Agenda One)
    Thanks for the tip. I'll give it a try.
    I tried. but then the font really looks terrible.
  4. hjt
    The fonts don't look as nice as with cleartype but I prefer the extra speed it gives you.

In fact I prefer the fonts without ClearType - reminds me of my Palm days.....
    Here's the strange thing, unchecking ClearType does noticeably speed up your Pro and if you re-check the box, the speed sticks around for a while. I was able to enjoy the faster speed for about an hour but after using the Pro to check some messaging and sending out a few emails, it reverted to the slower speed.

I wonder if there's a buffer somewhere?
  6. hjt
    coppertop- I haven't had the same slowdown as you. Mine has stayed the same speed.
    Quote Originally Posted by coppertop View Post
    Here's the strange thing, unchecking ClearType does noticeably speed up your Pro and if you re-check the box, the speed sticks around for a while. I was able to enjoy the faster speed for about an hour but after using the Pro to check some messaging and sending out a few emails, it reverted to the slower speed.

I wonder if there's a buffer somewhere?

Bcoz you opened some program, and it's still on in the back, so you feel the fast speed even with check on. But once u shut down all background running software and reset, the world is back to old stone age...
    yep... you're right. To me, a measure of processing speed is how long it takes the Pro to pull up the Contacts screen. When I first unchecked cleartype, it was instantaneous but I didn't realize it was running in the background.

Shutting down cleartype, I think you do get a little speed but you have to weigh a slight boost in speed against the smoother edges cleartype offers.
    yep... you're right. To me, a measure of processing speed is how long it takes the Pro to pull up the Contacts screen. When I first unchecked cleartype, it was instantaneous but I didn't realize it was running in the background.

Shutting down cleartype, I think you do get a little speed but you have to weigh a slight boost in speed against the smoother edges cleartype offers.
    It's always painful when I first pull up the Contacts screen, every time after waiting for 4 to 5 secs, I just doubt why I spent nearly 600 bucks for this slow machine!
    4 or 5?
    And I thought my 2-3 was an eternity.
    Remember that thread that mentioned something was taking up about 160MB of memory, compared to the 800w? Did anyone ever find out what it was? That could be what's causing the slow down.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    4 or 5?
    And I thought my 2-3 was an eternity.
    I just repeat the experiment, with one clock at hand, shut down all hidden software, it took almost 7 sec (between 6 to 7), between the moment I click the CONTACT, and the moment the Contact screen shows up.

Amazing. You got only 2-3? Lucky guy
    Global Posts
    514 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by treopq View Post
    I just repeat the experiment, with one clock at hand, shut down all hidden software, it took almost 7 sec (between 6 to 7), between the moment I click the CONTACT, and the moment the Contact screen shows up.
    Slightly more than one second, but easily less than two.
    Would it depend on how many contacts one has? I have 2000+ loaded in the Treo Pro and I used a stopwatch (Khronos actually on my Treo 680 ) and timed a 3.5 sec launch of Contacts from scratch right from the Today screen (i.e. no previous running processes). Not as snappy as Garnet but hey its tolerable.
    Check out my My Medical webOS Apps
    Featured free apps: DrugView | Eponyms | eMed | Dosecalcfree | Beeb News
    Global Posts
    514 Global Posts
    I have 560 contacts, so what you suggest would seem about right.
    Anyway the delay is only for the initial launch. If one frequently accesses the Contacts database, I guess it's best just leave it running.
    Check out my My Medical webOS Apps
    Featured free apps: DrugView | Eponyms | eMed | Dosecalcfree | Beeb News
    Maybe a second for 1,200 contacts. This is NOT a problem on my device. 6 to 7 seconds is inexcusable. Any chance you are having a conflict or some other 3rd party software is killing your resources?
    PDA Lineage: Palm Pilot, Palm V, Palm Tungsten, Treo 650 (Cingular), Treo 750 (AT&T), Treo Pro GSM (unlocked), Pre Plus (AT&T), Pre 2 GSM (unlocked), Pre 3 16GB (AT&T Branded) and Touchpad 32 GB
    My guess is that you folks aren't letting the contacts program run in the background, and instead closing it each time you exit. I have huge medical and notes databases that open and close in a second or less, but only if I let them run in the background. I highly recommend SPB Pocket Plus (the beta version that is in their forums) for the close button and making the contact program an "exception." I think the built-in close button software may have this same functionality, but I never really explored it.
    Currently using a Treo Pro with Seidio's holster.
    I just installed RealVGA at 96dpi and coincidentally unticked Cleartype because it didn't look so good with RealVGA. Woah.... noticably faster. Thanks for the tip. I've got the best of both worlds now. :-)
  20. hjt
    Maybe we could make this thread a sticky. Or create a new thread with tips on settings to check to keep your device running smoothly.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast