Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    The Pro is now listed on Best Buy's website. However, when I called all of my local area stores, they said that they would not have it in stock because it's an online-only phone. They said, possibly, within a few weeks, some of the stores may get shipped floor displays, so I'll need to check back then.
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    Still nothing at my local Best Buy.
    And it's odd...I just clicked on the Best Buy link in my post above, and now it indicates that the device (or rather the page) is no longer available. Did Best Buy do an about-face on selling the Pro?
    Yeah, you cant even find it on Best Buys sight anymore.
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    Take it with a grain of salt (the person who I talked with wasn't the sharpest knife in the drawer), but apparently Best Buy doesn't have an estimate of when they'll come in or even if they'll get them. Apparently the Treo Pro isn't even in the computer anymore, according to the guy at the store today.
    Do you want to get one in Cook County IL anyway. high tax bites hard! I'm so tempted to no longer even buy anything over $100 in brick and mortar stores unless I really have to. Maybe because I can return things easier, but the tax bites badly.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Do you want to get one in Cook County IL anyway. high tax bites hard! I'm so tempted to no longer even buy anything over $100 in brick and mortar stores unless I really have to. Maybe because I can return things easier, but the tax bites badly.
    Not a chance in hell. Anything I buy, I buy when I'm out in Algonquin (where I have quite a few clients).

I just want to hold it in my hand and make sure it feels like something I want.
    Where's the Best Buy in Algonquin? I'll take a train out there(or get someone to drive me) and have it delivered if it's too big, LOL! *I need a new big screen TV.* Anything to avoid that tax and I can still return it to the ones in the city.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    It's a new one off Randall Rd., just south of Hwy. 62. It's not close, by any stretch of the imagination - around an hour each way.

Not sure if it's worth 2+ hours to save $30 or so. Of course, the $0.20 per gallon you can save buying gas when you are out there does help.
    If I get a large TV or full featured laptop, it'll be way more than $30 in tax. $30 is probably the shipping charge, LOL!

I hate anything near and over $100 in tax, so I'll try to pay as little as possible in tax. I've done it before, but never again since the tax is really high. Thanks Stroger.

Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    Even if you buy it out in Algonquin, you'll still pay 7.5% tax - only 3% less. If you were to buy a TV priced at $1500, your savings is only $45.

Just remember, by living in Cook Co. we're paying the highest taxes of anywhere in the U.S. (approximately 50% of our incomes) other than NYC (I think).
    $45 could go toward groceries.

Sometimes BB doesn't charge full County tax online, but the base IL tax. We'll see. I'll be looking at options in December when things will likely go on sale.

Lots of Chicago folks on this board, and strangely enough, I used to live right by Algonquin since my parents live by there. I've bought many things from that Best Buy on Randall, and continue to do so
    Looks like the Pro is back on Best Buy's website, although it indicates it's only available via online purchase only. I'll continue to call my local Best Buy stores to find out if they will have a floor model on display...
    Quote Originally Posted by hockey View Post
    Looks like the Pro is back on Best Buy's website, although it indicates it's only available via online purchase only. I'll continue to call my local Best Buy stores to find out if they will have a floor model on display...
    There are better places to buy it, though. Right now, Palm's discounting puts it at $449 with free shipping, Amazon has it for $499, Tiger Direct is $529, J&R is $549 (Palm's original price). If I were buying a Treo Pro right now, I don't think I'd find BestBuy's $599 very attractive. Maybe it's their way of convincing themselves it's not a seller & they shouldn't have decided to sell it in the first place.
    Well, the reason I'm hoping that Best Buy will carry the phone is not because of their exorbitant price, as you rightly pointed out, but rather the hope that they will carry a floor model so that I can try out the phone in person before purchasing it (from another vendor with a cheaper price!). I want to see what the keyboard and the other aspects of the phone are like before putting down the money to purchase it, since I've heard both positive and negative reviews about it. There is a Best Buy less than a mile from my house, so that's why I remain hopeful that they will get in a floor model.
    Buy it from Palm & if you don't like it you can return it within 30 days. Being able to use it for more than 5 minutes in a store would give you a more realistic view of the device.
    Yes, I could return it, but I'd lose any shipping charges and possible re-stocking fees. Plus, I'm hoping that the longer I hold out with buying the Pro, the chances of Palm/HTC resolving the body cracking issues increases with subsequent revisions/releases of the model.
    I spotted the Treo Pro at the local Best Buy in Cary, North Carolina. It wasnt a working display but the dummy, but they had it displayed. Price was $599...
    Fix it 'til it's broke!
    Treo Pro on AT&T
  20. CDG
    Global Posts
    2,003 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hockey View Post
    Yes, I could return it, but I'd lose any shipping charges and possible re-stocking fees. Plus, I'm hoping that the longer I hold out with buying the Pro, the chances of Palm/HTC resolving the body cracking issues increases with subsequent revisions/releases of the model.
    There are no restocking charges if you buy from Palm. Shipping was free, although if you do return it you will have to pay for the shipping back.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast