Results 1 to 19 of 19
  1.    #1  
    A couple of us in the Pro Forum are having an issue that we need some help with.

    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=173071

    On your 800, take an existing contact and add a number or email address.
    You might also try it by editing an existing appointment.

    As soon as you click 'Ok' a sync should be initiated.
    Just call me Berd.
  2. #2  
    Editing a current calendar entry does not appear to trigger a sync. Entering a new event does.

    It appears to be the same for contacts as well. I can edit an existing and it does not trigger a sync. I can enter a new contact and it does trigger a sync.

    deleting and entry, calendar or contacts, does seem to trigger a sync.
    Sprint 600 - 650 - 755 - Mogul - 700Wx - Centro - 800W & iPhone
  3.    #3  
    Perfect!
    Thanks so much.

    On WM 6.0 it's instant.
    The second you edit contact or appointment a sync is initiated.

    It seems that there is an issue with 6.1.

    My test involved using my 750 with two different roms.
    With 6.0 a sync is initiated as soon as I click 'Ok'
    But not with 6.1

    I think we have a WM 6.1 Bug. Device Indepentant.
  4. #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    Perfect!
    Thanks so much.

    On WM 6.0 it's instant.
    The second you edit contact or appointment a sync is initiated.

    It seems that there is an issue with 6.1.

    My test involved using my 750 with two different roms.
    With 6.0 a sync is initiated as soon as I click 'Ok'
    But not with 6.1

    I think we have a WM 6.1 Bug. Device Indepentant.
    It may be an intentional choice by MS.

    6.1 is known for being *MUCH* easier on the battery than 6.0. One might assume that not running a sync anytime you make the smallest change to a contact could be one of them.

    An appointment usually needs to show up right away both in Outlook and on the device. A new contact needs to show up. A modified contact...well, it's likely not going to be so important that it can't wait until the normal scheduled synch.

    Think about it, if I go through and edit 100 contacts on my device, it's likely that each edit will be far enough apart that it'll trigger an individual synch. 100 synchs will really hurt you on power. 1-3 synchs won't.

    I'd be willing to bet that this is not a bug.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebag333 View Post
    It may be an intentional choice by MS.

    6.1 is known for being *MUCH* easier on the battery than 6.0. One might assume that not running a sync anytime you make the smallest change to a contact could be one of them.

    An appointment usually needs to show up right away both in Outlook and on the device. A new contact needs to show up. A modified contact...well, it's likely not going to be so important that it can't wait until the normal scheduled synch.

    Think about it, if I go through and edit 100 contacts on my device, it's likely that each edit will be far enough apart that it'll trigger an individual synch. 100 synchs will really hurt you on power. 1-3 synchs won't.

    I'd be willing to bet that this is not a bug.
    You're prolly right - Intentional (Not a Bug)
    Thanks

    I wonder if it's in the registry somewhere. hmm. maybe when I have the time.
    No big deal.
    Just call me Berd.
  6. sansnil's Avatar
    Posts
    219 Posts
    Global Posts
    221 Global Posts
    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebag333 View Post
    It may be an intentional choice by MS.

    6.1 is known for being *MUCH* easier on the battery than 6.0. One might assume that not running a sync anytime you make the smallest change to a contact could be one of them.

    An appointment usually needs to show up right away both in Outlook and on the device. A new contact needs to show up. A modified contact...well, it's likely not going to be so important that it can't wait until the normal scheduled synch.

    Think about it, if I go through and edit 100 contacts on my device, it's likely that each edit will be far enough apart that it'll trigger an individual synch. 100 synchs will really hurt you on power. 1-3 synchs won't.

    I'd be willing to bet that this is not a bug.
    Also thanks for checking on your side. I have a feeling it was a change by MS but I wish they would have made available a setting to enable/disable that. I would prefer an instant sync and am fine with any battery impact resulting as I don't think it would be huge. As with most things like that, ultimately I think it's best to give the user a choice as we all know from reading Forums people's preferences vary.

    Perhaps there's a registry setting out there to do this...?
  7. #7  
    ActiveSync with 6.1 and Vista has just been a nightmare for me. I cannot get anything to sync right now. Lately I've been updating on my device then syncing with Exchange. This is a workaround instead of using Outlook. It is really annoying. You Pro guys are not alone.
    ATT History- From 1997-2001-> Nokia 6362->Motorola StarTac->Nokia 8260.

    Nextel History From 2001-2004-> Motorola i1000-> Motorola i90c-> Motorola i95cl-> Motorola i730->Motorola i850.

    Sprint History From 2005 - Currently->Sanyo 5500-> Sanyo 5600-> Sanyo-> 7400->Sanyo 8300->Sanyo->7500-> Sanyo 9000->Sanyo 8400->Sanyo M1->PPC-6700->Treo 700wx->PPC-6800(Mogul)-> Motorola Q9C-> Treo 800w-> Curve->Treo 800w->Touch Pro->Treo Pro> Curve "M"->HTC Hero.
  8. #8  
    VibrantRedGT, do you not use OTA with Exchange? You may have said so in other threads but I don't remember. You seem to have a lot of problems with syncing your 800w. I have not had a single problem syncing with my Vista or XP Pro machine as well as email, contacts, calendar, and tasks OTA.

    On my Vista machine I don't use ActiveSync, I use the Mobile "whatever it's called". I don't seem to have problems with syncing.
    Sprint 600 - 650 - 755 - Mogul - 700Wx - Centro - 800W & iPhone
  9. #9  
    Yes, I have a Microsoft Exchange account. Like I mentioned since I cannot sync I am manually making changes on my device then syncing with Exchange. I would love to use my Laptop. It does establish a connection and I can view items on my device. However if I make changes to a contact or add an appointment it will not sync to my device. Funny part is this has only happened with the 800. Never had an issue syncing with other Windows devices. Maybe 6.1 may be the culprit after all. Funny thing is my wife has 6.1 on her Q9C and it syncs fine.
    ATT History- From 1997-2001-> Nokia 6362->Motorola StarTac->Nokia 8260.

    Nextel History From 2001-2004-> Motorola i1000-> Motorola i90c-> Motorola i95cl-> Motorola i730->Motorola i850.

    Sprint History From 2005 - Currently->Sanyo 5500-> Sanyo 5600-> Sanyo-> 7400->Sanyo 8300->Sanyo->7500-> Sanyo 9000->Sanyo 8400->Sanyo M1->PPC-6700->Treo 700wx->PPC-6800(Mogul)-> Motorola Q9C-> Treo 800w-> Curve->Treo 800w->Touch Pro->Treo Pro> Curve "M"->HTC Hero.
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    I wonder if it's in the registry somewhere. hmm. maybe when I have the time. No big deal.
    The guys in the Microsoft forums might be able to tell you.

    http://forums.microsoft.com/windowsmobile/
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by VibrantRedGT View Post
    Yes, I have a Microsoft Exchange account. Like I mentioned since I cannot sync I am manually making changes on my device then syncing with Exchange. I would love to use my Laptop. It does establish a connection and I can view items on my device. However if I make changes to a contact or add an appointment it will not sync to my device. Funny part is this has only happened with the 800. Never had an issue syncing with other Windows devices. Maybe 6.1 may be the culprit after all. Funny thing is my wife has 6.1 on her Q9C and it syncs fine.
    It's possible but you've had some *VERY* strange issues on your device that sounds suspiciously like database corruption.

    Until those are cleared up it's really hard to say what's the actual problem with your synching.

    Are you ever going to follow up on those posts you made and respond to the questions/suggestions?
  12. #12  
    Well I started from scratch by doing a hard reset on the device and deleting the Sync center off my laptop. It does recognize my device finally, before it showed no connection. I can browse the contents of the device. I can even add programs, music, pictures, videos, etc. The only thing it can't do is sync with Outlook. What suggestions do you have for Outlook?
    ATT History- From 1997-2001-> Nokia 6362->Motorola StarTac->Nokia 8260.

    Nextel History From 2001-2004-> Motorola i1000-> Motorola i90c-> Motorola i95cl-> Motorola i730->Motorola i850.

    Sprint History From 2005 - Currently->Sanyo 5500-> Sanyo 5600-> Sanyo-> 7400->Sanyo 8300->Sanyo->7500-> Sanyo 9000->Sanyo 8400->Sanyo M1->PPC-6700->Treo 700wx->PPC-6800(Mogul)-> Motorola Q9C-> Treo 800w-> Curve->Treo 800w->Touch Pro->Treo Pro> Curve "M"->HTC Hero.
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by VibrantRedGT View Post
    The only thing it can't do is sync with Outlook. What suggestions do you have for Outlook?
    I would start with a clean (hard reset, yes it's a pain) device and a clean outlook profile.

    Not sure if you're running your own outlook server or what, but it shouldn't be hard to setup a test profile. Or you can use one of the free options out there as a test.

    Like I said, it really sounds like you have corrupted contacts. Whether that's corrupted on just the device, or the problem lies with the exchange server, I don't know, but that's where I'd start.

    If you setup a completely clean Outlook account and device, and have no problems (which is what I'm guessing you'll see), then you'll have a much better idea of where the problem lies.


    Oh, and while I'm not running Vista I tested having exchange setup and synching to my XP PC. No problems here.
  14. #14  
    I can sync with XP. I did the hard reset when we taked last week about this. That was also the day I deleted the sync stuff off my laptop. I don't know how to set up a new outlook profile. Can you explain that?
    ATT History- From 1997-2001-> Nokia 6362->Motorola StarTac->Nokia 8260.

    Nextel History From 2001-2004-> Motorola i1000-> Motorola i90c-> Motorola i95cl-> Motorola i730->Motorola i850.

    Sprint History From 2005 - Currently->Sanyo 5500-> Sanyo 5600-> Sanyo-> 7400->Sanyo 8300->Sanyo->7500-> Sanyo 9000->Sanyo 8400->Sanyo M1->PPC-6700->Treo 700wx->PPC-6800(Mogul)-> Motorola Q9C-> Treo 800w-> Curve->Treo 800w->Touch Pro->Treo Pro> Curve "M"->HTC Hero.
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by VibrantRedGT View Post
    I don't know how to set up a new outlook profile. Can you explain that?
    That's on the server side.

    If you have no access to your exchange server, hard reset your device and setup one of the free ones as a test. That'll give you a completely clean install.
  16. #16  
    I just moved up from a touch and can report that this is the designed behavior for at least Exchange '07. I spoke with several techs at rackspace (our Exchange host) and they confirmed this. A "work around" is to set the sync for every X minutes. I have never figured out if this is better or worse for battery life but it does fix the contact sync issue.
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter_In_MN View Post
    A "work around" is to set the sync for every X minutes. I have never figured out if this is better or worse for battery life but it does fix the contact sync issue.
    Well, common sense says that the more often you sync the worse the battery hit will be.


    I would leave it be. Like I said, how often do you need edited contacts updated right away?
  18. sansnil's Avatar
    Posts
    219 Posts
    Global Posts
    221 Global Posts
    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebag333 View Post
    Well, common sense says that the more often you sync the worse the battery hit will be.


    I would leave it be. Like I said, how often do you need edited contacts updated right away?
    Contacts perhaps not as often, but updated calendar appt times or task time reminder I'd like to update right away. And actually since to me the whole point of wireless synching is having this up to date right away my preference is rather than making an inflexible design change Microsoft should have offered it as an optionally configuration setting. Give me the choice, don't make it for me.
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter_In_MN View Post
    I just moved up from a touch and can report that this is the designed behavior for at least Exchange '07. I spoke with several techs at rackspace (our Exchange host) and they confirmed this. A "work around" is to set the sync for every X minutes. I have never figured out if this is better or worse for battery life but it does fix the contact sync issue.
    I think a better work around would be to just manually initiate a sync the few occasions we update a contact or an appointment.
    We came to rely on a feature and they took it away (MS that is)
    Eventually, I could see myself getting in the habit of just doing a manual sync everytime I update a contact or appointment.

Posting Permissions