Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    341 Global Posts
    other that telenav default on the 800w is there better, free, etc stuff out there? i have the google maps as well

mt
    People use Google Maps and Live Search. I find Sprint Nav (Telenav) outstanding. Hell you can call in the address instead of typing it.
    ATT History- From 1997-2001-> Nokia 6362->Motorola StarTac->Nokia 8260.

Nextel History From 2001-2004-> Motorola i1000-> Motorola i90c-> Motorola i95cl-> Motorola i730->Motorola i850.

Sprint History From 2005 - Currently->Sanyo 5500-> Sanyo 5600-> Sanyo-> 7400->Sanyo 8300->Sanyo->7500-> Sanyo 9000->Sanyo 8400->Sanyo M1->PPC-6700->Treo 700wx->PPC-6800(Mogul)-> Motorola Q9C-> Treo 800w-> Curve->Treo 800w->Touch Pro->Treo Pro> Curve "M"->HTC Hero.
    Global Posts
    341 Global Posts
    yea 9.95 a month is not bad and i like it, i had it on my 755 cancelled it only to find out it still worked lol crazy.
    I have Sprint Nav as part of my talk/text/data plan - it's terrific!
    Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy

Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G
    I've used a number of the third party aps: TomTom, Garmin, Navigon, etc., on the 800w. I find TomTom to be the most responsive generally and specifically to GPS position updates, the drawback on that being that as far as I can tell you need gpsgate.

ON my plan I would be paying $10 a month for each line using GPS so a third party app is cheaper.
    Given the Treo 800w can't do stand alone GPS, I see no point in using anything other than Sprint Navigation/Telenav. First of all, it's the best and 2nd of all nothing else is sure to work when outside of Sprint's service area.

I'm just glad I learned about the issues BEFORE buying maps for another service.
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post
    Given the Treo 800w can't do stand alone GPS, I see no point in using anything other than Sprint Navigation/Telenav. First of all, it's the best and 2nd of all nothing else is sure to work when outside of Sprint's service area.

I'm just glad I learned about the issues BEFORE buying maps for another service.
    Now considering the title of the thread is "what is everyone using for gps realtime map", why would you go and bring that up? It's not like you can use realtime maps off network anyway.

(Well, there are ways, but then it's not really realtime is it?)

Back on topic:

Google Maps works well for my needs. I even prefer it over TomTom most of the time, I just keep TomTom around for when I'm off network (and cannot use Google Maps). Wish Google Maps allowed caching, I'd use it off network too.
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post

Standalone is not working properly but this is different than the GPS -- when in CDMA range -- being accessible by third party programs, which is something that works.

It depends on your plan. Lots of people have family plans with existing free or heavily discounted EVDO, unlmited sms and pic mail etc, but not telenav. Telenav would cost me $30 a month plus tax for my three 800ws. It all depends on your plan
    Oh boy, here we go again. More standalone GPS is exactly what this thread needs.
    I use Google Maps and Live Search. I was going through the new Live Search and found in the settings you can store something like 64MB of cache on your storage card! I couldn't believe that. I just got TomTom7 and am going to try that tonight. Oh, and I also use GPSToday. I love that because it gives a real address that I can use and not just some gps speak mumbo jumbo.
    What's Standalone?
    Just call me Berd.
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    What's Standalone?
    Based on your number of posts I'm going to assume you were being sarcastic.

Unfortunately I can't make any snide comments about people from Oregon, as I'd have to include myself.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebag333 View Post
    Based on your number of posts I'm going to assume you were being sarcastic.

Unfortunately I can't make any snide comments about people from Oregon, as I'd have to include myself.
    Found Out
    Just call me Berd.
    i use Tom Tom, I am on a 30 day trial with Telenav but I like Tom Tom better. Instructions are timed better. TeleNav cool though. Con: Driving long distance, if you lose data connection you lose the rest of your trip.
    Quote Originally Posted by cglaguna View Post
    Con: Driving long distance, if you lose data connection you lose the rest of your trip.
    Well Cglaguna, keep in mind you're in the Treo 800w forum . Many Treo 800w owners lose their GPS when they lose their data connection. Some don't, but many others do.

We can't even start a trip with our GPS without a compatible cell signal.
    Yea cglaguna,

Remember, you're in the 800 forum.
    Go back where you belong!
    Just call me Berd.
    I'm using Garmin XT. I like it because I have been using Garmin GPS's forever and I have desktop software that can talk to it. This allows me to plan my routes on the PC then download them to my Treo.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    RC46,
    I am not in love with TomTom and prefer Garmin generally as well. I am curious though, I found garmin on the 800w to be lagging compared to iGo, TT and others. Maybe it was some setting I had wrong? are you happy with the processing performance of Garmin on the 800w?
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    Yea cglaguna,

Remember, you're in the 800 forum.
    Go back where you belong!
    Actually, I like to hear stories of how a real stand alone and assisted GPS device works .
    Global Posts
    109 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dannzeman View Post
    I use Google Maps and Live Search. I was going through the new Live Search and found in the settings you can store something like 64MB of cache on your storage card! I couldn't believe that. I just got TomTom7 and am going to try that tonight. Oh, and I also use GPSToday. I love that because it gives a real address that I can use and not just some gps speak mumbo jumbo.
    Actually, you have the option to use 32Mb, 64Mb or 128Mb.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast