Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    221 Global Posts
    I may be crazy here but I think I remember with my Treo 750 when I modified an existing task/contact/calendar item's details on my device it would immediately generate a sync request back to my Exchange server. But with my new Treo Pro that only happens if I create a new item or delete an existing item totally. If I simply change a task reminder time or contact's phone number on the device, for instance, no sync occurs automatically. Of course on the Exchange side, if I modify an item detail it immediately pushes out to my Treo Pro.

Can someone do me a favor and confirm/deny if when they change an item detail (exluding email) on their device it pushes immediately out to the Exchange server? I'd like to make sure this is an error with my phone and not just functionality I thought existed which doesn't.

Thanks
    Last edited by sansnil; 10/22/2008 at 12:36 PM.
    you're right.
    On my 750 it would trigger a sync right after making any change.
    Even my 8525 - (ie: add an email address to an existing contact)
    It doesn't do that on my Pro.
    That's not good.
    If we could get one more person to confirm, I think we could call this an official bug.

This is very important to me because I don't sync to my PC.
    Adding or Deleting PIM triggers a sync, but not editing.
    I just did two tests;
    added an email to an existing contact, and changed an appointment time. And niether triggered a sync.

I will swap my sim to my 750 just to verify.
    Global Posts
    221 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    you're right.
    On my 750 it would trigger a sync right after making any change.
    Even my 8525 - (ie: add an email address to an existing contact)
    It doesn't do that on my Pro.
    That's not good.
    If we could get one more person to confirm, I think we could call this an official bug.

This is very important to me because I don't sync to my PC.
    Thanks very much for confirming, berdinkerdickle.

This one's a really bad one for me too, quite probably a deal-breaker if confirmed. I'm not sure I fully understand how Palm would break that part of WM unless they're caching the changes instead of writing to a file but I really don't know.

Can anyone else confirm/deny?
    Not sure I follow you. Before I read this post I edited a Vet appointment on my TP. After reading this post I checked my computer and the appointment had been changed. This was about an hour later so I don't know when the sync happend but it did take the edited appt from my TP.
    Global Posts
    221 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by azlarry View Post
    Not sure I follow you. Before I read this post I edited a Vet appointment on my TP. After reading this post I checked my computer and the appointment had been changed. This was about an hour later so I don't know when the sync happend but it did take the edited appt from my TP.
    Interesting. Do you mind editing an existing appt slightly on your TP and watching to see if a push sync update is initiated? I know I didn't see the issue occuring on mine for a while because when I received an incoming email it would of course generate a synch that would then pick up the appt or task I had modified on the device. Changing an appt/task/contact on a device should initiate an update on it's own.
    Do you have the Data Arrows up by your reception bars?
    When you make an appointment, or add a contact, right after you click 'Ok' the Arrows begin to rotate, (confirming a OTA Sync).
    This should also happen when editing an existing appointment or contact.
    Any time PIM is changed, an OTA (Over The Air) sync should occur - Instantaneous.

Those arrows in the Title Bar are a graphic representation of ActiveSync.
    Just call me Berd.
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    So you guys are saying that the synch isn't happening automatically, but is occuring at a later point? That does suck but I am glad that at least the synch is occuring.
    <edit>
    (Found out that the sync issue also being present with my 750 was only because I had 6.1 on my 750.
    Later in this thread we discovered the sync issue applies to 6.1)

Sorry to say, it's the same on my 750.
    I could have sworn that it would trigger a sync immediately after editing a contact, appointment, or otherwise.

So I don't think we can confirm this is an issue unique to the Pro, if it's always been that way, and we just haven't been aware.

very strange
    Last edited by berdinkerdickle; 11/30/2008 at 06:45 PM.
    Just call me Berd.
    Global Posts
    221 Global Posts
    Sorry to say, it's the same on my 750.
    I could have sworn that it would trigger a sync immediately after editing a contact, appointment, or otherwise.

So I don't think we can confirm this is an issue unique to the Pro, if it's always been that way, and we just haven't been aware.

very strange
    Wow I could've sworn it sync'ed right away too based of seeing it on my 750 too. I must be remembering when I created a whole new one or deleted one.

Well I guess I'm actually happy it's not a unique bug after all.
    I still would like someone else with a 750 or 8525 to confirm this.

I was so sure it was even with an edit.
    I just did a couple more tests with my 750;
    Changed the time of an existing appointment, clicked ok, and the arrows did not spin.
    Went back and changed the date of an existing appointment, clicked ok, and the arrows did not spin.
    Added an email address to an existing Contact, clicked ok, and the arrows did not spin.
    It only happens when I get an email or when I send one out, or when I add, delete, a appointment or contact.

Add or delete an Appointment, and the arrows spin right after I click 'Ok'
    Add or delete a contact, and the arrows spin right after I click 'Ok'

No big deal for me either.
    Just call me Berd.
    I deleted a contact and it sync'ed right away. But earlier when I edited my appnt I'm not sure if it did it then or after an email. I doesn't matter to me since I get enough email that it's no issue. I guess a work around is manually syncing with Exchange but I really don't see why you would bother. Bottom line is the edit will be effected anyway.
    Global Posts
    221 Global Posts
    I deleted a contact and it sync'ed right away. But earlier when I edited my appnt I'm not sure if it did it then or after an email. I doesn't matter to me since I get enough email that it's no issue. I guess a work around is manually syncing with Exchange but I really don't see why you would bother. Bottom line is the edit will be effected anyway.
    Yea, I think it's more the principle of it working one way server -> device and differently the other way device -> server that seems odd to me and against the spirit of 'always-up-to-date'. I could see some problems potentially if you don't receive a lot of emails to trigger a sync around a changed appointment time but I'm certain pretty low impact for most users. But if it's a limitation or designed that way in WinMo I can't blame Palm at all that's for sure. Perhaps a registry hack some day..
    Last edited by sansnil; 10/22/2008 at 03:55 PM.
    Some may think I'm nitpicking.
    I'm not, it really isn't a big deal.

But having an over analytical mind makes me over very trivial things.

I did another test;

Changed the day of an appointment on my Pro - The Outlook Calendar on my PC didn't update until I got an email.

Changed the day of an appointment on my PC - My Pro updated within seconds.

Work Around? Yea, subscribe to all forums here at TC
    Just call me Berd.
    I have a 750 and I'm thinking about the Pro...

My 750 syncs immediately upon a change to an appointment, a task or a contact.

I would hope the Pro works the same, but it doesn't sound like it. Maybe this is a battery saving "feature" but I hope not.

It may be a deal breaker for me too
    Global Posts
    221 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by scollins View Post
    I have a 750 and I'm thinking about the Pro...

My 750 syncs immediately upon a change to an appointment, a task or a contact.

I would hope the Pro works the same, but it doesn't sound like it. Maybe this is a battery saving "feature" but I hope not.

It may be a deal breaker for me too
    Uh oh...

Scollins don't take it the wrong way but are you certain? When you have an existing appt/task/contact already sync'ed on your device, and you simply modify it on your device you're seeing it push an update to your Exchange server wirelessly right away?
    That is exactly correct. I'm sitting here with it now and it works exactly like that. I was sure that I did, but I tested it just to be certain...
    I switched to my 750 and it acts exactly the same.
    Maybe something has changed recently with our exchange service.

Maybe we weren't imagining that we had the insta-sync with every edit we made, maybe it's something temporarily with our exchange service provider.
    I'm using 4smartphone.net

<edit> I will switch back to my 750 again for some more tests
    Last edited by berdinkerdickle; 10/22/2008 at 05:41 PM. Reason: I will switch back to my 750 again for more tests :(
    Just call me Berd.
    I betcha mine is a 4smartphone issue.
    I can edit an appointment on my 750 and nothing syncs.
    I'm setting here staring at my PC and nothing updates.
    I can edit it on my PC and in seconds the arrows start spinning on my 750.

I am absolutely positive that previously, whenever I edited a contact on my 750 (add an email or number) it would trigger a sync.

So hopefully, for me, it's just a 4smartphone issue.
    As of today, my pro and 750 act exactly the same.
    Just call me Berd.
    Global Posts
    221 Global Posts
    I betcha mine is a 4smartphone issue.
    I can edit an appointment on my 750 and nothing syncs.
    I'm setting here staring at my PC and nothing updates.
    I can edit it on my PC and in seconds the arrows start spinning on my 750.

I am absolutely positive that previously, whenever I edited a contact on my 750 (add an email or number) it would trigger a sync.

So hopefully, for me, it's just a 4smartphone issue.
    As of today, my pro and 750 act exactly the same.
    Well I use my own in-house Exchange server so we can't use that as a control point. I'll have to fire up the old 750 tonight get home and see how that behaves. I'm pretty perplexed at this point. What scollins sees and what you and I recall seems right though.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast