Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 25
  1.    #1  
    I have a 750, and can barely stand IE mobile. I purchased Opera, but I cant stand the memory hit anymore, so I uninstalled.

    I am strongly considering purchasing an iPhone next week....

    Is the IE experience any better in 320x320?

    With the extra memory on the Pro, Opera will work again. BUT, its still not as sweet as Safari on the iPhone.

    I may need to carry two devices.

    Any opinions appreciated!
  2. #2  
    I have a iPhone 3g and a Pro... bottom line is the browsing on the iPhone is untouchable by any other device in my opinion. Skyfire on the Pro is probably your best bet as far as browsing on it. The latest Opera beta is super buggy, and is one to avoid. I love both devices. Each of them have their strong points along with weak points but the iPhone wins hands down as far as browsing the internet.
  3.    #3  
    Thanks.

    So many good devices coming out....

    My 750 just WORKS for me, but I really like mobile web browsing and I think you answered my question. I just need to make the iPhone work for my business needs. And I need to get good typing on its virtual keyboard with my big thumbs.

    Badash,

    I have big electrician hands: How does the "Centro-y" keyboard on the Pro compare to the best-of-the-best 750 keyboard and the iPhone virtual keyboard with all day use? Do you ever purposely cut emails and sms's short because of either keyboard (Pro and iPhone)?

    Thanks!
  4. #4  
    Honestly I do not have any issues typing on either keyboard. I'm used to the iPhones keyboard more so than the Pro but I'm getting better with it. And I am a hard core texter/emailer. People will complain about one or the other but for me... perfect combo.
    Last edited by Bad Ash; 10/21/2008 at 08:47 PM.
  5.    #5  
    maybe this is getting into an area that belongs elsewhere, sorry....

    Bad Ash,

    How do you like your iPhone VS. Pro for PIM and business functionality? Or are these things not important for you.

    I was a POS guy forever, and dreaded moving to WM with the 700wx. After I used it, I never looked back. And the 750 was even better, and the Pro looks even better than that.

    Now I fear losing the power of WM while gaining the iPhone media stuff.

    can you handle your professional life just as easy with an iPhone as with WM?

    Thanks!
  6. #6  
    Speaking of browsing on the Pro, does the built-in browser handle wide pages better than Blazer did on the 680? Blazer was really quite limited in this respect -- I always hated how you'd have to scroll over to read text on a wide page. Some sort of a zoom/shrink capability would be nice. Are there any options for zooming in, changing font size, etc. on the Pro's built-in web browser?
  7. #7  
    It all really depends on you honestly. If you are strictly business then the Pro is your choice you should make and that's not to say the Pro can't offer multimedia but it requires some tweaking or adding of apps. If you are more for multimedia then your choice should be simple. Again though, that's not to say the iPhone can't handle business tasks. I could say yes to your question, which would be the case but then someone will chime in here and say the iPhone "sucks" and is a "toy" - and I will argue against that completely. Most people who say the negative things probably have never even touched a iPhone, they just like to hate. And I am not saying it is perfect, no device is. I use the same exchange account on both phones and all is great. Can't go wrong with either choice.
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by hockey View Post
    Speaking of browsing on the Pro, does the built-in browser handle wide pages better than Blazer did on the 680? Blazer was really quite limited in this respect -- I always hated how you'd have to scroll over to read text on a wide page. Some sort of a zoom/shrink capability would be nice. Are there any options for zooming in, changing font size, etc. on the Pro's built-in web browser?
    You need a 3rd party browser such as Opera or Skyfire. There are other threads that discuss both in detail.

    Check Dieter's setup here:

    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=172013
  9. #9  
    IMHO - Check this out http://www.visorcentral.com/content/...eet-72-27-.htm.

    I think I got the Handspring visorphone, the first Palm OS PDA Smart phone that plugged into the top of a Visor PDA. It was perfect, I could meld my phone, my text pager my browsing device all into one portable unit. I was in heaven... These were the days that sms was in infancy... I had a phone number directly into Cingular's server room to tell them that the sms server had crashed. Even the Treo 180 we were in awe of ...

    We have come a long way but. I now am carrying two devices again
    a Treo Pro and iPhone. I love the ipHone interface it is very cool and the apps are great with most of them free or $1. As Ash said the interface is unbeatable as well as browsing. But I need a phone and for many it is a terrible phone. i don't have a sim card in it, I just use wi fi.

    Unfortunately the iphone has many shortcomings as a phone, as a text pager and a PDA.
    So many that I demanded ATT break my contract. I am now carrying a Treo Pro which I am very happy. But I love browsing on the iphone and playing with apps on it and using it as an ipod so I am carrying that as well.

    If you depend on instant push email, if you want to play with camera, mms, or video, if you want a descent calendar the Treo Pro beats iphone hands down.

    If you buy an iphone take advantage of your 30 days and really try it out because it was a terrible phone for me. (replaced mine 3x AND GAVE UP)
  10. #10  
    I love my iphone best phone I have owned. Work makes me carry a blackberry but if it was my choice it would be iPhone and that's it.
    I have owned many Treos, still haves 750 and a 680, and I loved those phones
    too. I guess just try it out see if it suits your needs. Like everyone says no phone is going to be perfect. To each his own.
  11. #11  
    I love surfing the net on my pro. I think its a lot better then any phone I have owned. Q9 and Treo 700 prior. Using IE in full screen mode give enough real estate to make it usable and the 6.1 browser is decent in speed.

    Frankly I think the web browsing is one of the best features of the Treo Pro. The keyboard certainly isn't.
  12.    #12  
    [QUOTEi don't have a sim card in it, I just use wi fi.[/QUOTE]

    Not being cocky, because this is actually something I have thought of. Should you have (and should I ) just get an iPod touch? Why have an iphone if you don't use the 3g and the GPS? Will the GPS work without a SIM?

    I WANT to get both a Pro and an iPhone 3g. But my wife will geek if I do that, and won't be happy if I get just one new device. I just switched to AT+T in May and got the 750.

    I go to the AT+T and Apple store at lunch and play with the iPhone all the time and love it.

    Then I go back to work and get 30 emails and 40 texts, and then I have to update 15 PIM things into Agenda One, and enter X# of notes into MS One Note Mobile, etc.

    Then I get home and want to surf the web on my patio all evening (w/o dragging out the laptop).

    H*LL, I don't know what to do, and I don't want to give AT+T $400 to find out....
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by cglaguna View Post
    IMHO - Check this out http://www.visorcentral.com/content/...eet-72-27-.htm.

    I think I got the Handspring visorphone, the first Palm OS PDA Smart phone that plugged into the top of a Visor PDA. It was perfect, I could meld my phone, my text pager my browsing device all into one portable unit. I was in heaven... These were the days that sms was in infancy... I had a phone number directly into Cingular's server room to tell them that the sms server had crashed. Even the Treo 180 we were in awe of ...

    We have come a long way but. I now am carrying two devices again
    a Treo Pro and iPhone. I love the ipHone interface it is very cool and the apps are great with most of them free or $1. As Ash said the interface is unbeatable as well as browsing. But I need a phone and for many it is a terrible phone. i don't have a sim card in it, I just use wi fi.

    Unfortunately the iphone has many shortcomings as a phone, as a text pager and a PDA.
    So many that I demanded ATT break my contract. I am now carrying a Treo Pro which I am very happy. But I love browsing on the iphone and playing with apps on it and using it as an ipod so I am carrying that as well.

    If you depend on instant push email, if you want to play with camera, mms, or video, if you want a descent calendar the Treo Pro beats iphone hands down.

    If you buy an iphone take advantage of your 30 days and really try it out because it was a terrible phone for me. (replaced mine 3x AND GAVE UP)
    I've just been through the same dilemma in Australia. I've ended up with an iPod touch 32gb and a Treopro. I don't carry the touch around during the week when I'm supposed to be working, and I get an extra 16GB over the iPhone (probably not for long). I use the remote for iTunes around our house etc, but as i've said before the phone part of an iphone seems a little crippled in what is otherwise a rather wow device.
    HP200LX->Treo270->Treo600->Treo650->Treo680->Centro->iPhone3G->
    Treo680->TreoPro->iPhone3GS->PalmPre->HPPre2->HPVeer 2.2.3->HPPre3

  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwisholland View Post
    [QUOTEi don't have a sim card in it, I just use wi fi.

    Not being cocky, because this is actually something I have thought of. Should you have (and should I ) just get an iPod touch? Why have an iphone if you don't use the 3g and the GPS? Will the GPS work without a SIM?

    I WANT to get both a Pro and an iPhone 3g. But my wife will geek if I do that, and won't be happy if I get just one new device. I just switched to AT+T in May and got the 750.

    I go to the AT+T and Apple store at lunch and play with the iPhone all the time and love it.

    Then I go back to work and get 30 emails and 40 texts, and then I have to update 15 PIM things into Agenda One, and enter X# of notes into MS One Note Mobile, etc.

    Then I get home and want to surf the web on my patio all evening (w/o dragging out the laptop).

    H*LL, I don't know what to do, and I don't want to give AT+T $400 to find out....
    The Treo Pro has killer GPS, Iphones is nonfunctional other than to tell you where you are, you can't navigate using it. I am thinking of sending my Iphone back to Apple (they agreeed to take it back) and asking for a 32GB for my trouble. They are very sensitive to how many people are unhappy with the 3G. Other wise I have the Iphone 3G (16GB) for $299 why would I want a 16GB Touch for $299? I may want to sell it later.

    ATT broke my iphone contract and gave me $200 towards Treo Pro and a month of service for free for my trouble for signing another 2 year.
  15.    #15  
    Do any of you ex-Treo users now use the iPhone as your primary business device (i know some have answered)?

    If so, what did you come from, and was it a WM Treo?

    I had a BB and hated the interface, and I loved my POS devices. But the TREO WM deal is it for me, until I want to browse the web or watch videos.

    Thanks!
  16.    #16  
    ATT broke my iphone contract and gave me $200 towards Treo Pro and a month of service for free for my trouble for signing another 2 year.
    They gave you $200 towards a Pro (that they don't offer as of 10/21/08)? Or any Phone?

    Could you live with an iPhone only? Or do you need the Pro?

    thanks!
  17. #17  
    A phone has become a very personal thing and your needs might not be my needs.
    If I had to choose one it would be Treo Pro hands down.
    IPhone:
    Cons
    1. I have text messaged for years, I use it personally, I use it professionally. I depend on it for conversations. Right now, there is one small vibrate for text messaging and no indication on the phone that you have received one without unlocking the phone and turning it on. text messaging on iphone does not allow you to email addresses, I have never seen this omitted on a phone ever. No @ sign no email.

    2. No MMS/No Video, my friends and I send pics to each other everyday from 5 different states. You cannot receive MMS in any reasonable shape or form. You get a message that an MMS is waiting for you, they give you a log in name and a stupid password, all you have to memorize because there is no way to copy and past the information into the fields. The link they send does not hook you into the picture, only to a page asking for that user name and password that changes everytime someone sends you a picture.

    You can send pictures via email that is it, and that is very weak.
    No movies whatsoever, no current legal app for it. I was in Oklahoma last week with my TP I was laying in a hammack and sent my friends a video of my feet saying back in forth with a beautiful serene back drop. I did not have to send any text.

    Apple's computers have ways to send pictures, videos and everything multi media and the Iphone doesn't support any of it, I just don't get it.

    3. Me.com email is a joke, unreliable. mail interface very clunky and convaluded, in MY opinion. All silent email notifications are non-noticiable and non customizable, really a pain.

    4. Notifications are weak, I missed them almost everytime

    5. I depend on my gmail calendar, which I paid for a third party app to get on my iphone and my Treo Pro. I like Palm OS best for calendar and WM second best. Calendar is not for business on the iPhone.

    6. Battery life is horrible and you can't take the battery out. This was a Palm mistake years ago, they never did it again. Battery life on TP gets me through one day, if I need to, I change the battery.

    IPhone Pros,
    1. you can just touch it, I love it,
    2. Web is so easy to move around and beautiful.
    3. Screen is outstanding, fingerprint magnet but so is the Treo Pro.
    4. Apps are too cool for school, I can easy buy sheet on Ebay, I can level my pictures in my home, I can have my fortune read, and play the baddest video poker you have ever seen on a computer, let alone a phone. Apps are cheap

    Treo Pro:
    1. Email - Excellent
    2. Calendar - Very Good
    3. Contacts - very detailed
    4. I can put any music on the phone I want, even music I don't own - Rhapsody to Go where I pick the songs and put them on Treo, paying a low monthly fee.
    5. Outstanding GPS - The GPS kicks ****, fast and easy to follow. Understand I bought a New Beamer in Munich a few years back and used Tom Tom to navigate the entire trip from Germany, Switzerland, France, Monaco, Nice, Spain. I had the car for a month over there and without maps, without stress, easy naviagation. I bought a sim card at a Tabac store and could use my phone. Can't do anything close with a legal Iphone.
    GPS on iphone non functional (at least presently).

    Don't get me wrong iPhone could be fantastic for some, but not for me.

    *BTW, YMMV on this one but I had over 120 dropped calls my first month with iPhone. Apple and ATT had me return the Iphone 3 times to replace it. I had zero service at work, and barely any at home. I live in Orange County CA, we should have service. ATT told me to try another phone.. got Black Jack 2, better service, but when I got the Treo Pro it was fantastic service (coverage) only 1 dropped call in 2 weeks.
    * Other people are reporting no problems so YMMV.

    I NEED the Treo Pro, I could do without but love the Iphone without the cell service.
  18. #18  
    cglaguna and I have had our differences, and that is in the past, but I have to argue the point about gps. GPS on the iPhone, at least in my case is equal to the Treo Pro. And that's a good equal. Again, that is just for my case. Also unlike him I have not had any issues with my iPhone working. Knock on wood.

    Also, MobileMe is not part of the iPhone technically. I use exchange to sync both Treo and iPhone. Love it.
  19. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad Ash View Post
    cglaguna and I have had our differences, and that is in the past, but I have to argue the point about gps. GPS on the iPhone, at least in my case is equal to the Treo Pro. And that's a good equal. Again, that is just for my case. Also unlike him I have not had any issues with my iPhone working. Knock on wood.

    Also, MobileMe is not part of the iPhone technically. I use exchange to sync both Treo and iPhone. Love it.
    Yeah lets put the past behind us, I agree. Anyway you can have turn by turn navigation on the 3G?, how, all I got from Navigation is a google map that either showed me where I was at or gave me directions which I had to click forward through. TP has voice turn by turn naviagation and a map in which the direction you are traveling is the top of the map, not north which is what I ever saw in the 3G.
  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by cglaguna View Post
    Yeah lets put the past behind us, I agree. Anyway you can have turn by turn navigation on the 3G?, how, all I got from Navigation is a google map that either showed me where I was at or gave me directions which I had to click forward through. TP has voice turn by turn naviagation and a map in which the direction you are traveling is the top of the map, not north which is what I ever saw in the 3G.
    I was just referring to the actual GPS usage. Turn by turn is coming to the iPhone. When is the question though. And yes the Pro has telenav but you have to pay a fee to use it. Other than that out of the box the GPS functionality are more or less the same.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions