Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    Hey everyone, I'm a new member to the forum and currently have a 800w.

So I finally got skype to work on my 800w and realized that unlimited us phone calls is around 3 bucks a month or one could spend 30 dollars for the whole year.

i already bought an airave, 100 dollars for the airave and 5 dollars a month (+fees? i forgot if there are fees, i just automatically let it charge to my credit card).

so my question is, does anyone actually use the skype mobile with their cell phone as a permanent solution when wifi is available?

in addition to that, does it seem like a better idea just to go with skype (30 dollars a year) than the airave (100 + 60 dollars a year) since they essentially do the same thing and skype could probably be used at more locations than just at home?

just wonder what everyone's opinion is on this idea
    Not sure how airave works for you, but Skype is pretty shoddy on WM for me. The sound comes out of the speaker, not earpiece and the quality is just not there.
    I love Skype on my computer, in fact I use Skype as my primary phone when I'm working. The mobile version, however, is nice "in a pinch" but really not great. Besides the issues yakky mentioned, Skype is a total battery killer on the Treo.
    I agee with everyone...
    Skype on PC, EXCELLENT
    Skype Mobile, ehhh
    You can use a bluetooth headset to get around the speakerphone...but I agree, the mobile version of skype needs improvement...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    If you paid $100 of the airave and are paying the $5 per month you didn't negotiate a discount (and both items can be discoutned) and in fact you need to pay $10 per month more for unlimited. your real equivalent airave costs are more like $19 a month.

(amortize unit cost over two years: $100 + ($5x24moths) +$10x24 months) or 460/24 months = $19.17/month

The advise from the respondents above on quality is excellent. To make a rational comparison on costs, given the fact that it is hard to get the $100 and $5/month costs retroactively removed, you are looking at almost than double what your first calculation shows.

It seems like bad news all around, worse quality and ease of use with Skype then you might hope fore and more expense for airave then you thought, but teh fact that you have these options is good news.
    Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    both items can be discounted???

nuts...

Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    If you paid $100 of the airave and are paying the $5 per month you didn't negotiate a discount (and both items can be discoutned) and in fact you need to pay $10 per month more for unlimited. your real equivalent airave costs are more like $19 a month.

(amortize unit cost over two years: $100 + ($5x24moths) +$10x24 months) or 460/24 months = $19.17/month

The advise from the respondents above on quality is excellent. To make a rational comparison on costs, given the fact that it is hard to get the $100 and $5/month costs retroactively removed, you are looking at almost than double what your first calculation shows.

It seems like bad news all around, worse quality and ease of use with Skype then you might hope fore and more expense for airave then you thought, but teh fact that you have these options is good news.
    Quote Originally Posted by wooochang View Post
    both items can be discounted???
    nuts...
    Yes, it was pretty easy from me to get $118 credited ($100 plus shipping and tax) and a recurring credit for the $5 monthly. I simply told them I was unhappy with my signal. But hat was ac ouple fo months ago, they may have toughened up. I do think getting $50 credit on the unit is still pretty easy.

I tend to get a lot of discounts from sprint because i have been a long time customer and have a five line account

If you are on a sero with any other freebies,have been late with a payment they probably won't budge on a full discount.