Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hi, does anyone know if Palm will be puting out an update to fix the so many stability issues and problems that have risen on this board? I have gone to the Palm forum, but their tech support over there is poor on their replys.

Thanks
    99.99% of stability issues reported on this board are caused by hacks and 3rd party software. It would be hard for Palm to do anything about that. These phones are rock solid stable out of the box.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    Quote Originally Posted by rc46 View Post
    99.99% of stability issues reported on this board are caused by hacks and 3rd party software. It would be hard for Palm to do anything about that. These phones are rock solid stable out of the box.
    Hardly rock solid out of the box and yes in desperate need of an update of some sort.

Sorry - not this time. Plenty of issues out of the box.
    I think the 800w is amazingly stable for a first release ROM. I have had zero crashes. Battery life out the door and sound quality are pretty bad though. There will be updates, give them time. There are workarounds for most issues.
    Quote Originally Posted by socomon View Post
    Sorry - not this time. Plenty of issues out of the box.
    OK, I must have missed them.

Please name some stability issues that *most* if not all users are reporting?
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    Global Posts
    347 Global Posts
    Two issues have been fixed (VC over BT & USB fix). Anyone know if these patches are now stock on new devices?

those two aside, there is only one (BT audio volume) that I have experienced "out of the box". Maybe I just got a good device but I have had ZERO issues with my device's stability. Even with SEVERAL 3rd party apps it is still rock solid. It has never frozen up on me and the only hard re-sets I've done were at my choice to clean up a bunch of trial software. This is easily the most stable device I've owned.
    Devices used: Palm VIIx - Tungsten T - Tungsten T3 - HP ipaq 4155 - Tungsten T5 - BB 7520 - Treo 650 - Treo 700wx - Treo 755p - Q9c - BB 8130 - Treo 800w - HTC Touch Pro - BB 8330 - BB 8520 - HTC HD2 - Palm Pre
    OK, I must have missed them.

Please name some stability issues that *most* if not all users are reporting?
    I occasionally got shell32 and device.exe crashes when I was just making calls and checking voicemail after a full hard reset. So no, the rom isn't perfect by far.
    I joined the cellphone thing late: razr v3m->treo 800w
    Got my first missed text and phone call today. I only have Memmaid on my device right now.
    ATT History- From 1997-2001-> Nokia 6362->Motorola StarTac->Nokia 8260.

Nextel History From 2001-2004-> Motorola i1000-> Motorola i90c-> Motorola i95cl-> Motorola i730->Motorola i850.

Sprint History From 2005 - Currently->Sanyo 5500-> Sanyo 5600-> Sanyo-> 7400->Sanyo 8300->Sanyo->7500-> Sanyo 9000->Sanyo 8400->Sanyo M1->PPC-6700->Treo 700wx->PPC-6800(Mogul)-> Motorola Q9C-> Treo 800w-> Curve->Treo 800w->Touch Pro->Treo Pro> Curve "M"->HTC Hero.
    Mine's been stable as well. I can't report how stable it was out of the box, because the minute I took it out of the box, I applied a few hacks & installed apps.

On rare occassions, my device seems to lockup with TomTom7, when selecting a destination from my contacts. This only happens on rare occassions. Unfortunately, TT7 isn't really supported on the 800w

I do perform soft resets, which is done thru Sprite Backup. Afterwards, Memmaid activates and clears temp and clears/rebuilds notifications.

On rare occassions, I do get missed calls, but those are hard to pinpoint. It could be due to a call going thru, while handing off from one cell tower to another or something else I don't know about. I can't say it's the device, because I aso experienced that on my 700wx and my mom experienced it on her Motorola V3m. All of which, are on a Sprint network.
    Quote Originally Posted by BillA View Post
    Hi, does anyone know if Palm will be puting out an update ...
    The answer is "yes" as smartphones always get at least one Service Update during their life.

There is also confirmation from a Sprint technician here (muffnician) that Palm is working on a ROM update.

As to what it fixes/addresses and time of release--as always these are unknown.

Usually, they fall within 4-9months from release. Sometimes OS updates hold them up i.e. going from WM6 to 6.1. It's plausible we will get the new version of Mobile Internet Explorer (supports flash) when it is finished being developed by MS.

(To the rest on this thread, may I suggest you continue this discussion under existing threads like the stickied "bug" list. Also, bugs by definition have to be replicable on any device--not unique or isolated incidences).

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    I know they 'fixed' it already, but my phone still has odd behavior when it comes to charging. I posted at Palm and have not yet received a response from them. http://forums.palm.com/palm/board/me...hread.id=32700
    I know the main reason I have any "stability" issues, is all the software I install that has a warning before I install it. Mentioning that Microsoft never certified what I'm about to install. (Letting me know up front I may have some issues after installing it.) Because any time I have a stability problem, it typically involves that software in some way or form. And my Treo 800w is loaded up with it!

My device never saw a soft reboot hardly ever until I kept installing more and more of that uncertified software.

I think the best fix in regards to "stability" is not what Palm can do, but what these software package makers can do in getting their software certified for Windows Mobile by Microsoft. I think that would likely go a very long way in terms of stability.
    Some 3rd party software may be the culprit. There are many of us who have none or one and still have issues. Today I could not get texts from my wife's Q9C. Once I did a soft reset it was fine again. If she didn't call me to say she had been texting me all day and I did not reply I would have never known to reset. I have Memmaid installed and that is all. I never missed a text or call with the BlackBerry ever. There is something in this device that on occasion (radio and data sessions?) blocks calls and alerts. My first device had radio issues to the point there were no incoming anything. My second device occasionally missed a call or alert here and there. My 3rd and current device is starting this pattern now. It is a device issue. I know many of you die hards can't or won't admit it.

Nextel History From 2001-2004-> Motorola i1000-> Motorola i90c-> Motorola i95cl-> Motorola i730->Motorola i850.

Sprint History From 2005 - Currently->Sanyo 5500-> Sanyo 5600-> Sanyo-> 7400->Sanyo 8300->Sanyo->7500-> Sanyo 9000->Sanyo 8400->Sanyo M1->PPC-6700->Treo 700wx->PPC-6800(Mogul)-> Motorola Q9C-> Treo 800w-> Curve->Treo 800w->Touch Pro->Treo Pro> Curve "M"->HTC Hero.
    Quote Originally Posted by crazie.eddie View Post
    On rare occassions, I do get missed calls, but those are hard to pinpoint. It could be due to a call going thru, while handing off from one cell tower to another or something else I don't know about. I can't say it's the device, because I aso experienced that on my 700wx and my mom experienced it on her Motorola V3m. All of which, are on a Sprint network.
    I get missed calls and sms notifications as well. This occurs out of the box. Although others may have, I have not though experienced it with other sprint phones. Otherwise it is fairly stable. There is a bug thread on bugs and problems that exist, some of which could be remedied, but I think by stability we mean freezes, crashes and improper telephony function on the stock setup.
    Quote Originally Posted by VibrantRedGT View Post
    I know many of you die hards can't or won't admit it.
    It's hard to admit a device misses calls when you own one and never ever have had a missed call yet.

My theory, which I've mentioned before is.
    Well it's apparent some of the Treo 800w's are more reliable than some others coming off the production line. My first Treo 800w was going dead at times with no warning, till I'd do a soft reset by removing the battery, to get it back on. I got a replacement and all has been well.
    I feel honestly, that there is a significant number coming off the production line that have issues. My current Treo 800w is not one of them. How some people can get 3 or even 5 that all have issues I'm not having, I can't answer that, I can only speak from my own experiences when my experience is not the same as others.

My current device didn't need but perhaps 1 soft reset, till I started loading lots of uncertified applications. Now when I do have an occasional lock up, it's almost always related to those applications.
    I know with my old T650, there were occasions where I'd look at my device and notice a VM, but never heard a ring. I know every now and then I was missing calls. Perhaps I was in an area with bad reception at the time, or perhaps it was a bug in the Treo 650, but I did miss some calls I felt I should not have missed and I felt I was in an area with good reception. But 3 months with my latest Treo 800w and I have not missed a call yet. Never looked at my current device and saw a voice mail mysteriously there apart from the device ever ringing.

Did I miss calls with other devices, yes, but have not yet with my Treo 800w.
    I don't think I have a bad one because for some reason my battery is very good. I have not complained once about battery life. I have this device set up properly for battery life I guess.

There is something that this device is doing while a phone call, text, etc. is coming in. I feel its a radio issue. Like I mentioned the radio in my first device had big time failure after 9 days. They had never seen that happen to any device let alone a new device. The second one started to act up with the same thing and that is when I had enough and swapped to a BB. If this one starts going down this road then I am totally done with Palm. That's 3 chances I gave them and would be a moron to get a fourth. I am not saying this one is defective, yet.

I have had almost every smart phone/pda ever made and the 800w is as good as it gets... I don't add hacks/3rd party stuff... the speaker phone is it's worst quality.
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    I get missed calls and sms notifications as well. This occurs out of the box. Although others may have, I have not though experienced it with other sprint phones. Otherwise it is fairly stable. There is a bug thread on bugs and problems that exist, some of which could be remedied, but I think by stability we mean freezes, crashes and improper telephony function on the stock setup.
    Unless you are in an EVDO area, you will get missed calls if your Treo is accessing data while a call is coming in. Sprint's 1X doesn't do data and voice at the same time. This has been the case for all of the Sprint smartphones. That is the one thing I do like with AT&T. I'm not exactly sure how the EVDO areas work since we don't have have EVDO in our area. I know there is a setting on the 800W that says to interupt data when voice call comes in.
    Sprint 600 - 650 - 755 - Mogul - 700Wx - Centro - 800W & iPhone
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast