Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnH59 View Post
    Unless you are in an EVDO area, you will get missed calls if your Treo is accessing data while a call is coming in.
    Two things:

You can turn off the setting to not accept calls during an established data session. From the Today screen, Menu > Preferences > Phone Settings > Services tab > Data Settings > toggle "Do not allow a voice call to interrupt my data session."

Secondly, I have the issue with missed calls on occasion while in my office at work where I have a very strong EVDO connection always available. In my half of the building we have a signal repeater so I never go without a great signal.
    Quote Originally Posted by RickTreo650 View Post
    I have had almost every smart phone/pda ever made and the 800w is as good as it gets... I don't add hacks/3rd party stuff... the speaker phone is it's worst quality.

Gee, I kinda think the fact that it won't send POP e-mail might be a worse quality.
    Global Posts
    627 Global Posts
    Sending pop email isn't a defect with the phone. It's probably your settings or mail provider.
    I'm not exactly sure how the EVDO areas work since we don't have have EVDO in our area. I know there is a setting on the 800W that says to interupt data when voice call comes in.
    I'm in an EVDO area and it works 100% for me. If I'm using data, even the GPS, if someone calls me, I get the call and the data is interrupted, as I've requested my Treo 800w to do.

Which is why for a little while I could not understand why anyone else was having any problems. Some people are not in an EVDO area.
    I can send POP e-mail. And even receive it .
    Quote Originally Posted by wwejason View Post
    Two things:

You can turn off the setting to not accept calls during an established data session. From the Today screen, Menu > Preferences > Phone Settings > Services tab > Data Settings > toggle "Do not allow a voice call to interrupt my data session."

Secondly, I have the issue with missed calls on occasion while in my office at work where I have a very strong EVDO connection always available. In my half of the building we have a signal repeater so I never go without a great signal.
    From what I understand, that setting does not work on 1X systems, only EVDO.
    Sprint 600 - 650 - 755 - Mogul - 700Wx - Centro - 800W & iPhone
    Quote Originally Posted by santos View Post
    Sending pop email isn't a defect with the phone. It's probably your settings or mail provider.
    I am not even sure how one "sends" pop mail!

But problems with basic integrated programs are problems the phone. The product is not the case and hardware, it is also the integrated software and the integration, inclusion, licensing, testing and support are what you have paid Palm for every bit as much as the physically tangible.
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    I am not even sure how one "sends" pop mail!

But problems with basic integrated programs are problems the phone. The product is not the case and hardware, it is also the integrated software and the integration, inclusion, licensing, testing and support are what you have paid Palm for every bit as much as the physically tangible.
    Are you agreeing or disagreeing with Santos?

I've used POP/SMTP mail on multiple accounts with zero problems, both sending and receiving. It's 99.9% more likely that the problem lies with the configuration or the server than with the phone (hardware or software).

Yes he confused POP with SMTP, but that's an easy mistake to make.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebag333 View Post
    I am pointing to the fact that when integrated core function software is sold with a product it is as much a part of the product as the hardware. The responsibility and recourse is to Palm with the exception of cases where the the software has problems on other platforms, in that case the responsibility would only be partially Palms.

So I agree that most email problems are likely caused by ISP's and user setup, just not with the general implication sometimes made that the phone as a product doesn't comprise its hardware and included software.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebag333 View Post

I've used POP/SMTP mail on multiple accounts with zero problems, both sending and receiving. It's 99.9% more likely that the problem lies with the configuration or the server than with the phone (hardware or software).

Yes he confused POP with SMTP, but that's an easy mistake to make.
    I'm not sure he actually confused the two. Doesn't POP and SMTP basically go together? POP is generally the incoming server and SMTP is the outgoing server.
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    I am pointing to the fact that when integrated core function software is sold with a product it is as much a part of the product as the hardware. The responsibility and recourse is to Palm with the exception of cases where the the software has problems on other platforms, in that case the responsibility would only be partially Palms.

So I agree that most email problems are likely caused by ISP's and user setup, just not with the general implication sometimes made that the phone as a product doesn't comprise its hardware and included software.
    Yet...you have zero evidence that it is Palm's fault (and every indication that the problem lies with the server and/or user), and you're just so eager to jump back on the "blame Palm" bandwagon, eh?

It's certainly possible that there is a bug with a highly specific setup that causes it not to work. It's also possible that I might get personal investment advice from Warren Buffett. I'm not holding my breath on either one.

You may not intend for it to come across this way, but your post certainly reads as ready to bash Palm for the smallest things.

I'm not sure he actually confused the two. Doesn't POP and SMTP basically go together? POP is generally the incoming server and SMTP is the outgoing server.
    That's generally true. Aero was pointing out (in a fairly sarcastic fashion) that POP is not used for sending e-mail, only receiving. Users often refer to POP and SMTP as just "POP" e-mail, but that is not strictly technically correct.

It's like calling your computer box (hard drive, mobo, video card, CPU, etc) the "CPU" or "hard drive". The idea is there (and we all know what you mean), just not quite used in the correct fashion.
    Quote Originally Posted by santos View Post

Do some reading before you reply.
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post
    I can send POP e-mail. And even receive it .
    Sure you can Darnell. You just can't use the WM e-mail app or several others.

I bet you are a painful sight in that cheerleader uniform.
    Quote Originally Posted by socomon View Post
    Sure you can Darnell. You just can't use the WM e-mail app or several others.

I bet you are a painful sight in that cheerleader uniform.
    Socomon, you can say I'm lying, it really does not matter, because I DO send e-mail from my Treo 800w via POP mail USING the ROM loaded WM e-mail application.

With every Treo released, there are complaints about sending mail. The only time I've had problems sending mail is when the mail service provider didn't allow outside POP mail connections to send e-mail.

I'm sending mail from my Treo 800w via POP mail, using the WM e-mail app.
    The biggest problem (universal) with using POP is if it's from your ISP they generally don't allow you to send mail using their servers if you are not on their network (what is called "smtp relay")

This is a security feature to prevent people from spamming using their accounts, so the server checks. Since we are using Sprint devices and on the Sprint nettwork, the SMTP server won't allow you to send. This is almost 100% universal with ISP hosted accounts, which are generally POP3.

Most people in this situation in the past were advised to use Sprint's free SMTP servers for their outgoing email, since this happens on every smartphone. So you receive via POP3 (your ISP) but send using Sprint (SMTP).

Since we don't know what this POP server is though, it's really pointless to trouble shoot if there is no information to go on.

Also, FYI on mobile devices IMAP email services are generally preferred as they are much, much more power efficient than POP3 systems. Granted some people are tied to their POP3 accounts, but if possible and you are concerned with efficiency & battery life, you should switch to IMAP (or forward to an IMAP system like fastmail.fm). Marc Blank (Chatteremail) has written extensively on this topic.

I am not aware of any bug on WM6.1 devices that prevent outgoing email using SMTP. If it fails, it is almost guaranteed to be because your ISP or account provider does not allow you to send email off their network.
    Last edited by Malatesta; 10/22/2008 at 06:23 PM.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    The biggest problem (universal) with using POP is if it's from your ISP they generally don't allow you to send mail using their servers if you are not on their network (what is called "smtp relay")

I am not aware of any bug on WM6.1 devices that prevent outgoing email using SMTP. If it fails, it is almost guaranteed to be because your ISP or account provider does not allow you to send email off their network.
    Thanks Mal for your (as usual) well thought out and very insightful reply.
    I send POP email from my 800w. My provider is Suddenlink and they do allow secure SMTP outgoing. They didn't for a long time, so I would use my Gmail SMTP for my Suddenlink outgoing server address.
    Microsoft has acknowledged a WM 6.1 bug that causes SMTP accounts to become corrupt and quit sending mail. There are many many WM 6.1 users including many many Treo 800W users affected by this problem. The question is - how did Palm fail to detect it during beta testing - or did they?
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    I am not aware of any bug on WM6.1 devices that prevent outgoing email using SMTP.
    http://www.tracyandmatt.co.uk/blogs/...-1-smtp-issues

You are now.
    Microsoft has acknowledged a WM 6.1 bug that causes SMTP accounts to become corrupt and quit sending mail. There are many many WM 6.1 users including many many Treo 800W users affected by this problem. The question is - how did Palm fail to detect it during beta testing - or did they?
    Well I sure am glad I'm not having any issues when I send POP mail. But it appears there is already a resolution for people having those problems and it's linked right at the bottom of that article: Windows Mobile 6.1 SMTP error fixed!

And now that we all can move on from talking about e-mail issues...
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast