1.    #1  
    Hello all,

So I was testing out Resco Audio recorder on my 800w the other day, and I decided to delete it after the trial period. I used SKtools to remove the app and unfortunately it removed the default record app as well when I accidentily allowed it it too removed associated system files! I figured it should be in the rom but I couldn't seem to find it! Anyway, could anyone please post the default record app so I could reinstall it onto my 800w? Thanks!

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    I've told Resco they need to let everyone know on their PRODUCT PAGE, that their recorder product does not work with ANY 320 X 320 devices. They've known for a very long times (about 8 months) and still never let anyone know on the product page and people end up getting it and getting burned.
    If one test drives before laying out the cash, there would be no burning.
    Quote Originally Posted by bclinger View Post
    You make a good point but if you go there to buy Resco Explorer (great program that I tested first,) it offers you a whole bundle of software for like $15 more. The Audio Recorder is in the bundle. Sure I should have downloaded it and tested it first but I still feel ripped off by them since they already knew it was going on a 800w.

To the OP, I'm not really sure how to post files from ROM but will give it a try. Do you know the exact file names you need?
    Last edited by rc46; 10/20/2008 at 12:01 PM.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    Quote Originally Posted by bclinger View Post
    Even when not paying up front, let's say perhaps gfunkmagic was using a trial version. The mistake that was made on his part is only because he tried something he never knew would never work on a Treo 800w in the first place. Paying or not up front, it's still a hassle that can be avoided if the product maker let everyone know their product does not work with certain devices. Certain devices they've known it does not work with for over half a year.

This is an issue Resco knows about. But their supported devices page gives no regard to the devices the audio recorder does not work with. Resco's forum is loaded with countless people who have already "tried" or "paid" for the software that does not work on their 320 X 320 device. Regardless of whether they paid or not, it's much a headache to try something and know the maker of the product never informed you of an issue they've known about for well over 6 months.

As rc46 mentioned, the bundles make for a good deal, so even if one thing does not work, there's other things that do work and would cost more if purchased separately.
  6.    #6  
    Ok just to clear things up.... I download the Resco audio recorder via Resco's OWN updater that it bundles with all its apps! It gives you the option to download and install additional applications that they sell and the Audio recorder that was listed as one of the applications that I could download as a trial on my 800w. It didn't work and so I decided to uninstall the app using SKtools because my installed programs list under settings is very reliable imo as far as removing all the components of an application. Unfortunately, it seems SKTools works a little too well and somehow removed the default recorder as well! I also don't want to rely on the default remove app because I have found that in the past the entire list of installed apps can disappear as has happened to me recently...

Anyway, I'm sure the recorder file has to be somewhere in the rom...i just don't know where to look. If someone can just tell me where to find it then maybe I can just restore it....

P.S. I agree though that if Resco knows a specific app will not work some devices, then it should not allow users to accidently download those apps via its OWN UPDATER and screw up users devices...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic View Post
    Anyway, I'm sure the recorder file has to be somewhere in the rom...i just don't know where to look. If someone can just tell me where to find it then maybe I can just restore it....
    If the app was in ROM, then how could it be deleted? You could always do a hard reset. I don't suppose you have any Sprite backups to fall back on?
    Isn't the record app when you press the side button just Notes? I can't copy it out, but I am sure there is some way. It's just in /Windows/notes.exe
    I joined the cellphone thing late: razr v3m->treo 800w