Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 69
  1.    #1  
    The 800w's GPS is broken for initialization, we all know that.

    Now, the question is how to fix it.


    skfny had a good idea about trying to hack the network time to kickstart the GPS. Unfortunately the network time isn't stored in the registry or anywhere else easily accessible.

    So I was looking at other GPS drivers, and thought it very odd that the 800w GPS dll's I pulled off using PDOCREAD were the exact same as the 700wx's. Hmm, that doesn't seem right....

    So I grabbed the Vogue's drivers (one of the ones I had handy) and copied them over to the 800w. Now, I wasn't seriously expecting it to work, but for some reason the 800w's GPS dll's aren't showing in the /Windows/ directory (which is where everything points to).



    Here's a copy of the dll's for GPS. The 700wx's gpsid.dll is different because it's WM5. I don't know off-hand if the Titan/Vogue use the same GPS chipset, but I figured that might explain why they are identical. I've labeled them for convenience's sake.

    Ignore the date modified, that's the date they were extracted.




    Okay, all that's pretty straight forward. Now for the strange part...

    I decided to copy over the Vogue's drivers (as mentioned previously). And got this:







    But...err...uh....that's *NOT* the .dll's in the ROM.

    Anyone got any ideas?
  2. #2  
    Did they repackage them with different version numbers?

    That is odd that they aren't overwriting... it seems like they are simply there but not using those DLL's?
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Pooh View Post
    Did they repackage them with different version numbers?

    That is odd that they aren't overwriting... it seems like they are simply there but not using those DLL's?
    I can't get those versions of the DLL's off the 800w. I've extracted the DLL's using two different methods, both netted me the generic ones.

    And they will overwrite...
  4. #4  
    Ebag, both gpsapi.dll and gpsid.dill are in the ROM, they're just hidden. Use Resco File Explorer and you will see them. I tried to make a copy of them, but I keep getting access denied errors.

    For some reason you can't see them in windows, I have set my folder options to show both hidden files and protected system files. I still can't see those 2 .dll's.
  5. #5  
    I can see them just fine on the phone and in Windows, but can't get either to copy. Probably need to strip them out of a ROM dump instead.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by nsxprime View Post
    I can see them just fine on the phone and in Windows, but can't get either to copy. Probably need to strip them out of a ROM dump instead.
    The ROM dump gives the generic files.
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebag333 View Post
    But...err...uh....that's *NOT* the .dll's in the ROM.

    Anyone got any ideas?
    Ebag, did you ever figure this out? I noticed the same issue looking at the LED driver. The version that I got out of the filesystem/OS dump is not the same version that is actually being used on the 800w. Not sure what is going on here, it's almost as if there are two different versions, one in the filesystem and one in the XIP, and the XIP version is overriding the one in the filesystem. Either that, or the extraction just didn't work correctly but from what I can tell, it's intact.

    Not sure if I can trust what I am looking at...
  8.    #8  
    Never did. This completely baffled me too.....
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebag333 View Post
    Never did. This completely baffled me too.....
    *sigh* thanks.

    I suppose I can use LoadLibrary() which will load the right version, and then dump the pages mapped in memory for instruction and data, but it's going to be ugly trying to decode it in raw form rather than proper DLL form.

    Man, they never make it easy, do they...
  10.    #10  
    Hmm....


    How much you wanna bet that this is why we can't get the full/correct XIP?
  11. #11  
    Yeah, I don't know what to make of this weirdness...

    But I think the XIP can be extracted if we can just get it uncompressed. I seem to recall it being in SRPX format... it might be a matter of finding the right offset to skip past and then it will work. I took a quick look at it before but didn't spend too much time on it.
  12. #12  

    WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    LOL, I want you to know, I broke a rule of mine by posting in a thread that contained the g-word in the thread title. I swore I'd never do that...
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by zbop View Post
    LOL, I want you to know, I broke a rule of mine by posting in a thread that contained the g-word in the thread title. I swore I'd never do that...
    lol, s'ok

    I just enjoy you two talking shop. Lots of geek talk in there that I have no idea about but am fascinated you two do, so keep it up

    WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
  15. xdalaw's Avatar
    Posts
    583 Posts
    Global Posts
    680 Global Posts
    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    lol, s'ok

    I just enjoy you two talking shop. Lots of geek talk in there that I have no idea about but am fascinated you two do, so keep it up
    Agreed.
    Palm III -> Handspring Visor Deluxe -> Dell Axim X5 Advanced -> Dell Axim X3i -> Dell Axim X50v -> Cingular 8125 -> Sprint Palm Treo 700Wx -> ->Palm Treo 700P (my wife's but I played with it ) -> Sprint Mogul -> Treo 800w -> Touch Pro & Treo Pro.
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by zbop View Post
    Yeah, I don't know what to make of this weirdness...

    But I think the XIP can be extracted if we can just get it uncompressed. I seem to recall it being in SRPX format... it might be a matter of finding the right offset to skip past and then it will work. I took a quick look at it before but didn't spend too much time on it.
    Well, if we can get the correct offset, it's just a matter of finding the right kiliwinkles, and making sure we can extract the correction portion of the XIP based on the translucidity of the partition.



    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    I just enjoy you two talking shop. Lots of geek talk in there that I have no idea about but am fascinated you two do, so keep it up
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebag333 View Post
    Well, if we can get the correct offset, it's just a matter of finding the right kiliwinkles, and making sure we can extract the correction portion of the XIP based on the translucidity of the partition.


    heeeey...now you're just making stuff up!

    Still for the record, I always knew it was the kiliwinkles. But I do maintain that we still need a virtual binary agent related to an active knowledge-based architecture for a true matrix cross-platform solution.

    But if we were to actually do that...well, you know.


    WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebag333 View Post
    Well, if we can get the correct offset, it's just a matter of finding the right kiliwinkles, and making sure we can extract the correction portion of the XIP based on the translucidity of the partition.
    Haha, very funny Mr. Ebag, as Mal said you are just pokin fun at our expense.

    Seriously though, it's okay because you jogged my memory and I forgot there's a way to separate the partitions. Some of the newer bootloaders support firmware images that have been encoded with a differential wavelength algorithm. In layman's terms it's a form of chromatic encryption. The partitions are distinguished by bitshifting based on an assigned wavelength.

    There is a tool for this, try the following link: wiki.xda-developers.com/index.php?pagename=RomTools#wavelengthdecoder

    The way it works is the XIP is encoded with a red wavelength and the filesystem in cyan. You apply the tool and simply close your left eye to see the filesystem, right eye to see the XIP. Left eye, filesystem. Right eye, XIP. Really very simple.










    Oy, geek humor, it's like being trapped in an episode of "Chuck" (without the hot babes... )
  19. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by zbop View Post
    Haha, very funny Mr. Ebag, as Mal said you are just pokin fun at our expense.

    Seriously though, it's okay because you jogged my memory and I forgot there's a way to separate the partitions. Some of the newer bootloaders support firmware images that have been encoded with a differential wavelength algorithm. In layman's terms it's a form of chromatic encryption. The partitions are distinguished by bitshifting based on an assigned wavelength.

    There is a tool for this, try the following link: wiki.xda-developers.com/index.php?pagename=RomTools#wavelengthdecoder

    The way it works is the XIP is encoded with a red wavelength and the filesystem in cyan. You apply the tool and simply close your left eye to see the filesystem, right eye to see the XIP. Left eye, filesystem. Right eye, XIP. Really very simple.










    Oy, geek humor, it's like being trapped in an episode of "Chuck" (without the hot babes... )
    MMMMM....Sarah............ (OK, that was my Chuck reference for the day)
  20. #20  
    I'm over here reading the geek dictionary with Mal. What does all this mean? Are we possibly going to get fully functional GPS if we (and by we, I mean they) can figure this out?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions