Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 69
  1.    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by skfny View Post
    I'm over here reading the geek dictionary with Mal. What does all this mean? Are we possibly going to get fully functional GPS if we (and by we, I mean they) can figure this out?
    Possibly. I'm still not convinced it's something simpler.....
  2. #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebag333 View Post
    Possibly. I'm still not convinced it's something simpler.....
    If it was, wouldn't it have been working already?
  3.    #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by nsxprime View Post
    If it was, wouldn't it have been working already?
    Why would the fact that something is easy make it magically work?

    Often the easiest things take the longest. It could be something as simple as an obscure registry key being populated (though I've looked for exactly that and not found it, so I doubt that's it).
  4. #24  
    That would, of course, beg the question:

    Why would Palm disable it? The Sprint lockdown theory went out the window when the Touch Pro launched with real GPS.
  5. krsh87's Avatar
    Posts
    37 Posts
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    #25  
    I can't believe the gps doesn't work, no wonder I had a hard time finding my way! lol. My blackberry worked great for gps!! If you find a fix please let us know...
  6. #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by t800w View Post
    I can't believe the gps doesn't work, no wonder I had a hard time finding my way! lol. My blackberry worked great for gps!! If you find a fix please let us know...
    GPS works, just not off-network. Which is what I hope you meant because otherwise if your GPS doesn't work at all under any circumstances, you have a large issue that we need to fix

    WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
  7.    #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by skfny View Post
    That would, of course, beg the question:

    Why would Palm disable it? The Sprint lockdown theory went out the window when the Touch Pro launched with real GPS.
    As I've stated before, my best guess (and a guess is all anyone has) is that Palm locked down GPS for Verizon when they were going to carry the phone, and either forgot to unlock it or did not unlock it completely.

    We know that Verizon pretty much locks down every single phone, so it's a pretty fair assumption.
  8. krsh87's Avatar
    Posts
    37 Posts
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    GPS works, just not off-network. Which is what I hope you meant because otherwise if your GPS doesn't work at all under any circumstances, you have a large issue that we need to fix
    That is what i meant, off network! It should work like a real one shouldn't it? My blackberry's worked great!
  9. #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by t800w View Post
    That is what i meant, off network! It should work like a real one shouldn't it? My blackberry's worked great!
    It should, certainly.

    Although interesting bit about Blackberry: Sprint's 8830 had the same problem, never fixed.

    WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
  10. krsh87's Avatar
    Posts
    37 Posts
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    It should, certainly.

    Although interesting bit about Blackberry: Sprint's 8830 had the same problem, never fixed.
    OMG, for real? I should have kept my 8130! It was small but worked great!! no volume trouble or nothing, and i sold it to buy this 800w that i have to hack the reg on just to get a louder ringer, If i didn't like a challenge I would sell this POS right now lol........

    BTw, this website is on my start page on my PIE, I just downloaded iris too, I can't wait to use it, so far it reminds me of opera!
  11.    #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by t800w View Post
    I can't believe the gps doesn't work, no wonder I had a hard time finding my way! lol. My blackberry worked great for gps!! If you find a fix please let us know...
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    GPS works, just not off-network. Which is what I hope you meant because otherwise if your GPS doesn't work at all under any circumstances, you have a large issue that we need to fix
    For what it's worth, I've gotten GPS to work successfully off network.

    Now quite a few people have not reported the same results as me, so it may or may not work for you.


    Anyway, all I do is initialize (start) my GPS while in network. Once it's initialized, I can leave the network and GPS will continue to work. Palm's KB article suggests that you can turn off the phone radio once GPS is initialized, I do not do that and I suspect that turning the phone radio off may be related to why people "lose" their GPS off network.

    I've used it for 2 60 mile(ish) trips off network, and one 100 mile trip off network. All three times GPS worked fine.


    The big catch is that if you have to soft reset or somehow otherwise lose your GPS while off network, you cannot reinitialize it until you are on network again. (Which is why I carry a GPS puck with me as well.)

    That's my experience, which doesn't seem to match everyone's. Just FYI. YMMV. FWIW. HTH. Etc.
  12. krsh87's Avatar
    Posts
    37 Posts
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    #32  
    worth a shot ebag! U can put a puck to the 800w? I may just buy a small used gps for work because I have a bad habit of going to the wrong stores if i don't run the same stores for a while lol...... I have done that 2 times in over a year but is more than i want too!
  13. #33  
    As I was told by Palm support prior to them refunding the cost of my phone in response to a BBB complaint about their inaccurate advertising- I was told the phone require a handshake with the telecom network before obtaining system time.

    As this phone uses the same chipset as other GPS enabled phones- I'd be willing to wager the timestamp is still recieved from the GPS satellites, rather than from the cellular network- and as speculated in here, this is because of a Verizon-influenced implementation of control over GPS function.

    I think the question I have though- is that since I could never get a GPS connection with Verizon native signals, or CDMA in Canada- I wonder if the e911 GPS functions work?

    If this phone cannot get a rough location of itself outside Sprints coverage area- even when it is roaming- I'd imagine that in itself would require a total product recall.
  14. #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by grant516 View Post
    If this phone cannot get a rough location of itself outside Sprints coverage area- even when it is roaming- I'd imagine that in itself would require a total product recall.
    nah, I think you're confusing things.

    e911 uses two possible technologies:
    • Advanced Forward Lateral Triangulation (AFLT)
    • aGPS

    aGPS by definition requires the network to be available and the overwhelming devices on Sprint (virtually all) are aGPS and only function on Sprint's network; e911 does not require (nor use) standalone GPS.

    If the Sprint network is not available and you are roaming, then AFLT can be used. It is less accurate, but more universal. Heck, AT&T just started using aGPS last month.

    If no CDMA network, you're just screwed. lol

    WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
  15. krsh87's Avatar
    Posts
    37 Posts
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by grant516 View Post
    As I was told by Palm support prior to them refunding the cost of my phone in response to a BBB complaint about their inaccurate advertising- I was told the phone require a handshake with the telecom network before obtaining system time.

    As this phone uses the same chipset as other GPS enabled phones- I'd be willing to wager the timestamp is still recieved from the GPS satellites, rather than from the cellular network- and as speculated in here, this is because of a Verizon-influenced implementation of control over GPS function.

    I think the question I have though- is that since I could never get a GPS connection with Verizon native signals, or CDMA in Canada- I wonder if the e911 GPS functions work?

    If this phone cannot get a rough location of itself outside Sprints coverage area- even when it is roaming- I'd imagine that in itself would require a total product recall.
    I agree with the recall part, if these phones were cheap I would expect it, but when they retail for over 500 without a contract, if u can even find en in my area
  16. #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    nah, I think you're confusing things.

    e911 uses two possible technologies:
    • Advanced Forward Lateral Triangulation (AFLT)
    • aGPS

    aGPS by definition requires the network to be available and the overwhelming devices on Sprint (virtually all) are aGPS and only function on Sprint's network; e911 does not require (nor use) standalone GPS.

    If the Sprint network is not available and you are roaming, then AFLT can be used. It is less accurate, but more universal. Heck, AT&T just started using aGPS last month.

    If no CDMA network, you're just screwed. lol

    If the sprint network is not available and I am roaming, my 'aGPS' or standalone or whatever it -isn't- on my Treo 800w was supposed to work too... but it didn't.

    I'm not trying to find loopholes here- I'm geniunely curious if whatever system they use to prohibit allowing access to the GPS off-network or location services messes with more components than they had expected.

    All speculation. Again, I have no interest at this point in a solution- I have a more functioning Touch Pro.
  17. #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by t800w View Post
    I agree with the recall part, if these phones were cheap I would expect it, but when they retail for over 500 without a contract, if u can even find en in my area
    No recall. Even if none of us take part here take part there will be a class action. It will be more like $25 to $50 per handset. If Palm is still in business.
  18. #38  
    Quote Originally Posted by grant516 View Post
    If the sprint network is not available and I am roaming, my 'aGPS' or standalone or whatever it -isn't- on my Treo 800w was supposed to work too... but it didn't.
    The standalone part of the GPS is not working. That won't matter if you even have a network signal.

    aGPS is not required to work on cross-networks for consumer features.

    aGPS for e911 is somewhat different. For instance, the ppc-6700 had aGPS/e911 and we could even pull and see the sat data via a special menu. But, the info was not useful for anything since there was no interface for the OS--so no LBS or driving directions (this infuriated everyone at the time, since it was like we almost had GPS).

    In other words, testing your aGPS off Sprint's network doesn't actually tell you anything about the e911 aGPS since the two are different "modes" of operation.

    WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
  19. #39  
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebag333 View Post
    The 800w's GPS is broken f
    I have an unprovisioned 800w that will be going back but which I can hold onto for a week. If there are any tests that could be helpful from unprovisioned device please let me know by PM.
  20. Jim1348's Avatar
    Posts
    5 Posts
    Global Posts
    68 Global Posts
    #40  
    This probably answers what we have been discussing in another thread here.
    So, I gather that if I were to get a Palm Treo 800w and install Garmin Mobile 800w, it would work as long as I subscribe to cellular service, but otherwise the GPS function of the Palm Treo 800w will simply not work then?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions