Global Posts
    347 Global Posts
    For internet radio: which is easier to get stations? I have played a little with ptunes and it seems that getting a stream outside of their catalog takes some work. it keeps wanting to play in WMP and not ptunes which keeps me from being able to just open program and choose station. i have to go to the website each time to get it to play. i am using freeplay right now and want to know how easy it is to get the pay version to set up/play streaming audio from websites. can they be added as favorites within Kinoma? are the issues described here consistant with others? hope this post makes sense...

Moderators: if this should be merged with the thread already dedicated to Kinoma, feel free....
    Devices used: Palm VIIx - Tungsten T - Tungsten T3 - HP ipaq 4155 - Tungsten T5 - BB 7520 - Treo 650 - Treo 700wx - Treo 755p - Q9c - BB 8130 - Treo 800w - HTC Touch Pro - BB 8330 - BB 8520 - HTC HD2 - Palm Pre
    I've got Kinoma Play and adding new streams (outside of the ton already available) is as easy as entering the URL and it can be saved as a Favorite. The option to save the stream URL as a Favorite is a check box right under where the URL is entered in Kinoma Play.

Kinoma Play can also read .pls playlist files. So if you see a stream on a site like Shoutcast.com on your PC (assuming you missed it already in Kinoma Play ) and download the .pls file for the stream to your PC and copy that to your Treo 800w, Kinoma Play can play it with no hassles. And you can save that to Favorites.
    Global Posts
    347 Global Posts
    but is it worth the hassle of having to fiddle with the volume after every call? is that issue present in ptunes? i would guess that this is a very valid bug and will probably be addressed with future updates but i have spent too much money on software only to find something else did what i needed better at the same time.
    Devices used: Palm VIIx - Tungsten T - Tungsten T3 - HP ipaq 4155 - Tungsten T5 - BB 7520 - Treo 650 - Treo 700wx - Treo 755p - Q9c - BB 8130 - Treo 800w - HTC Touch Pro - BB 8330 - BB 8520 - HTC HD2 - Palm Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by ehehat View Post
    but is it worth the hassle of having to fiddle with the volume after every call? is that issue present in ptunes? i would guess that this is a very valid bug and will probably be addressed with future updates but i have spent too much money on software only to find something else did what i needed better at the same time.
    You mean this bug in Kinoma Play that I've mentioned? All I know is, that so far Kinoma has been responsive to fixing issues. So I anticipate the issue will be fixed in a future update.

I have only used PTunes on Palm OS, never Windows Mobile, so I can't say what the WM version of PTunes will do in this regard. I do know Kinoma Play does way more than PTunes from what I've seen of both.

(And I had a PTunes lifetime Palm OS license, if that lets you know how far I go back with using PTunes. Only the earliest owners of PTunes many years ago could ever get such a license.)

For me, the bug in Kinoma Play is not something making me want to seek a refund although I do want the issue fixed. Basically for the moment I have to increase Kinoma Play's volume manually after a call when using a BT stereo device, but I'm not getting calls every 5 minutes. I guess if I was getting calls every 5 minutes, it would be too much of a disturbance for me to ever enjoy the music . (The calls possibly more than the bug.)
    I own both on my Treo 800w and have been using Pocket Tunes on the Palm OS since day one. I too have a lifetime Palm OS license.

The windows mobile version of pocket tunes is a very stable, very refined app. That being said it is really limited compared to the slightly buggy Kinoma Play. Kinoma has a much nicer interface and is much easier to find songs and make on the fly play lists. If you are into album art then PT is again limited and only shows a tiny thumbnail of the cover art where as Kinoma uses about 2/3's of the screen with the cover art.

As far as streaming radio goes, Kinoma blows PT out of the water. It is super simple to search for any radio station that has a online stream plus the Kinoma directory already has hundreds there for you to try out.

If I could only have one of these apps it would be an easy choice for me to go with Kinoma all the way. The developer is working hard to make this the perfect app and in a few months I predict it will be close to perfect.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    So I too have both of these apps and for me, based on how I use my device (as my 100% fulltime music player) I have to say I like pTunes much better.

Yes Kinoma looks cool and has some awesome multi-media cool stuff, but I don't really use those. What I like MOST about pTunes (and what I've requested in the Kinoma forums is how I can end the app (exit it actually - yes, that's possible now in KP) but when I start pTunes back up, it starts RIGHT where I left off, on its own, with no input from me (no History, or On The Go, or Favorites, or anything). Just starts right there, with ALL the music I'd selected ready to go and keep going.

Yes I wish pTunes had some of the cool eye candy and user interface goodness that KP has, and I do find myself playing around with KP from time to time, but when I get down to it, I rely on pTunes for everything I use - just how I use it.

Oh and not having AVRCP (stereo BT controls like pause, next, etc) is a deal killer for me. Even the useless Windows Media Player has that. And I've used (and paid for) just about every media player app out there - Pocket Player, pTunes, Kinoma, and I end up with pTunes every time.
    Global Posts
    347 Global Posts
    Thanks for all the feedback!

I think I'm going with Kinoma for now. I'm trusting that the BT controlls will be worked out in a (hopfully soon) update.

rc46: you mention how easy it is to find streaming radio stations. Is this by using the "Open URL" command? I have trid using this and keep getting unsupported mime errors. When I try using the station search engines (wether tuned.mobi, tuner2, etc) MOST stations i know have streaming audio on their websites show up as "nothing found". What gives? Do I need to request that each station I'm looking for be added to Kinoma Guide?

darnell: as usual, thats for all the information/help. I was referring to the volume "bug" you were talking about and, like you, I am expecting a fix in the (near?) future.

JohnnyMac: Ptunes is all I have ever used and is a great app. Even with the struggles I am having with streaming audio with Kinoma, I have been able to get much more use with this feature than with ptunes. Hopefully they can turn their app more in this direction.....
    rc46: you mention how easy it is to find streaming radio stations. Is this by using the "Open URL" command? I have trid using this and keep getting unsupported mime errors. When I try using the station search engines (wether tuned.mobi, tuner2, etc) MOST stations i know have streaming audio on their websites show up as "nothing found". What gives? Do I need to request that each station I'm looking for be added to Kinoma Guide?
    I just go into the search part of Kinoma and put in the stations call letters. It promptly finds the station and then I add it to my favorites. Could not be easier.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    Global Posts
    347 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rc46 View Post
    I just go into the search part of Kinoma and put in the stations call letters. It promptly finds the station and then I add it to my favorites. Could not be easier.
    I must be looking for "weird" stations then. I sent en email to Charles as well as posted a request on the Kinoma thread. Seems strange that search cant find anything as this network is in about 8 different states.
    but is it worth the hassle of having to fiddle with the volume after every call?
    Last week's update fixed all known Bluetooth issues.

If you have to fiddle with anything to start hearing audio again after a call, please contact support and report it so it gets properly tested and tracked. (Thanks!)

-- Charles Wiltgen
    Kinoma Notes blog | Subscribe to blog (email) | Subscribe to blog (RSS) | Follow Kinoma for news/content alerts | Follow KinomaTips for tips/tricks
    Global Posts
    347 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles@Kinoma View Post
    Last week's update fixed all known Bluetooth issues.

If you have to fiddle with anything to start hearing audio again after a call, please contact support and report it so it gets properly tested and tracked. (Thanks!)

-- Charles Wiltgen
    Hi Charles,

would this include the AVRCP issues?
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyMac View Post
    Oh and not having AVRCP (stereo BT controls like pause, next, etc) is a deal killer for me.
    BTW, I understand the convenience of double-buttons, but what's the scenario where it's not possible to click the same buttons on your phone?

-- Charles Wiltgen
    Kinoma Notes blog | Subscribe to blog (email) | Subscribe to blog (RSS) | Follow Kinoma for news/content alerts | Follow KinomaTips for tips/tricks
    would this include the AVRCP issues?
    Right now, AVRCP is just a feature request.

-- Charles Wiltgen
    c46: you mention how easy it is to find streaming radio stations. Is this by using the "Open URL" command? I have trid using this and keep getting unsupported mime errors.
    Most likely, you're trying to open URLs to web pages rather than media files or streams.

Can you provide an example?

-- Charles Wiltgen
    Global Posts
    347 Global Posts
    Most likely, you're trying to open URLs to web pages rather than media files or streams.

Can you provide an example?

-- Charles Wiltgen
    This is exatcly what was happening. So in the future, what should i be looking for? I go to a website that has streaming audio. Click the "listen now" button that usually opens another window. I try copying that url into Kinoma and it doesnt work. Is there a "trick" to getting the URL for an audio stream? (I looked at your user manual and had no luck finding this answer)
    Global Posts
    347 Global Posts
    Right now, AVRCP is just a feature request.

-- Charles Wiltgen
    I agree that there is no way it could be called a "bug" but for those looking forward to the compatibility it certainly could be called an "issue".
    BTW, I understand the convenience of double-buttons, but what's the scenario where it's not possible to click the same buttons on your phone?

-- Charles Wiltgen
    Oh wow I can give you tons of examples where it's more useful to press a button that's near you (as in, ON the headset) rather than reaching down and:
    1. waking up the screen if it's gone black
    2. hitting next/pause/play/whatever and then play again, if paused
    3. Putting the device back in your pocket or wherever it was

Here are just a few examples:

- walking through an airport pulling a bag, listening to music (device is in pocket or briefcase, etc)
    - driving a car, listening to music (device is on seat next to you or on center console)
    - riding a bike, listening to music, and you want to skip to the next song (device is in pocket or CamelBak)
    - at the grocery store, listening to music and you stroll up to the checkout line, and it's time to checkout.
    - jogging on a treadmill, listening to music and the device is on the floor (or even in one the slots on the treadmill)

Virtually ANY scenario in which it's simply more convenient to mash a button on your headset (or on the pod thing that might hang down below if you use a Sony Ericsson unit like the one I have) than it is to reach down, pull your device out of your pocket or whatever, to pause or advance the music.

SO much easier to do anything with A2DP than it to use to the device button controls. I suspect you might not use a Stereo BT unit - my point of saying that is that like many things in life, you may not have an appreciation for something until you use it or have it. Many people didn't think they needed TiVo until they had it. Many people didn't appreciate the value of a microwave oven until they had one ("Hey, I like cooking a baked potato for three hours!"). See what I'm saying - don't discount the value until you have it.

All good.
    Oh wow I can give you tons of examples where it's more useful to press a button that's near you (as in, ON the headset) rather than reaching down and: 1. waking up the screen if it's gone black
    I've never had to wake the screen, but even if it's one step your note helps me understand why it's important for you.

SO much easier to do anything with A2DP than it to use to the device button controls. I suspect you might not use a Stereo BT unit...
    Just in my car, where (in my case) it's simple to use the phone directly. But you listed several scenarios where I can see where that could be inconvenient.

Thanks!

-- Charles Wiltgen
    I go to a website that has streaming audio. Click the "listen now" button that usually opens another window. I try copying that url into Kinoma and it doesnt work. Is there a "trick" to getting the URL for an audio stream?
    The trick is to look at the stream's properties in the player, which (if you're looking at it in a browser) is actually a plug-in rather than the browser.

For the Windows Media example you sent earlier, the key was to right-click on the player (the rectangular area with the playback controls) and select Properties to get the URL.

And then, please let us know by emailing content@ our domain so it's available for all Kinoma customers via Kinoma Guide.

-- Charles Wiltgen