Global Posts
    122 Global Posts
    I'm just wondering how the battery life compares to other devices when 3G is switched on. I know that I can drain the battery completely in about 3 hours (maybe 3.5, but I can't imagine I'd get 4), if I stream music continuously... (For reference, 64K AAC+ from DI.fm).

Given that this is the first WM device I've owned (hell, the first 3G device...), I'm just wondering if this is common or not.

It probably doesn't help that I don't have fantastic 3G reception at home (2 bars, generally. Of course, I could go back to normal GSM/GPRS and get perfect reception, but that's so slow... No EDGE network for me ).

Oh, and I can only get 3G on 2100MHz - the other frequency for my operator is apparently 900MHz. I imagine that only affects battery life because I don't get as strong a signal as I would if the Pro supported the 900MHz frequency, yes?

Also, while I'm here, why does the little icon next to the reception indicator keep switching between 3G and H? I only tend to notice this when I've got an active data connection (i.e. always). I assume it's just switching between HSPA and UMTS?
    Quote Originally Posted by ipsi View Post
    I'm just wondering how the battery life compares to other devices when 3G is switched on. I know that I can drain the battery completely in about 3 hours (maybe 3.5, but I can't imagine I'd get 4), if I stream music continuously... (For reference, 64K AAC+ from DI.fm).

Given that this is the first WM device I've owned (hell, the first 3G device...), I'm just wondering if this is common or not.
    Yet to give my Treo Pro a hammering like that, but those figures are in line with what I got from my 750 on Vodafone Australia 2100MHz (although I prefer the sky.fm Oldies channel...)

It probably doesn't help that I don't have fantastic 3G reception at home (2 bars, generally. Of course, I could go back to normal GSM/GPRS and get perfect reception, but that's so slow... No EDGE network for me ).
    2 bars shouldn't be a problem. You might wish to set the phone to UMTS only to save a bit of power.

Also, while I'm here, why does the little icon next to the reception indicator keep switching between 3G and H? I only tend to notice this when I've got an active data connection (i.e. always). I assume it's just switching between HSPA and UMTS?
    "H" just indicates availability of HSDPA (I'm increasingly seeing it even without a data session active on the Telstra network), "3G" indicates UMTS.