Global Posts
    68 Global Posts
    The Treo Pro is my first venture into Windows Mobile after 7 years of PalmOS usage... so please bear me and all my newbie questions

I have paired the Treo and my PC via Bluetooth. The problem is, I cannot send any files via Bluetooth to the Treo (for example, vCards). After I send them, the PC connects to the Treo via Bluetooth but returns an error that the transfer could not be completed. The same method works beautifully with the Centro, but on the Treo - no go.

Conversely, I can't seem to find any option to send files via Bluetooth from the Treo. In the file manager, I have the "Send" option in menu which sends via MMS or email, and "Beam" which send via IR. But can't seem to find Bluetooth there.
    Global Posts
    514 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Michau View Post
    Conversely, I can't seem to find any option to send files via Bluetooth from the Treo. In the file manager, I have the "Send" option in menu which sends via MMS or email, and "Beam" which send via IR. But can't seem to find Bluetooth there.
    That was what I thought. But 'Beam' brings up the option to send by either IR or BT.
    Global Posts
    68 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Biggles View Post
    That was what I thought. But 'Beam' brings up the option to send by either IR or BT.
    I got this one. Then I tap "Beam", it shows "Infrared" but also a "Searching" option which after few seconds changes to a list of BkueTooth devices nearby. Nice.

But still, receiving files on Treo Pro doesn't work...
    Global Posts
    514 Global Posts
    Just did a little sending and receiving of files to an from my laptop, which worked fine in both directions. I don't use vCards but I just sent a .jpg file each way.
    Same problem here. I am able to send files to a computer, but receiving files from the same computer doesn't work. an error message pops up. also, this may or may not be important but the initial pairing took quite a while on the treo side (the spinning wheel was present for about a minute).
    Global Posts
    68 Global Posts
    I got a second Treo Pro (first one goes to my wife), and the same problem happens. I can send files but not receive them. I paired it also with my Centro, and the same problem happens - when sending anything from Centro to Treo Pro, a message "Unable to send" appears.
    Global Posts
    221 Global Posts
    With my Pro I can send and receive files to my laptop fine...if they're small. If I try to send anything that takes more than a minute the BT connection drops.
    Quote Originally Posted by Michau View Post
    I got a second Treo Pro (first one goes to my wife), and the same problem happens. I can send files but not receive them. I paired it also with my Centro, and the same problem happens - when sending anything from Centro to Treo Pro, a message "Unable to send" appears.
    May be a dumb question from my side, but did you activate that the treo pro should receive all incomming data under 'Settings\Connections'*?
    Wasn't activated on my treo pro and caused me some headaches... (coming from PalmOS)
    *: Sorry, I don't know if this is 100% correct translated, I am using a german treo pro.
  9. CDG
    Global Posts
    2,003 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ka-Efka View Post
    May be a dumb question from my side, but did you activate that the treo pro should receive all incomming data under 'Settings\Connections'*?
    Wasn't activated on my treo pro and caused me some headaches... (coming from PalmOS)
    *: Sorry, I don't know if this is 100% correct translated, I am using a german treo pro.
    I cannot find the "receive all incoming data". When I go to settings>connection, I get all the different types of connection available. What am I missing?
    The respective icon there should display blue + red rings and dots.
    Hope this helps!
  11. CDG
    Global Posts
    2,003 Global Posts
    Sorry, I still don't understand. Could you please post what you do after settings > connection?

Thank you for taking the time.
    The 'blue + red rings and dots' as he says, is the "Beam" icon.
    In there is a place to check mark "receive all incoming beams".
    I'm pretty that's what he means.
    But I thought that only applied to IR beams.
    I find Sending Contacts between the Treo Pro and my Centro an iffy affair....
    Check out my My Medical webOS Apps
    Featured free apps: DrugView | Eponyms | eMed | Dosecalcfree | Beeb News
    I find sending/receiving via bluetooth on my Pro a stupidly frustrating affair. It beats me why it can't be as simple as on most other phones. I don't really bother with it anymore.
  15. CDG
    Global Posts
    2,003 Global Posts
    It works fine sending from the TP to the laptop but not the other way around.
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    The 'blue + red rings and dots' as he says, is the "Beam" icon.
    In there is a place to check mark "receive all incoming beams".
    I'm pretty that's what he means.
    But I thought that only applied to IR beams.
    Yes, that's it. Thank you!
    MS does a good job in localising the OS, but makes it difficult to 're-translate' ;-)

After I found this function/checkbox (I also believed it would just be responsible for IR). I had no problems anymore in receiving anything via BT. Including from my Centro and TX (and the phones from my friends).
    Naming the icon 'Beam' is even worse with respect to what beaming is in PalmOS.
    If it still does not work, under 'Sounds and Notifications/Notifications' in the pull-down menu you can select something like 'Data transfer: automatic receiving'. I had issues with there as well when I had not checked the option to show a notification.

I just recently switched from Centro to treo pro. Interesting to see how similar the transition issues are.
    WinMob is not at all as intuitive to use as PalmOS, and the hide and seek you have to play with the settings is not helpful. e.g.: 6 different notifications for MMS and only one is really required...

best regards!
    Last edited by Ka-Efka; 11/14/2008 at 06:55 AM.
    Global Posts
    68 Global Posts
    I have checked my wife's Treo Pro and indeed, it didn't have the "Receive all icoming beams" option checked.

So, I checked it, and tried sending from my Treo Pro to her Treo Pro. Did not work. Arghhh!
    I just tried this on my Treo Pro and sure enough it worked. I enabled "Receive all incoming beams", turned bluetooth on, made it visible to all devices and tried sending a file to my Treo from my laptop.

Laptop sent the file and a little notification popped up on the Treo asking me if I wanted to save it, whereas before the laptop just said "Could not send file.". I have no idea what the beam setting has to do with bluetooth, but that appears to be the answer for now!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ka-Efka View Post
    This setting under the Beam icon worked for me. Thanks!
    I enable the incoming 'beam' setting bit unfortunately when I tried to send a contact from my Centro to the TP it did not work. The other way does work.
    Strange!