1.    #1  
    Hopefully one of you battery experts can help me with this one....

I like the screen saver but I also like listening to mp3's on my TP. However, it is starting to "do my head in" that when the TP is in "screensaver mode", the music makes a slight skip every minute, when the time changes on the screensaver. My choices, as I see it, are either disable the screensaver or don't go into screensaver mode when I'm listening to mp3's.

My questions is this:

What exactly is the power consumption differential when listening with the screen is turned off totally as opposed to it just being at the Today screen or just in the WMP screen?

If the differential isn't too great, I'm just going to keep the device in the Today screen when I'm listening to mp3's but if it is large, I'll disable the screensaver until a fix comes out (....if ever!)

Cheers

Agg
    Global Posts
    221 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Agg (of Leve) View Post
    Hopefully one of you battery experts can help me with this one....

I like the screen saver but I also like listening to mp3's on my TP. However, it is starting to "do my head in" that when the TP is in "screensaver mode", the music makes a slight skip every minute, when the time changes on the screensaver. My choices, as I see it, are either disable the screensaver or don't go into screensaver mode when I'm listening to mp3's.

My questions is this:

What exactly is the power consumption differential when listening with the screen is turned off totally as opposed to it just being at the Today screen or just in the WMP screen?

If the differential isn't too great, I'm just going to keep the device in the Today screen when I'm listening to mp3's but if it is large, I'll disable the screensaver until a fix comes out (....if ever!)

Cheers

Agg
    Hey Agg, just out of curiosity what mp3 player are you using? I use PocketMusic and don't have the skipping issue when the screen saver is on. That would drive me crazy!
    I read this in a review somewhere, but only happens in native app?
  4.    #4  
    I am just using the native media player that the device came with (Windows Media Player). Is this right, the slight skip every minute when the clock screen saver is on only happens with Windows Media Player?

If this is the case, can someone recomend a good third party player please.

I only really want it for playing mp3 files, i.e. I'm not bothered about watching vidoes or streaming audio or video from the web, so I don't really want to get one of the top end, fully functional, "all types of media" player. Just something that makes mp3's sound good!

Cheers

Agg
    Quote Originally Posted by cglaguna View Post
    I read this in a review somewhere, but only happens in native app?
    Happens also in Pocket Tunes.
    I have disabled the screensaver for the moment and wait / hope for a fix.
    Global Posts
    221 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sansnil View Post
    Hey Agg, just out of curiosity what mp3 player are you using? I use PocketMusic and don't have the skipping issue when the screen saver is on. That would drive me crazy!
    Crap, my apologies I realized that I normally have my Garmin running in the car when I'm also listening to mp3's and of course the Garmin keeps the screensaver off. I just tested and I do get the 1 min screen saver hiccup.

That's a new official bug I would say.
    Quote Originally Posted by sansnil View Post
    Sansnil, does your treo's keyboard still work while while running pocketmusic player? I just installed version 5.1 anf love the program but for the life of me cannot figure out how to keep the keyboard from being locked out.

Also, i assume the program doesnt fit your screen properly either?

thanks
    Global Posts
    221 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lecture3waves View Post
    Sansnil, does your treo's keyboard still work while while running pocketmusic player? I just installed version 5.1 anf love the program but for the life of me cannot figure out how to keep the keyboard from being locked out.

Also, i assume the program doesnt fit your screen properly either?

thanks
    Oh that one got me when I first got it. There's a couple places to check. First on the skin of the player make sure the "lock" isn't enabled. Then in settings go to "Player Options" then the "Power" tab. Make sure the "Automatically lock hardware buttons" option is unchecked or else it will lock again. While you're there if you change the 'Automatically turn off display' to never the screen saver won't come on with it's 1 minute skip bug. The backlight will still dim to save a little power if you have that setting enabled for your phone.
    wow, I can't believe I missed that little lock icon on the skin! I appreciate your help. Thanks for the 1 minute skip bug tip too!
    i too am getting bugged out by this problem, anyone out there can fix this?
    its one of the few things that bothers me, right now i just leave my screen on
  11. JwY
    I hope Palm is aware of it.
    Global Posts
    221 Global Posts
    If you haven't already, I would go the Palm' support site and email or post in the support forums and complain about it. The more they hear about it, the more likely they are to do something about it given past experience.
    for the orginal post.

on most portable devices with a LCD screen and backlight the screen will consume about 33% of the power used for the device. That's a rough estimate used in most cell phones and notebooks. Obviously with lower brightness and different screen sizes your consumption will vary. So basically you will notice "about" 33% decrease in power consumption with the screen off.