1. hjt
    I've tested 3 search applications to find a name in 805 contacts:

RESULTS
    Inbuilt Search : 1 min
    AgendaOne Search : 1 min
    Pocket Informant Search : 5 seconds

I was a bit surprised by this as I was trialling AgendaOne and PocketInformant and was going to buy AgendaOne as it's more like Datebk6 which I'm used to.

Anyone else having problems with Search?
    Did you look at the Menu|SearchType in the search view of AgendaOne, you can choose between Search-All-Items and AppointmentsOnly, TasksOnly and ContactsOnly. Selecting that last one will surely speed up things...

The question is if PI search looks in all fields or just the name field.
    Click here for more Treo Pro Tricks
  3. hjt
    I made sure that all searches were on Contacts only.

I've done another search and PI brings back less results. It seems it only checks the main fields - Name, Numbers, Address - not sure what else.

As this is the case I can do normal searches from the built-in phone search app and then use AgendaOne for more detailed searches.
    Global Posts
    514 Global Posts
    I've only about 600 contacts but I've tried searches on names just using Option-Shift and it brings up the results more or less instantaneously (certainly not more than a second). It brings up ocurrences of the name in surnames, forenames, even within addresses.
  5. hjt
    My contacts have quite a lot of notes data in them too - probably why it's slow on my device.
    Quote Originally Posted by hjt View Post
    My contacts have quite a lot of notes data in them too - probably why it's slow on my device.

you are not the only one and I don't think contacts notes is the good culprit. My contacts just came from palm os and the speed in Treo Pro is intolerable.
  7. hjt
    The same search takes about 7 seconds on my 650 and it's searching all the fields....

Win Mobile!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by hjt View Post
    The same search takes about 7 seconds on my 650 and it's searching all the fields....

Win Mobile!!!

7 seconds on your 650? Is your 650 broken? Only treo pro could take such long time.
  9. hjt
    On my 650 I'm using FindHack not the built-in search.

I'm going to have to live with the search times on the Treo Pro until someone brings out a better search application where you can specify which fields to search. Unless someone knows one out there already...
    Global Posts
    514 Global Posts
    After a bit more testing (searching 'All data'), the Pro seems to take longer the more instances it finds.

If there's only one or two results, it seems to take a second or two. A search for a more common text string brought up 12 occurrences and took around 10 seconds. Bafflingly, if I changed the 'Type' to 'Notes', it took exactly the same length of time and produced exactly the same results, even though most of them a) didn't have notes attached and b) when they did, didn't have that text string in the note.

And the search is soooo much better than my damned 650 where you only got one page at a time (about 8 items). If you wanted to see more, you had to click 'Find more' but then you couldn't go back to look at the previous list, you had to start the search over again! And if you clicked on one item and found it wasn't the one you wanted and wanted to check another one, could you return to the search? No, once again, you had to run it over again.