1.    #1  
    Not sure when this came out exactly and I haven't seen anyone else mention it on here, but Sling Player Mobile 1.6 has been released and is available at: http://downloads.slingmedia.com/get/spm-ppc-us.html

Not sure yet if this addresses the issues with the 800w as I have downloaded and installed it on my phone but am having some unrelated connection problems with my Solo right now. Has anyone else seen the new version or tried it yet?
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    give me a sec I will go get my phone
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    I just went and got my phone and hit the update in slingplayer. I have the current version, which someone mentioned they had an update about 1 or 2 weeks ago. This however does not fix the issues with the 800w, so sad but true.
    Sling is just one more bit of functionality I lost when "upgrading" to the Treo 800W.

along with:
    - GPS
    - Audible
    - 3.5mm headset output
    - reliable POP e-mail

basically all of my most-used applications.
    Quote Originally Posted by socomon View Post
    Sling is just one more bit of functionality I lost when "upgrading" to the Treo 800W.
    Or rather, Sling has been way behind on making their software compatible, while competing devices are working OK on the 800w. Sling claimed they were going to provide an update to make their software Treo 800w compatible, Sling is to blame. Sling needs to keep up with releases of new devices better. Sling is behind and their competitors are doing better.

along with:
    - GPS
    Just curious, since you mentioned GPS is something you lost when upgrading to the 800w, what were you using before?

- Audible
    What's been your problem with it? I've only tried Audible through Kinoma Play, but it's working fine. So Audible functionality is not loss in using the Treo 800w.

- 3.5mm headset output
    Have you considered the Jabra BT3030? It takes a BT signal from the Treo 800w and has a 3.5mm jack for output of the audio. Most who have used the BT3030 with Hannip's utility (which is great for any sort of stereo BT audio) report it works very well.

It's not as if there are absolutely no options available for quality audio with devices that use a 3.5mm jack.

Yes Palm not making a 3.5mm adapter is a bit of a disappointment, but there are other options. Because what Palm didn't make an adapter for Jabra has made one for. You knew when you purchased the 800w, that it didn't have a 3.5mm jack, so you knew up front you'd need an intermediary device of some sort.

- reliable POP e-mail
    I've been able to pull mail without any problems, but I know some have mentioned they had various e-mail experiences based on their needs. Some have mentioned that if they had issues going to Flexmail worked for them. Have you tried Flexmail?
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post
    I've only tried Audible through Kinoma Play, but it's working fine. So Audible functionality is not loss in using the Treo 800w.
    For other Audible customers following this, note that Kinoma FreePlay (which is free) also has full Audible support.

-- Charles Wiltgen
    Kinoma Notes blog | Subscribe to blog (email) | Subscribe to blog (RSS) | Follow Kinoma for news/content alerts | Follow KinomaTips for tips/tricks
    Global Posts
    566 Global Posts
    Does Kinoma Player EX (e.g. on the PalmOS) also support Audible?

Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by STBXXL View Post
    Does Kinoma Player EX (e.g. on the PalmOS) also support Audible?
    It does not.

-- Charles Wiltgen
    Kinoma Notes blog | Subscribe to blog (email) | Subscribe to blog (RSS) | Follow Kinoma for news/content alerts | Follow KinomaTips for tips/tricks
    Pop e-mail does not send reliably from the Treo 800W.

Audible player's software is not compatible with the 800W's resolution.

I was using TomTom previously. It will work on the 800W only if you jump through a bunch of hoops. You are well aware of the limitations of the Treo 800Ws built-in GPS receiver. I don't need to re-hash it here.

We have discussed the shortfalls of using the BT3030 for my application in other threads. I don't need to rehash it here.

I'm not going to debate you. This thing is a **** sandwhich. I have used enough Treos over enough years to know the difference.
    Quote Originally Posted by socomon View Post
    Pop e-mail does not send reliably from the Treo 800W.
    Can't say I've had any issues sending mail myself. But have you looked into Flexmail at all?

Audible player's software is not compatible with the 800W's resolution.
    So than Audible has neglected to make a skin for a superior screen resolution. I hope you don't blame Palm for making the screen better than in some of their earlier devices. Of course if Audible's player software does not work for the 800w, it won't work on the Treo Pro's 320 X 320 resolution screen either. And it won't work for all the other new devices with 320 X 320 screens. (I'm sure the folks at Audible will release a newer version of their software in time, to keep up with new technology.)

Kinoma FreePlay works with Audible. I am able to stream and/or download anything in my Audible.com account using Kinoma. (I'm using Kinoma Play, but Charles mentioned the free version works with Audible too.) Is there some reason this is not a suitable option for you?

I was using TomTom previously. It will work on the 800W only if you jump through a bunch of hoops. You are well aware of the limitations of the Treo 800Ws built-in GPS receiver. I don't need to re-hash it here.
    But what device were you using before the Treo 800w?

We have discussed the shortfalls of using the BT3030 for my application in other threads. I don't need to rehash it here.
    I'm sorry, if I've seen you mention those I forgot and if you don't mind, if you could provide a link to your prior comments I'd appreciate it. So many have been able to make good use of the BT3030, but if it's not a workable option for you, I would like to read the details given you've posted them before. I either missed or forgot. If I forgot, I apologize for not being able to recall what you said already.

I'm not going to debate you.
    I'm not trying to debate you either. I'm trying to offer you solutions. You already tried to take yours back and was denied the ability to return it although the GPS is in my opinion defective. I don't feel you were treated fairly. I feel you and others desiring to return the Treo 800w because of GPS issues should be able to invoke the 1 year warranty, never mind 30 days, the GPS does not work as a true stand alone GPS from what I see.

This thing is a **** sandwhich. I have used enough Treos over enough years to know the difference.
    I totally disagree with you there. I've had Treos before the 800w and even the Visor Prism when HandSpring was around and the Treo is a spin of the old Visor phone. At the time of its release, the Treo 800w was the best Palm had to offer. With Sprint, the Treo 800w is still the best there is in my opinion. (I do prefer the 800w to the Treo Pro, but I fully understand saying the Treo Pro is a superior device in general terms although the Treo Pro not my personal preference.)
    Global Posts
    983 Global Posts
    When is Sling coming out with a update software so we can use it on the 800w?
    I think Sling wants us to buy one of their competitor's products for Christmas .
    Global Posts
    347 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post
    I think Sling wants us to buy one of their competitor's products for Christmas .
    Stepping up to support another companies profits: now THATS the Christmas spirit!
    Devices used: Palm VIIx - Tungsten T - Tungsten T3 - HP ipaq 4155 - Tungsten T5 - BB 7520 - Treo 650 - Treo 700wx - Treo 755p - Q9c - BB 8130 - Treo 800w - HTC Touch Pro - BB 8330 - BB 8520 - HTC HD2 - Palm Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by chong67 View Post
    When is Sling coming out with a update software so we can use it on the 800w?
    End of the year.