1.    #1  
    So I got the paid version of Kinoma Play today and I don't know if it was in the Free version, but I noticed a bandwidth tester in the network settings [Settings Tab -> Network]. It appears to give me a figure far different from when I check device bandwidth at http://www.dslreports.com/mspeed

I guess anyone with Kinoma Play can test the 2 and see for yourself.

I'm on my sync cable at the moment. After a soft reset, to ensure things are clear. (Well not too clear, I didn't do a hard reset and only install Kinoma Play.)
    DSL Reports bandwidth check shows: 1301 kbit/sec
    (IE shut down via task manager after testing above.)
    Kinoma Play bandwidth check shows: 5058...

And at other times I've seen results where Kinoma Play was showing what DSL reports shows above and in those tests DSL reports was showing values in the 700kbit/sec range.

Does anyone know which test is more reliable?
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post

Does anyone know which test is more reliable?
    I never looked at the numbers in Kinoma, but "5058" (without knowing what the rest is) is impossible on EV RevA.

RevA can only do "bursts" of 2mbps with sustained speeds (the important number here) ~1.2mpbs on the ideal high end. Most people will see between 700kbps and probably ~1mbps IRL.

Edit: Testing my connection in 0-1 bar setting (very poor reception) Kinoma is reporting ~400kbps which is spot on

Edit II: DSLReports will be more accurate since it's averaging the speed over usually a 1mb file (large file), which gives a more detailed analysis. Trade off is it takes longer. Kinoma probably uses a quicky test (a good thing), which is why it'll vary so much more.
    Last edited by Malatesta; 10/15/2008 at 06:06 PM.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    So how is the paid version? I want to get it but the free version is such a huge file when running. It shows 25.9M in the task manager. With the full version its got to be even larger. It must eat battery even more.
    Check the task manager when in use and post the number/percentage.
    Quote Originally Posted by VibrantRedGT View Post
    So how is the paid version? I want to get it but the free version is such a huge file when running. It shows 25.9M in the task manager. With the full version its got to be even larger. It must eat battery even more.
    Check the task manager when in use and post the number/percentage.
    25.9M?!

Running the paid version I'm using 7.64mb of memory and that's pretty regular.

btw, love the paid version and bought 5 mins after using the free one

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
  5.    #5  
    Malatesta - Keep in mind, I was on my sync cable when testing, so it was hooked to my cable connection. USB 2.0 cable speeds and the cable connection speed would need to be considered. So the Kinoma number could be accurate. Perhaps Pocket IE has some speed limitations that Kinoma does not have? Just a thought.

VibrantRedGT - Get the paid version. I used the free version for weeks before upgrading just today. I have to say, I don't think the details on Kinoma's site give many of the details of the benefits of the paid version.

I'm streaming a Shoutcast station in Kinoma Play right now and Task Manager is showing 7.26M. It started at 7.07M and went up a little in the first minute or 2 and stopped at a steady 7.26M.
  6.    #6  
    And with Kinoma Freeplay, I found that on one of my CDs a track would never show in the album listing, as if the search feature never picked it up. Problem solved once I got Kinoma Play, the paid for version.
    Ok, Im going to purchase it. Looks really good. The Lite version is very limited. I have some really cool movies like The Dark Night, Hancock, Harold and Kumar but won't play on the Lite version.
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    25.9M?! Running the paid version I'm using 7.64mb of memory and that's pretty regular.
    7.64 MB is pretty typical. FWIW, I've never heard reports of Kinoma Play using anything much above that.

VibrantRedGT: Battery life is related to CPU and radio use, but not RAM use in cases that I'm aware of. In fact, using RAM to cache data, etc. can help cut down on CPU and radio use, which in turn saves battery life.

...I was on my sync cable when testing, so it was hooked to my cable connection.
    5,058 kbps is definitely possible for that scenario.

...with Kinoma Freeplay, I found that on one of my CDs a track would never show in the album listing, as if the search feature never picked it up. Problem solved once I got Kinoma Play, the paid for version.
    I can't explain that one. Kinoma Play shares that functionality with Kinoma FreePlay, so if anyone else sees behavior like that we'd definitely like to know.

Quote Originally Posted by VibrantRedGT View Post
    I have some really cool movies like The Dark Night, Hancock, Harold and Kumar but won't play on the Lite version.
    Kinoma FreePlay is limited to Flash Video (FLV), since all other video codecs require licensing fees to distribute.

-- Charles Wiltgen
    Kinoma Notes blog | Subscribe to blog (email) | Subscribe to blog (RSS) | Follow Kinoma for news/content alerts | Follow KinomaTips for tips/tricks
  9.    #9  
    Hi Charles,

Yea I thought a CD track missing in FreePlay was kind of odd, but I was already planning to purchase anyway and figured perhaps it was intended behavior for the free version. I guess if I was still using the free version I'd help you figure it out .

It was a short track (1 minute 46 seconds) at the start of a CD, it's very first track. I did not notice the issue with any other CDs. But I only have one CD loaded that has a short first track. All my CDs are on the storage card in MP3 format.

That CD with the issue on FreePlay as I mentioned works fine with the paid version.
    My mistake on the 25.9M file size. It might have been Dashwire because I could not repeat it again. Will take a screen shot if I see it.