Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I didnít see this posted anywhere so I wanted to share that I have iGo8 working on my Treo Pro (via On Course Navigator 8). I am not running real vga or anything special. I ordered the 8GB card last week, plugged it in and it worked right out of the box.

-D
    Thanks for your input. I have a question, did you have to reconfigure anything?

I loaded this thing into my device and it is stuck in landscape mode and in 320 x 240.

Is there a way to change it??? (other then that, it works perfectly).

Thanks
    My Modern Theory Of Natural Selection: Anyone dumb enough to do something stupid deserves the consequences... Stupidity is an active choice.

Treo 650------Treo Pro (Oct 08)
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cpt_Chaos View Post
    Thanks for your input. I have a question, did you have to reconfigure anything?

I loaded this thing into my device and it is stuck in landscape mode and in 320 x 240.

Is there a way to change it??? (other then that, it works perfectly).

Thanks
    I did nothing... I inserted the card, it asked to install? I clicked yes and it launched and ran. I was not sure it would work as the site did not list the pro as a supported device. However they did list the i780 so I took the chance and it paid off

-D
    So I have to say that I finally see what you mean. I finally got IGo8 to work on the Pro and it is really fantastic. I have to say that the GPS function is really awesome.

Rock on Pro + IGo
    My Modern Theory Of Natural Selection: Anyone dumb enough to do something stupid deserves the consequences... Stupidity is an active choice.

Is there a way to get the 2gb version and transfer it to my already existing 8gb card? I'd love to get it at $75 but that's my only caveat.
    It shouldnt be a problem. I bought the Europe version with some extra maps and it all fit quite nicely on my 8GB card and then I loaded it into the phone and the rest was easy magic. I have no problems with it.

I had some installation issues in the beginning, but it was because I am learning WM (came from an old Treo 650), so I had some small issues. but now its working fantastically and it works like a charm.

Whats the difference with the above program and TeleNav? also price, etc. I'm still with-in my first month with TeleNav, so I can still cancel. I really do not go anywhere. My car is four years old and has only 15k on it. So, would it be good for me or should I just stay with free programs like LiveSearch and Google?
    Hi NewTreoProUser27

To be honest I am not sure what the difference is. I am definitely no expert for Navi programs. I just know IGo8 because of a friend of mine and I have a little experience with TomTom but that's it.

Google maps is great and comes built into the Pro but it doesnt give you the voiceguided directions or many other functions such as TMC, etc. Google Maps in my opinion is great for when you want to find out where you are or the basics of getting somewhere, but for detailed navigation directions you need a good program such as TomTom or IGo8, etc.

If you dont drive so much or are going to too many new places, then I think Google Maps is enough, but if you want to do more or have the blow by blow features plus a lot more then upgrade.

I hope that helps.

Does it have a monthly price?
    Gotta love technology... you blink and everything changes.
    Quote Originally Posted by NewTreoProUser27 View Post
    Does it have a monthly price?
    Telenav = monthly subscription, and no maps are stored locally (besides to cache) as they are downloaded OTA as you need them, similar to how Google Maps or WLS downloads maps.

iGo, TomTom, Garmin XT = full navigation software + maps that are stored on your device/memory card, usually 1-2gb of space required for all maps. These are usually a one time fee. Right now, the iGo 8 is only $60 at buygpsnow.com for the 2gb card. Great deal, but given that it appears that you can't swap cards, the 8gb version is a whopping $115 - making the card itself about $55, which is $30 more than I paid for my current 8gb card.
    I see on OCN's website, they are making the text-to-speech function available to devices with 128MB RAM.

Has anyone tried it yet? Is there any other GPS app for smartphones that does TTS on the market?
    Global Posts
    443 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by furiousyellow View Post
    I see on OCN's website, they are making the text-to-speech function available to devices with 128MB RAM.

Has anyone tried it yet? Is there any other GPS app for smartphones that does TTS on the market?
    iGuidance have the TTS. I had it on my t750, it worked quite well. Not as pretty interface as iGo or tomtom but its usable. haven't tried it on pro yet.
    Global Posts
    514 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetluva View Post
    Telenav = monthly subscription, and no maps are stored locally (besides to cache) as they are downloaded OTA as you need them, similar to how Google Maps or WLS downloads maps.

iGo, TomTom, Garmin XT = full navigation software + maps that are stored on your device/memory card, usually 1-2gb of space required for all maps. These are usually a one time fee. Right now, the iGo 8 is only $60 at buygpsnow.com for the 2gb card. Great deal, but given that it appears that you can't swap cards, the 8gb version is a whopping $115 - making the card itself about $55, which is $30 more than I paid for my current 8gb card.
    Looks as though Garmin XT only comes on a 2gb microSD card, too, and I really don't want to start swapping cards in and out just to use the satnav.

Would I be right in thinking that TT Navigator is the only 'self-contained' (ie stored locally) satnav that will enable you to install from a DVD?
    It looks like a good program.

I am trying TeleNav right now that came with the phone, on a 30 trial. It's a nice program too. What I don't like is you have to rent/lease it for $10 a month or $99 a year.
    This thread answers a question I have been asking on the GPS thread. It seems if I read correctly you cannot copy a Tom Tom or Garmin sd card to an existing sd card. That really is too bad. No way I would swap sd cards like that. Bummer!
  16.    #16  
    Yeah... That is why i went with the 8GB On Course Navigtor (iGo 8) card. I would consider Garmin but 2 GB is not big enough.

-D
    I don't understand why you couldn't just copy the GPS card onto the existing card and run it. Is it possible?
    Quote Originally Posted by azlarry View Post
    I don't understand why you couldn't just copy the GPS card onto the existing card and run it. Is it possible?
    Searching various GPS software sites, it sounds like they use some form of copy protection that, if circumvented, will render the software unusable. I'm sure there are hackers out there who already have ways of dealing with that. But, for most of us, it's the old adage that locks are made mostly to make sure the innocent decide to stay that way. ;-) Too bad. I invested in a 16 gig card that I want to keep in my phone.

Bill
  19.    #19  
    The are copy protected... However, if you look around you can find ways around it. I am happy to pay for a copy ( which I did) but i think you should be able to transfer them to a larger card.
    Quote Originally Posted by CrozB View Post
    I am happy to pay for a copy ( which I did) but i think you should be able to transfer them to a larger card.
    Perhaps if you (and enough others) ask Garmin, they may provide the necessary card unlock key, for those who purchase Garmin Mobile XT on 2GB microSD but want to transfer it to a 8GB+ microSD.

In my neck of the woods Garmin Mobile XT (and compatible) is the way to go for GPS navigation due to availability of free hobbyist updated Garmin compatible maps (more updated than Google Maps etc, though coverage area in the outskirts is a bit less). I'm using Garmin Nuvi 205W for that. Quite likely I will live with Google Maps on my Treo Pro since I have unlimited data plan.

No iGo8 maps at all around here.
    regards, sabre23t =^.^=
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast