1.    #1  
    I currently have an Treo 750 with AT&T.

As of today, I have been experiencing problems with my Gmail account being pushed to my phone and it has about driven me over the edge.

Here are my questions:

Can you setup a gmail, outlook, and hotmail account without having to go through a bunch of extra b.s. and downloading apps to make email (i.e. Windows Live) work correctly?

Is the reception better than the Treo 750 (for those on AT&T)?

Are there any other major upgrades that make it work $550 to upgrade from a Treo 750?

In your opinion...overall is it really worth $550 ?

Thanks!
    I was impressed with the 750 reception.
    I'm still trying to decide if the Pro is better, worse, or the same.
    Windows Live is included, so you don't need extra apps for that.

Outlook/gmail can be set up to poll the pop3-server every X minutes, but that's pulling, not pushing ;-)
    Click here for more Treo Pro Tricks
    I had a 750. I'd say the reception is about the same on the Pro, maybe a bit better than on the 750. The in-call volume though is much better on my Pro.

In terms of whether it is worth the upgrade, that of course depends on what you value. Here is a list of the siginificant feature upgrades:

- 1.3 MP camera to 2 MP camera
    - 240x240 screen to 320x320 screen
    - 64 MB RAM to 128 MB RAM
    - 312 Mhz processor to 400 Mhz processer
    - 128 MB flash memory to 256 MB (60 user accesable to 100 user accessable)
    - Built-in WiFi
    - Built-in stand alone GPS
    - Weight reduced 165 grams to 130 grams
    - Thickness reduced from 22 mm to about 14 mm
    - Biggger battery up to 1500 ma from 1200 ma (good thing with GPS and Wi-Fi)
    - Flush touchscreen (easier to use ginger instead of stylus, for example)

Here is a list of things that are no better or worse, just different and may be personal preference:

- No WM softkeys, but instead extra hardware keys for calendar and messaging. This was possible because of the flush screen. I was nervous about this, but tapping the screen softkey came second nature in a few days.

- WM 6.1 threaded SMS instead of Palm SMS. Some really miss Palm's version, while some others (including me) actually prefer the integrated WM 6.1 version

- Rubberized back replaced by slick black gloss back. Looks great, but is slippery and hold fingerprints

- Different connector. now a micro-USB such as the motoral H12 BT headset uses

- Mini-SD replaced with micro-SD (necessary, as micro is continuing to grow while mini is dying)

- KB spacing/shape is half way between the 750 and the Centro. I got used to it quickly (I have average hands). Many people with smaller hands prefer the Pro, but those with bigger hands often prefer the larger spacing on the 750

Of course there are lots of other little differences. The only disadvantage of the 320x320 resolution is not all apps are compatible yet. most of the popular programs are compatible, but two exceptions are:

1) Many games (but some are OK)

2) Sling player does not support 320x320 yet. I can watch it, but only in a corner of the screen

So ask yourself if the features I mentioned are worth the upgrade for you or not.
    Last edited by levinda; 10/15/2008 at 05:20 PM. Reason: More info
    Daniel Levin
    levinda13@sbcglobal.net
    Neither the 750 nor the Pro does push mail. As mentioned above, both can poll every X minutes.

There's a very simple wizard for setting up Hotmail and Gmail accounts.

My Pro gets better reception in a couple of places that my 750 struggled to get reception.

Only you can decide if it's worth it. The increased resolution is VERY nice. Wifi and GPS are also nice.
    Atlas Just Shrugged!
    Quote Originally Posted by convbcuda View Post
    Neither the 750 nor the Pro does push mail. As mentioned above, both can poll every X minutes.

There's a very simple wizard for setting up Hotmail and Gmail accounts.

My Pro gets better reception in a couple of places that my 750 struggled to get reception.

Only you can decide if it's worth it. The increased resolution is VERY nice. Wifi and GPS are also nice.
    You can do push email if you use a MS Exchange server. You can get a hosted Exchange server on the web for less than $10 per month if that is important to you. You can not do "true" push with gmail for example.
    Daniel Levin
    levinda13@sbcglobal.net
    Global Posts
    984 Global Posts
    I also upgraded from a 750 to a Pro. My opinion pretty much matches that of Daniel Levin above. The phone reception is at least as good as the 750, if not a bit better. The only issue I have is the slippery (and smudge/scratch magnet) back, which I will resolve with an InvisibleShield once it ships. (Have one on my 750 and love it.)

I will also note that the Pro synchronizes with my PC more reliably than the 750 did, though generally the 750 was fine. The Pro just "feels" like a more modern device.
    I experience programs opening up on my 750; I think the screen hits my cheek while using. Does anyone experience this with the Pro?
    Global Posts
    984 Global Posts
    This is why there's a screen lock option on both devices. Some people have a problem with this, some don't. I like the way the Pro handles this better in that the indication on screen that it is locked is clearer and it's easy to unlock.
    I LOVE the 320x320 resolution. SlingPlayer will need to be updated, and knowing SlingMedia, that might take a while.

SEVEN doesn't work very well, although it is VERY good at pushing Windows Live/Hotmail, which happens to be my main account. Pushing AOL works so-so (i.e. not as fast at pushing the emails as Windows Live), and Gmail doesn't push at all. And you do NOT need an Exchange account! (see my thread about SEVEN)

The integrated tethering app works flawlessly, and I am also still trying to figure out if the signal strength is as good as the Treo 750, as someone else said. I don't think it's better, and I have experienced a few dropped calls.

Then again, I've had 90-minute conversations without any hiccups. It's too early to tell. Voice quality is great.

Bluetooth setup has become very simple. For example, you no longer any need to have a passcode if that bothers you on the 750. Switching between the handset, speakerphone and Bluetooth is seamless

Obviously, it's great to have TRUE GPS, as well as WiFi. The camera is a bit better. Unfortunately, there is no flash.

Overall, I like the Pro a lot.
    Treo Pro | Blackberry Bold OS 4.6.0.167 | Slingbox PRO-HD | Plantronics 665 Bluetooth

Internet Sharing tethering app --> Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by levinda View Post
    You can do push email if you use a MS Exchange server. You can get a hosted Exchange server on the web for less than $10 per month if that is important to you. You can not do "true" push with gmail for example.
    I was only thinking of the accounts that the OP mentioned. You are correct about the MS Exchange option, of course.
    Atlas Just Shrugged!
    In addition to the above advantages IMO I find it handles programs faster, ie faster to load and closes quicker
    regards, Bill
    Mobile Tech. Support Consultant

Device/Gadget History
    3comm palm pilot pro->palm 505m->Tungsten e2->Treo650(sold)->Treo680->O2 XDA Stealth (sold)->Treo 500 ->Treo750v -> Treo Pro
    Optus Singtel Pty Ltd (c)
    Anyone using mail2web??

After re-installing a bunch of apps, I find that using SEVEN, and without(!) an Exchange account, as well as for free, DOES PUSH Gmail and AOL, but is still better at pushing Windows Live Hotmail. I haven't tried Yahoo, or me.com, as I don't use those.

Blackberry style true push remains KING of Push email. No Exchange account needed, zero configuration. Perfect.
    Treo Pro | Blackberry Bold OS 4.6.0.167 | Slingbox PRO-HD | Plantronics 665 Bluetooth

mail2web works well for me...been using it over a year
    Mike

Eph 2:8-9
    The free one, mail2web LIVE?

16. CDG
    Global Posts
    2,003 Global Posts
    I am having a very hard time deciding to upgrade to the Pro from the 750. I have probably read every thread on every forum about it. I ordered my Pro on 10/13 and cancelled it the same day.

I am not sure what my problem is, it will definitely be an upgrade from the 750. One of the problems is I really like my 750 and having a hard time parting with it, kind of strange for me since I have never had a phone longer than 10 months max.

I was just thinking of ordering the Pro....again

Maybe I am just getting old (mature)
    You prolly saw the thread titled something like "The 750 is a Great Machine."

It is!

So if you're happy with the 750, and you wait, you will only find yourself in a better and better position.
    The Pro will go down in price, the developers will get their apps compatible, and the bugs will be worked out.
  18. CDG
    Global Posts
    2,003 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    So if you're happy with the 750, and you wait, you will only find yourself in a better and better position.
    The Pro will go down in price, the developers will get their apps compatible, and the bugs will be worked out.
    Thanks but too late. I just ordered it again.

I haven't read about any major bugs, are you coming across some?
    Just the 2 official ones in scotty's thread.