Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Global Posts
    267 Global Posts
    what does these three different things have n common?

1) lets see treo pro is getting great reviews 800w not so many

2) treo pro doesn't have a US GSM ( tmo.. att.. ect)carrier as of yet if someone wants one they can buy it from palm.

3) palm doesn't really want to fix the 800w not cost efficient

4) if no one jumps on the GSM treo pro in the next few up and coming months I tink by default Sprint will get a cdma version by start or end of 1st quarter and out with our 4 month old phones will be discontinued.. Aint that about a....

this is all just hear say so don't shoot me... do research and see if any of it is true... think about all the items being developed for the pro and it aint even out as of yet...
    Palm usually has new devices for the carriers annually. I doubt the 800w replacement would be a CDMA version of the Treo Pro. I would have to think it would be a new device, as they have usually done. I'm still hoping they would make it either a 240x320 or 480x640 screen resolution.

I'm sure Palm/Sprint will continue to work on upgrades/updates, though probably not in a timely fashion like we would like it to be. The 800w is new and already 2 updates have been released.

The Treo Pro is, of course, going to get more press. It's a GSM phone, so it can be used in Europe, Asia, North America, etc. The 800w is just a mere CDMA phone, which is only carried in the US (Sprint & maybe Verizon). So I would have to assume that it would be up to the carriers to market the phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by crazie.eddie View Post
    The Treo Pro is, of course, going to get more press. It's a GSM phone, so it can be used in Europe, Asia, North America, etc. The 800w is just a mere CDMA phone, which is only carried in the US (Sprint & maybe Verizon). So I would have to assume that it would be up to the carriers to market the phone.
    Winner Winner Chicken Dinner!
    --Steve

Visor-->Treo 600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700P-->Treo 800W-->Palm Pre-->HP Touchpad

My DVD Collection
    My Media Room
    GovTwit Directory
    Twitter: @dslunceford
    I'd say trying to logically think through what Palm and carriers do is a waste of time, especially without any hint of real evidence.

Heck, the HTC Touch HD isn't even coming to the U.S. despite many clamoring for it and "rumors" of US carriers picking it up. Go figure.

Also, there is zero evidence for #4, in fact quite the opposite. When a carrier enters into an agreement with a manufacturer, ROM updates and patches are a part of that agreement, meaning if Sprint's techs/testers and then management identify "bugs" for Palm, they hand them over to Palm to fix at Sprint's request.

The decision is not really Palm's to make if Sprint identifies and asks for fixes, after all Sprint is the customer here (not you nor I). Now is Sprint's QC good enough to pick up and identify all the bugs? Probably not, but they are getting better.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    It is odd Palm released the Pro without a carrier signed up. Not sure but might be a first for them.

I would be all over the Pro if it came to Sprint. As much as the 800 guys would like to admit it but many would jump ship for it. Hey Im an 800 owner and would be gone in a pin drop.

I really hope that this is true. This device drives me too crazy to keep it. You guys have some serious patience. I clearly do not.
    Global Posts
    720 Global Posts
    I would hope that the next Palm device on Sprint would have wimax/xohm.
    Quote Originally Posted by VibrantRedGT View Post
    It is odd Palm released the Pro without a carrier signed up. Not sure but might be a first for them.
    I can't remember but didn't they do that with the 750?

I would be all over the Pro if it came to Sprint. As much as the 800 guys would like to admit it but many would jump ship for it. Hey Im an 800 owner and would be gone in a pin drop.

I really hope that this is true. This device drives me too crazy to keep it. You guys have some serious patience. I clearly do not.
    As many people have already said, it's incredibly unlikely that Sprint would pick up a CDMA Pro.

And by the time a CDMA Pro was ready, and wouldn't directly conflict with the 800w, the Pro would be considered old news and out dated (since we're talking about a year out).

Now the Treo Pro 3G......
    Global Posts
    347 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebag333 View Post
    Now the Treo Pro 3G......
    With the 800w keyboard & "rubberized" finish(hate the centro keyboard & slick finger-print-magnet finish).....
    Devices used: Palm VIIx - Tungsten T - Tungsten T3 - HP ipaq 4155 - Tungsten T5 - BB 7520 - Treo 650 - Treo 700wx - Treo 755p - Q9c - BB 8130 - Treo 800w - HTC Touch Pro - BB 8330 - BB 8520 - HTC HD2 - Palm Pre
    Global Posts
    267 Global Posts
    well there is doubts with me as well centro is going to be 49.99 have a memory update and in green or a rose red color... new palm os is going to be based off of lynx... and the new sprint treo the treo pro if sprint moves on it its not a year from now where talkn about 3months aprox... I guess we just have to wait and see
    The Pro would be old news? Do you think the 800 was new news? For me I had come from a device with aGPS, 2MP Camera, huge screen, WM 6.1, 1590mAH battery and more. Yeah the memory sucked. Anyway I expected a lot more from Palm I guess. However I over looked it was the same looking as the 700 series and even though the feature set wasn't anything more then what I was using I chose it for Palm's quality (oh, more memory too). My 700wx was such a work horse. I thought the 800 would be a tank after 2+ years of development. I would love to get a Pro. My buddy has one and I really like it.
    Global Posts
    267 Global Posts
    no this isn't really like a new news thing it just sucks if sprint does it cause why one if u used ur upgrade and your beyond ur 30days u can't exchange it ur stuck with a old 800w that wasn't even out for a full year before it got replaced... so even if u wanted a pro u wud have to use another upgrade on another line , throw a huge fit in a retail store, or pay full retail price...
    The Pro would be old news? Do you think the 800 was new news?
    In a year (nearing 1.5 years since 800w's release, right around the 2 year cycle time that Palm and the carriers seem to like), then yes, the Treo Pro would be old news (being over a year old).

And no, the 800w is not new news, nor was it when it was released. Had it been released last year or very early this year (like it was supposed to be), it may have been, but the delays in release (which again, I'm actually glad happened) pushed it back too far for that to be true.
    Quote Originally Posted by hyphen View Post
    well there is doubts with me as well centro is going to be 49.99 have a memory update and in green or a rose red color... new palm os is going to be based off of lynx... and the new sprint treo the treo pro if sprint moves on it its not a year from now where talkn about 3months aprox... I guess we just have to wait and see
    The Treo Pro is GSM, which will be out soon. Or maybe it's already out. I don't know or care. There are no talks/rumors if a Pro verson for CDMA, especially not this soon, since the 800w is farely new to the market. Although I'm kind of new to the Treo world, 1st device was 700wx, I have been keeping my ears open for upcoming CDMA devices. I think it was maybe around 6 months or more when we even got word of a 800w. Palm doesn't follow HTC's engineering trend of coming out with a new device every 6 months or less.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebag333 View Post
    In a year (nearing 1.5 years since 800w's release, right around the 2 year cycle time that Palm and the carriers seem to like), then yes, the Treo Pro would be old news (being over a year old).

And no, the 800w is not new news, nor was it when it was released. Had it been released last year or very early this year (like it was supposed to be), it may have been, but the delays in release (which again, I'm actually glad happened) pushed it back too far for that to be true.
    It would take 1-1.5 years to make a CDMA version?
    ATT History- From 1997-2001-> Nokia 6362->Motorola StarTac->Nokia 8260.

Nextel History From 2001-2004-> Motorola i1000-> Motorola i90c-> Motorola i95cl-> Motorola i730->Motorola i850.

Sprint History From 2005 - Currently->Sanyo 5500-> Sanyo 5600-> Sanyo-> 7400->Sanyo 8300->Sanyo->7500-> Sanyo 9000->Sanyo 8400->Sanyo M1->PPC-6700->Treo 700wx->PPC-6800(Mogul)-> Motorola Q9C-> Treo 800w-> Curve->Treo 800w->Touch Pro->Treo Pro> Curve "M"->HTC Hero.
    It would take 1-1.5 years to make a CDMA version?
    it could easily take 6 months to develop a CDMA version of the Treo Pro.

Take a look at the Centro.

Quote Originally Posted by Wikipedia
    Sprint
    A ruby-red and black Centro were shown in early advertisements on Sprint's website, but when the phone launched on October 14, 2007, only the black model was available. [5] It was annotated on the phone sales page of the Sprint website that the phone would be available in red on November 4. Although there were some reports of the phone appearing early[6], they were available to everyone in most Sprint retail outlets on the scheduled November 4 release date. Pink is now available.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wikipedia
    Unlocked GSM
    On June 25th, 2008, an Unlocked GSM version of the Centro was released for use on all 850/900/1800/1900 mHz GSM telephone networks. It was released in Glacier White with grey keyboard accents.
    The Centro took just a few months shy of a year for a GSM version to be released (unlocked, even longer before AT&T picked it up).

From what I've heard, CDMA -> GSM is an easier conversion than GSM -> CDMA. I've just heard that, and have nothing to substantiate that.

(And for the record, I guessed a year for a TP CDMA release...if it ever happened. A year and a half was referring back to the 800w release. )
    Hey Im an 800 owner and would be gone in a pin drop.

Yeah,
    Everyone knows how much you hate the treo 800w
    The 800W is a big fat lemon as far as I am concerned. I can't wait to figure out what I am going to dump it in favor of. Probably my first BB.
    Quote Originally Posted by kaptainchump View Post
    Yeah,
    Everyone knows how much you hate the treo 800w
    I suppose its all my fault. If it had even decent battery life and audio quality I wouldn't complain. For the 3 devices I've owned I have been bug chasing.
    Im not asking much but Palm to support their device. They are caught up in the Pro and support for the 800 has dried up.
    OK, let's dump 800w now and jump into treo pro before it's too late! GSM is the future! Worldwide application!
    Global Posts
    267 Global Posts
    so ne one eatting crow lately?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast