Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Results 61 to 76 of 76
  1. #61  
    Quote Originally Posted by vMAC View Post
    I find it funny that you consider the 800w defective hardware because the GPS doesn't work the way you would like it too; but when people say that the PRO is too slick you claim they should go buy a invisblesheild. Well to anyone who needs standalone go buy a GPS.
    Good comparison. $10 vs $200. ROTFLMAO
  2. #62  
    Quote Originally Posted by nsxprime View Post
    Good comparison. $10 vs $200. ROTFLMAO
    It's still a valid point. And a GPS puck isn't $200. I found mine for $75.
  3. #63  
    Quote Originally Posted by vMAC View Post
    I find it funny that you consider the 800w defective hardware because the GPS doesn't work the way you would like it too; but when people say that the PRO is too slick you claim they should go buy a invisblesheild. Well to anyone who needs standalone go buy a GPS.
    this is not a valid comparison at all. The GPS doesn't work in the way it was advertised. There is no advertisement on the cases.

    And anyone who needs standalone does not need to go "buy a gps" anymore than if the mp3 were not working off network, one should answer "go get an ipod."

    I have had my account noted for replacement with touch pro or treo pro, my choice. I also went via the BBB complaint mechanism and got a offer from palm for purchase price refund, which they calculated at $500 due to the $100 instant credit. The other credits and rebates would not reduce my refund but hey won't refund the tax. I will go the Sprint route since this will likely save me $130 per handset. I will wait until a few days after the unboxing of the treo pros. I may keep one of the 800w but will replace my other two.
  4. vMAC's Avatar
    Posts
    217 Posts
    Global Posts
    219 Global Posts
    #64  
    Quote Originally Posted by nsxprime View Post
    Good comparison. $10 vs $200. ROTFLMAO
    LMAO coming from someone who in numerous posts has stated when you buy a $500+ phone you shouldn't have to go out an purchase anything extra. I guess if it's only $10 it's okay.

    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    this is not a valid comparison at all. The GPS doesn't work in the way it was advertised. There is no advertisement on the cases.
    lol you're jokoing right. So while they are advertising the phone they aren't saying that you are going to be able to hold onto the phone without it slipping out of your hands on a call? I hope that was a joke.

    And anyone who needs standalone does not need to go "buy a gps" anymore than if the mp3 were not working off network, one should answer "go get an ipod."
    I would say the same to both. It's a freaking phone that has applications that allow you to not need a dedicated advice everywhere. This is like saying that you car speaker system should be as good as your home stereo system just because BOSE advertises surround sound in your car. Or it would be like being mad at GM because your GPS built into your car doesn't work when the car isn't turned on (FYI it goes off standalone after a couple minutes with the car off also), maybe people should sue them until they advertise that it's aGPS. Since it needs the car to be powered in order to work.

    I have had my account noted for replacement with touch pro or treo pro, my choice. I also went via the BBB complaint mechanism and got a offer from palm for purchase price refund, which they calculated at $500 due to the $100 instant credit. The other credits and rebates would not reduce my refund but hey won't refund the tax. I will go the Sprint route since this will likely save me $130 per handset. I will wait until a few days after the unboxing of the treo pros. I may keep one of the 800w but will replace my other two.
    I may be getting one too, I just hope that I don't have to hear you and nsxprime complaining because the standalone doesn't work on the Treo Pro. Here's what it says exactly on their website in regards to the GPS.
    Code:
    1
    
    Within wireless coverage area only. Email and GPS require an account and data services at additional cost. GPS application not available from all carriers. Third-party software may be required. GPS coverage not available in all areas at all times. Wi-Fi within range of 802.11b/g Wi-Fi network. Some Wi-Fi hotspots require fee for usage.
  5. #65  
    Quote Originally Posted by vMAC View Post
    lol you're jokoing right. So while they are advertising the phone they aren't saying that you are going to be able to hold onto the phone without it slipping out of your hands on a call? I hope that was a joke.
    You are kidding right. I don't think you ever held one. I don't see on the many posts on the treo pro forums any such complaint. Smooth of soft plastic is not the same as a feature prominantly advertised


    Quote Originally Posted by vMAC View Post
    . Or it would be like being mad at GM because your GPS built into your car doesn't work when the car isn't turned on
    No this would be like if GM sold you a hybrid car that had no hybrid function. Or sold you a car with standalone GPS that did not function as standalone GPS unless you also paid an bought onstar each month.

    [QUOTE=vMAC;1518617]Within wireless coverage area only. Email and GPS require an account and data services at additional cost. GPS application not available from all carriers. Third-party software may be required. GPS coverage not available in all areas at all times. Wi-Fi within range of 802.11b/g Wi-Fi network. Some Wi-Fi hotspots require fee for usage.
    [/code]

    LOL, that is the aGPS and telnav, not the standalone GPS. everyone here agree that was the case months ago.
  6. #66  
    aero is right on the gps thing vMac. And you can still find indication in the description of the 800w that it's supposed to have both standalone and assisted gps. However, I've not read anywhere that this is hardware impossible. As with the Mogul and HTC, I believe that Sprint will get this issue worked out with Palm, and we will see functioning standalone gps with a ROM update. Rumor is (and emphasis is on rumor) that Palm is already working the issue. Since they've published two updates already, which is far more than we got out of the Treo 700p lifespan, I'm thinking that Palm is trying to be more responsive with the updates on the 800w.
  7. vMAC's Avatar
    Posts
    217 Posts
    Global Posts
    219 Global Posts
    #67  
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    You are kidding right. I don't think you ever held one. I don't see on the many posts on the treo pro forums any such complaint. Smooth of soft plastic is not the same as a feature prominantly advertised
    Prominently advertised? It's on the box, but I don't see them advertising people walking on a mountain and looking at their phone for GPS with the tagline wherever you go Palm has GPS built into your phone. That would be what I consider proominently; you're exaggerating. You and nsxprime really seem to be the only ones consistently bringing up this dead horse for another breath; just let it die. Most people don't care or will buy another phone.

    No this would be like if GM sold you a hybrid car that had no hybrid function.
    Really this is as big a deal as hybrid functionality in your car? Besides you and nsxprime I don't know anyone else that considered GPS a number 1 reason for purchasing this phone. People buy hybrid cars because they are hybrid, I don't know anyone who bought a the 800w purely because they needed a phone and Standalone GPS.
    Or sold you a car with standalone GPS that did not function as standalone GPS unless you also paid an bought onstar each month.
    LOL no my first analogy was spot on. Nsx and you would consider GM's GPS as "defective hardware" because it requires the car to be turned on for you to use it. Just as the 800w requires you to have the phone turned on to use it. It seems though that you seen how crazy that is, so now you start exaggerating again. lol funny.
  8. #68  
    The Treo Pro has already been confirmed to have fully-functional GPS and Palm has agreed to buy back 800w's because of the defective GPS.
  9. #69  
    Quote Originally Posted by nsxprime View Post
    The Treo Pro has already been confirmed to have fully-functional GPS and Palm has agreed to buy back 800w's because of the defective GPS.
    Where on Palm's site do they make this statement? So, they are buying back all 800w's? Kind of hard to believe....
    Sprint 600 - 650 - 755 - Mogul - 700Wx - Centro - 800W & iPhone
  10. #70  
    Quote Originally Posted by vMAC View Post
    Prominently advertised? It's on the box, but I don't see them advertising people walking on a mountain and looking at their phone for GPS with the tagline wherever you go Palm has GPS built into your phone. That would be what I consider proominently; you're exaggerating.
    Oh and on the brochure, oh and on the feature list, oh and on the spec sheet, and at the top all of those. hmm.

    oh and GPS works on mountains and on the 95% of the planet that is not covered by Sprint, that is exactly what Standalone GPS does. (duh)

    You keep being corrected for your factual and logical errors by other users and blame me?

    Why are you putting "defective hardware" in quotes? Do you believe it is defective because you are not quoting me? I think the most likely constant that killed this highly promoted feature was legal.

    What is making people see your view as silly is the silly analogies you are using. Users here are calling you out on that, that is no ones fault but your own.
  11. #71  
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnH59 View Post
    Where on Palm's site do they make this statement? So, they are buying back all 800w's? Kind of hard to believe....
    No not all. But they have made that offer to users who make a specific complaint and bring to BBB.
  12. #72  
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    No not all. But they have made that offer to users who make a specific complaint and bring to BBB.
    Do you have first hand knowledge of this, or is this just another endless rumor?
  13. #73  
    Quote Originally Posted by JackG058 View Post
    Do you have first hand knowledge of this, or is this just another endless rumor?
    Searching does the body good.
  14. #74  
    Quote Originally Posted by nsxprime View Post
    Searching does the body good.
    You brought it up that Palm was buying back 800w's. Why not show the countless ones being bought back. I have heard of one here at Treocentral that mentioned BBB and getting his 800w bought back. One other said he had a corporate account with like 130 that Palm, or Sprint, was going to trade out with the Treo Pro. I have not heard, or read, that Palm was buying back huge numbers of 800w's. I'm not saying you said those words. But your earlier post certainly implied as much.
    Sprint 600 - 650 - 755 - Mogul - 700Wx - Centro - 800W & iPhone
  15. #75  
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnH59 View Post
    One other said he had a corporate account with like 130 that Palm, or Sprint, was going to trade out with the Treo Pro.
    IIRC that person was told that would happen this month, which would indicate that it's the Touch Pro, not the Treo Pro.

    And that's a choice by Sprint, who will often swap out devices for you much later after you get them if you can give them good enough reason. My mom had her Mogul for a year, and then got it swapped for a myriad of phones (about 4 of them that she "test drove" for about 3 months) to settle on the 700wx. No charge for the swaps (Sprint even paid shipping to her, she had to pay shipping back), despite the fact that she was far out of her 30 days.


    As far as the one BBB complaint, it's likely Palm offered to buy it back just to get rid of the complaint. The BBB is not a regulatory committee, so buying back the phone (in and of itself) does not mean Palm is admitting any fault or taking any liability, merely dealing with a disgruntled customer.
  16. #76  
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebag333 View Post
    IIRC that person was told that would happen this month, which would indicate that it's the Touch Pro, not the Treo Pro.

    And that's a choice by Sprint, who will often swap out devices for you much later after you get them if you can give them good enough reason. My mom had her Mogul for a year, and then got it swapped for a myriad of phones (about 4 of them that she "test drove" for about 3 months) to settle on the 700wx. No charge for the swaps (Sprint even paid shipping to her, she had to pay shipping back), despite the fact that she was far out of her 30 days.


    As far as the one BBB complaint, it's likely Palm offered to buy it back just to get rid of the complaint. The BBB is not a regulatory committee, so buying back the phone (in and of itself) does not mean Palm is admitting any fault or taking any liability, merely dealing with a disgruntled customer.
    Good points Ebag333. There is a big difference between the Treo Pro and Touch Pro. The Touch Pro is the follow up to the Mogul. My nephew has just purchased one as an upgrade from his Mogul. And, he is seriously thinking of going back to the Mogul. I asked him why, because the new Touch Pro really looks nice. However, it seems that the keyboard is a bit different than what the Mogul had, and he doesn't like it as much. He was happy with his Mogul, now that he has a good, cooked ROM on it, but he wanted the latest and greatest. Just goes to show you though that we can find something about every phone out there that we don't like or wish was different. There is no perfect phone.

    Also for Sprint to do these swap outs does show that they are trying hard to win back customer satisfaction. Their J.D. Power scores indicate that they are having some success. Good for Sprint. I believe they will get Palm to make the few issues with the 800w right, provided that there is no hardware reason to prevent these things from being taken care of with a good, old fashioned ROM update.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Posting Permissions