Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by hyphen View Post
    so ne one eatting crow lately?
    Not yet. There's a big difference between a device showing up on DSL Reports and it being released.

For what it's worth, I hope the Pro is released soon. I don't expect it to be, but then again I'm happy with my 800w.
    Global Posts
    267 Global Posts
    ebag if it doesn't ill b shocked so shocked I wud bet someone $50 if it doesn't ( I accept paypal)... for many reasons read the post I made in the 700w thread when I wrote about the 800w...
    Palm has a history of delays and long periods, but then again HTC doesn't. So that aspect is a toss up. But generally speaking with the market being competitive, with palm having been given a beating on market share in the last couple of years, and with time to market and life on market shortening on all consumer electronics speculation of sooner rather than later isn't of base. I'd bet first quarter 09, but that is a guess
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    Palm has a history of delays and long periods, but then again HTC doesn't.
    That's not entirely true (or fair). Look at how long the Mogul updates took to get pushed out (over 9 months compared to the typical 6 months).

HTC is a good company and normally does well at pushing out needed updates. But they've had their "problem children" too (such as the Mogul).

Palm lately seems to be doing better (think of all the fixes for the 800w already). One can only hope that trend will continue.
    Global Posts
    756 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VibrantRedGT View Post
    It is odd Palm released the Pro without a carrier signed up. Not sure but might be a first for them.

I would be all over the Pro if it came to Sprint. As much as the 800 guys would like to admit it but many would jump ship for it. Hey Im an 800 owner and would be gone in a pin drop.

I really hope that this is true. This device drives me too crazy to keep it. You guys have some serious patience. I clearly do not.
    A birdy told me that AT&T was done with WM based Treo's. This could be why. I can't speak for TMobile.
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VibrantRedGT View Post
    I would be all over the Pro if it came to Sprint. As much as the 800 guys would like to admit it but many would jump ship for it. Hey Im an 800 owner and would be gone in a pin drop.
    800 user here and have been for about 3 months. At a meeting today a co member had the Treo Pro. It was my first chance to play with it a bit. I hated the keyboard compared to my 800. That would be enough to keep me from jumping ship.
    Last edited by Rogus; 10/21/2008 at 11:41 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebag333 View Post
    That's not entirely true (or fair). Look at how long the Mogul updates took to get pushed out (over 9 months compared to the typical 6 months).
    I wasn't writing of updates, but rather the thread topic, release of units. The is a good discussion on the wmexperts podcasts relating to the possible cadence of a CDMA Pro follow on, and they emphasized that the TReo Pro is HTC's baby and becasue HTC brings products faster we might see a CDA Treo Pro faster than if it wa Palm doing the work.

If you think Malatesta and Dieter are being "unfair" or their assertions are not "entirely true", that's ok, but I agree with them on this industry insight.
    I wasn't writing of updates, but rather the thread topic, release of units. The is a good discussion on the wmexperts podcasts relating to the possible cadence of a CDMA Pro follow on, and they emphasized that the TReo Pro is HTC's baby and becasue HTC brings products faster we might see a CDA Treo Pro faster than if it wa Palm doing the work.

If you think Malatesta and Dieter are being "unfair" or their assertions are not "entirely true", that's ok, but I agree with them on this industry insight.
    HTC brings products faster because they have a wider range of products. That's why you see two or three HTC products released a year, because they don't really compete against each other (IE: slider VS non).

It's very possible (and even likely) that HTC will release a CDMA version of the Pro faster than Palm would, but until we see it happen we just won't know. There are more factors than company size that come into play for releasing a device.

Look at how Palm had the 800w ready for release with WM6, then Verizon jumped ship. That's 100% out of Palm's control, and their delay there is due entirely to factors that couldn't have been taken into account when they first started developing the 800w.

Other than the 800w, what delays have we seen with a Palm Treo being released? The 600, 650, 700, 750, etc have all been released at around the normal intervals that a carrier wants, that is about 2 years apart. Carriers don't like having competing devices released too close together, for a lot of reasons.

Just because HTC can release a device faster than Palm doesn't mean that Palm is riddled with delays. Or perhaps you'd care to give the dozens of examples of Palm having delays, to back up your claim?
    Sorry for the noobness but what is CDMA?
    Also what is GSM?
    I wasn't writing of updates, but rather the thread topic, release of units.
    And ironically, shortly after I answered you I saw the post on WMExperts.

Delay for Sprint Touch Pro release--why? Needs a ROM update to fix the following:

Camera Lag issues: Software
    GPS Lag issues: Software/reg edit
    TF3D exception issues: software/reg edit/update
    Camera Update - Software
    System Performance with Processor - Software Update/patch
    Speaker Volume issue - Check Hardware - Software/AD Update
    Control PAD malfunction - Software/Update
    Yup, no delay's from HTC.

Quote Originally Posted by xPSYCHOTRONx View Post
    Sorry for the noobness but what is CDMA?
    Also what is GSM?
    CDMA/GSM refers to the technology used for the different carriers. CDMA is Sprint and Verizon (Alltel and Bellsouth north of the border). GSM is AT&T and T-Mobile (along with almost all of Europe and most of the Asian countries, though CDMA is used in Asia as well).

They're non-compatible technology, which is why you can't take an 800w and use it on AT&T's network.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CDMA
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GSM
    Quote Originally Posted by crazie.eddie View Post
    The 800w is new and already 2 updates have been released.
    Hi can u give more info regarding these updates? How does one know if their phone has the latest update?
    Quote Originally Posted by BigPapaGato View Post
    Hi can u give more info regarding these updates? How does one know if their phone has the latest update?
    http://www.palm.com/us/support/treo/...downloads.html

All the information you need is there.
    Just because HTC can release a device faster than Palm doesn't mean that Palm is riddled with delays. Or perhaps you'd care to give the dozens of examples of Palm having delays, to back up your claim?
    perhaps you'd be better off reading or listening to people before you claim that Malatesta and Dieter from WMexperts or I reporting their view, claimed "palm is riddled with delays"?

I wrote no such thing and neither did they. They noted the faster speed at which HTC brought units to market. I don't know how you blew it up to take such apparent offense?

The point they made in their podcast was the fact that the Treo Pro is HTC instead of Palm means that we might see manufacture of the 800 in a CDMA faster than if it was a Palm only or Palm and other ODM deal.

They made a valid point and I reported on the relevant thread. I don't know what you are on about claiming they said Palm was "riddled with delays."
    perhaps you'd be better off reading or listening to people before you claim that Malatesta and Dieter from WMexperts or I reporting their view, claimed "palm is riddled with delays"?

I wrote no such thing and neither did they.

Actually, you did write such a thing.

Palm has a history of delays and long periods

Furthermore, you didn't attribute your statement to WMExperts at any point in time UNTIL I called you on it.

Additionally Mal has posted many a time defending Palm's release cycles when people complain about how slow they are compared to such-and-such company/device. Or at the least posted pointing out how such-and-such company/device really isn't any better than Palm's.

I'm sure Mal and Dieter did say that HTC can release faster than Palm, and that's true. But that's not the same as a "history of delays", which is flat out untrue.
    A history of Delays, as a huge number of posters here have noted, is not the same thing as claiming "riddled with delays." A history can mean delays on 10 or 20 or 30% of a product line or of support for it. "Riddled" with delays means most of the time and it is your word not mine. you are constantly changing what people say. I never said "riddled"

I reported that FACT that Malatesta and Dieter noted that the Palm Treo CDMA may come out faster because the project was an HTC one. That is a fact. I don't know what else you are saying.

Furthermore, you didn't attribute your statement to WMExperts at any point in time UNTIL I called you on it.
    What is the point of that? Everyone knows Palm is in trouble and has had a history of delays. I just thought you might finally accept a widely known fact if you had specific information. I was doing you a favor by pointing to a source.

But that's not the same as a "history of delays", which is flat out untrue.
    Typo there, you meant "flat out true."
    Given how many huge bugs still persist in the 800w, I'm not liking Palm's ability to support their products. They seem to be taking the money and running.
    A history of Delays, as a huge number of posters here have noted, is not the same thing as claiming "riddled with delays." A history can mean delays on 10 or 20 or 30% of a product line or of support for it. "Riddled" with delays means most of the time and it is your word not mine. you are constantly changing what people say. I never said "riddled"
    Semantics. I used the term "riddled" but I did not attribute that quote to you (notice there's no "" around it?). Maybe my interpretation of what you meant to say was slightly off, but I don't think that there have been delays on 30% of the product line.

The 800w and Foleo are the only ones with serious delays, and the 800w got a huge upgrade in the process. Remember:

Quote Originally Posted by aero
    I wasn't writing of updates, but rather the thread topic, release of units.
    So delay's in updates (oops, sorry..."support for it" not "updates") don't count.

And even though the 800w was delayed, it was still right about the 2 year cycle that is typical. So while it was delayed from when it was originally intended to be released, it's still really not outside the typical cycle.

What is the point of that? Everyone knows Palm is in trouble and has had a history of delays. I just thought you might finally accept a widely known fact if you had specific information. I was doing you a favor by pointing to a source.
    The widely known fact of these massive history of delays that Palm has?

Lets look at a little history:

700w - Jan 2006
    700wx - Feb 2007
    800w - June 2008

So the longest Palm's gone for a CDMA WM device (for releasing) has been 16 months, not even a year and a half. Only two years and 5 months between the 800w and the 700w, which isn't half bad considering they were delayed by circumstances outside their control.

Lets look at the Palm OS releases:

300 - 2003
    600 - 2003
    650 - 2004
    700p - 2006
    755p - 2007

So for all their releases of Palm OS phones except one, they were within a year of each other.

Palm has plenty of issues to deal with on their own, without going and inventing new ones.
    Semantics. I used the term "riddled" but I did not attribute that quote to you (notice there's no "" around it?). Maybe my interpretation of what you meant to say was slightly off, but I don't think that there have been delays on 30% of the product line.
    You exactly did attribute it. This is what you wrote when I asked directly if I said "riddled"
    BS. I did not. Riddled means endemic and typical. It means it is the primary and typical characteristic. I said no such thing.

What I said Palm has a history of delays. This means it happens with soem frequency.
    Palm delays US Treo 750 into oblivion

"Palm Delays Linx Treo Release Until 2008"
    "Palm sees low profit due to Delays"

I am not even going to get into their half decade delay on their own software.

There are hundreds of news and blog stories (including right here on treocentral) about delays on many different Palm products and palm rollouts.

Do I think that is the whole palm story? no.

What I wrote turned out to be an exact reflection of what experts at WMexperts said. That the fact that the Treo Pro was HTC meant it it could come sooner relative to it being only Palm's.

You jumped on a commonly held view by serious people here a bashing of Palm somehow.

Those of us in the know are glad the Palm Pro is being made by HTC and not just another palm ODM. It means if there will be a CDMA version it will come sooner rather than later.
    You two bicker in every thread.
    ATT History- From 1997-2001-> Nokia 6362->Motorola StarTac->Nokia 8260.

Nextel History From 2001-2004-> Motorola i1000-> Motorola i90c-> Motorola i95cl-> Motorola i730->Motorola i850.

Sprint History From 2005 - Currently->Sanyo 5500-> Sanyo 5600-> Sanyo-> 7400->Sanyo 8300->Sanyo->7500-> Sanyo 9000->Sanyo 8400->Sanyo M1->PPC-6700->Treo 700wx->PPC-6800(Mogul)-> Motorola Q9C-> Treo 800w-> Curve->Treo 800w->Touch Pro->Treo Pro> Curve "M"->HTC Hero.
    You two bicker in every thread. I thought I was annoying but you guys take the cake.
    ATT History- From 1997-2001-> Nokia 6362->Motorola StarTac->Nokia 8260.

Nextel History From 2001-2004-> Motorola i1000-> Motorola i90c-> Motorola i95cl-> Motorola i730->Motorola i850.

Sprint History From 2005 - Currently->Sanyo 5500-> Sanyo 5600-> Sanyo-> 7400->Sanyo 8300->Sanyo->7500-> Sanyo 9000->Sanyo 8400->Sanyo M1->PPC-6700->Treo 700wx->PPC-6800(Mogul)-> Motorola Q9C-> Treo 800w-> Curve->Treo 800w->Touch Pro->Treo Pro> Curve "M"->HTC Hero.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast