Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I installed the Charging update off Palm's website as soon as I got it out of the box.

A little about the device first. Only apps- Memmaid, SKTools and Kinoma Player. Hacks- Battery Performance and Camera only. CAB's- Palm's Charging. Settings- Backlight 30 seconds, Location Disabled, No screensaver.

1. Most of us on a full charge only show around 94-97% when removed from the charger. I only get 87%. I lose 13% each day (soft reset does nothing). This is so huge considering how awful the battery is already. Right now after the phone has been disconnected and hour later I'm out 79% (15 texts, nothing else). Any help on this one?

2. The data connection issue. I for one would love to lose data connection like most are. I would love to start a new data session when I open the browser or check email. With Exchange this is impossible. The only way to disable it is ActiveSync settings were you can turn it on to check for email like a POP account. I would like to disconnect data only when I want it. Any thoughts on this?

I will stop here as I have more bugs but I need help with these first.
    ATT History- From 1997-2001-> Nokia 6362->Motorola StarTac->Nokia 8260.

Nextel History From 2001-2004-> Motorola i1000-> Motorola i90c-> Motorola i95cl-> Motorola i730->Motorola i850.

Sprint History From 2005 - Currently->Sanyo 5500-> Sanyo 5600-> Sanyo-> 7400->Sanyo 8300->Sanyo->7500-> Sanyo 9000->Sanyo 8400->Sanyo M1->PPC-6700->Treo 700wx->PPC-6800(Mogul)-> Motorola Q9C-> Treo 800w-> Curve->Treo 800w->Touch Pro->Treo Pro> Curve "M"->HTC Hero.
  2.    #2  
    I guess I should continue:

3. When ActiveSync is active it will not update the Calendar, Tasks, Contacts, etc. I have "Replace on device" enabled. Did I miss a setting? Never had this happen with any PDA device ever.

Nextel History From 2001-2004-> Motorola i1000-> Motorola i90c-> Motorola i95cl-> Motorola i730->Motorola i850.

Sprint History From 2005 - Currently->Sanyo 5500-> Sanyo 5600-> Sanyo-> 7400->Sanyo 8300->Sanyo->7500-> Sanyo 9000->Sanyo 8400->Sanyo M1->PPC-6700->Treo 700wx->PPC-6800(Mogul)-> Motorola Q9C-> Treo 800w-> Curve->Treo 800w->Touch Pro->Treo Pro> Curve "M"->HTC Hero.
    Quote Originally Posted by VibrantRedGT View Post
    I installed the Charging update off Palm's website as soon as I got it out of the box.

A little about the device first. Only apps- Memmaid, SKTools and Kinoma Player. Hacks- Battery Performance and Camera only. CAB's- Palm's Charging. Settings- Backlight 30 seconds, Location Disabled, No screensaver.

1. Most of us on a full charge only show around 94-97% when removed from the charger. I only get 87%. I lose 13% each day (soft reset does nothing). This is so huge considering how awful the battery is already. Right now after the phone has been disconnected and hour later I'm out 79% (15 texts, nothing else). Any help on this one?

2. The data connection issue. I for one would love to lose data connection like most are. I would love to start a new data session when I open the browser or check email. With Exchange this is impossible. The only way to disable it is ActiveSync settings were you can turn it on to check for email like a POP account. I would like to disconnect data only when I want it. Any thoughts on this?

I will stop here as I have more bugs but I need help with these first.
    Wouldn't setting your ActiveSync schedule to "Manually" keep the data connection closed until you manually do a 'Send/Receive'?
    Sprint 600 - 650 - 755 - Mogul - 700Wx - Centro - 800W & iPhone

3. When ActiveSync is active it will not update the Calendar, Tasks, Contacts, etc. I have "Replace on device" enabled. Did I miss a setting? Never had this happen with any PDA device ever.
    I'm sure you have these settings, but it's the only thing I can think they may not be checked in the ActiveSync Options.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Sprint 600 - 650 - 755 - Mogul - 700Wx - Centro - 800W & iPhone
  5.    #5  
    Thanks John. Yes, I have those ActiveSync connections already. It worked fine yesterday and I have not changed anything.

The data connection right now is set for 60 minutes. However it does not close automatically. I have to manually close it. Which means its eating battery if I forget to close it. Having an open session is such a drain on the battery. It will eat the battery 6-10% an hour.

This is not normal. Either you have something running and eating up battery usage, or you have a defective phone/battery. I would guess (in this order) software/config, battery, phone.

A hard reset and testing it clean is easy to do (and if it doesn't work easy to restore from). For battery either borrow another phones or take it to the Sprint store. For phone...well...you know about that.

I used to want this on my 700wx.

Truthfully though, I eventually saw the wisdom of what Malatesta always said (though for a long time I disagreed with him). As long as your data connection arrows are grayed out (meaning the connection isn't active) your connection is using essentially zero power. Oh sure, periodically it'll send out a heartbeat to keep the connection open, but that's so small it's really meaningless.

On the other hand, canceling and reconnecting uses a lot more power.

Think about it, you have to turn on the screen, disconnect the connection when you're done, and reconnect it when you want it back.

Even if you disconnect it automatically, reconnecting it will eat power. Mythbuster's did a bunch of study on how much power is broadcasted from a wireless phone, and found that connecting was a HUGE amount compared to normal use. In other words there's a big spike of power use when the phone connects, but not when the connection's being used. (And having an "inactive" connection would be even less so.)

The data connection right now is set for 60 minutes. However it does not close automatically. I have to manually close it. Which means its eating battery if I forget to close it. Having an open session is such a drain on the battery. It will eat the battery 6-10% an hour.
    I've done a whole bunch of tests on this (largely to try and prove Mal wrong... ). An inactive connection uses so little power it might as well be considered zero. If you are actually seeing a 6-10% per hour drain on your phone, and the session is inactive (grey arrows), then your connection isn't your culprit. I would look elsewhere.

Have you deleted and recreated the pairing?

And you have an exchange server right? I believe that ActiveSync defer's to the exchange server when both are present on a device, meaning that AS might think that your events/tasks/etc are 'newer' than what it has.
  7.    #7  
    Hard reset has not been the answer to any issues of yet. Did one yesterday. If its defective Im gonna try to hang in there. Im still in my 30 days and if I exchange again it won't be another one of these. I just don't have the patience all you guys have. I love everything about this device but my top 2 issues will never be resolved by Palm (earpiece audio muffled and battery life). This is Treo 800 #3 for me.

The greyed out arrows is a nice tip which I do use. I find the data connection clocking ticking even when they are grey. Is that suppose to be?

When I did not have exchanged enabled once the data connection is disabled it will not turn back on until you check email or browse the web. I really liked it that way but not practical.

Im not sure about ActiveSync. Im going to delete everything and start over. Its pretty embarrassing owning a PDA but unable to make appointments.
    FWIW, I have also noticed better battery performance using WM6.1 and Exchange 2007 (30min updates) which seems to be better optimized than previous Exchange version. No formal tests, so could be placebo, but that's my experience.

lol, Ebag I forgot about those tests/debate about inactive connections

(For those really interested, I believe something like PhoneAlarm can force close connections and the Pro version has the ability to have profile control over AS, instead of the default peak/off peak configuration)

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
  9.    #9  
    I do have Exchange 2007 and 60 minute intervals set. I have charged my phone twice today. That's pretty much an average for me.
    The greyed out arrows is a nice tip which I do use. I find the data connection clocking ticking even when they are grey. Is that suppose to be?
    Yup, that's normal.

When I did not have exchanged enabled once the data connection is disabled it will not turn back on until you check email or browse the web. I really liked it that way but not practical.

Im not sure about ActiveSync. Im going to delete everything and start over. Its pretty embarrassing owning a PDA but unable to make appointments.
    ActiveSync does NOT play well with Exchange, I've noticed.

Just my personal experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    FWIW, I have also noticed better battery performance using WM6.1 and Exchange 2007 (30min updates) which seems to be better optimized than previous Exchange version. No formal tests, so could be placebo, but that's my experience.
    I'm on 2003 and haven't had too many problems. I am using push e-mail through the peak hours (approx 8) and 60 minute checks after peak. I did notice that moving to the 60 minute check slightly improved battery life, while a 30 minute check seemed to be actually worse than push.

Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    lol, Ebag I forgot about those tests/debate about inactive connections
    [Waves hand]

These are not the tests/debates that you are looking for.

I do have Exchange 2007 and 60 minute intervals set. I have charged my phone twice today. That's pretty much an average for me.
    Have you tried push e-mail?
    Global Posts
    741 Global Posts
    Damn I thought you posted in the wrong forum. What happened to the Curve you were in love with ? Did I mis a post some where?
  12.    #12  
    The Curve is such a good device that I actually got bored because I wanted to tinker. Now I have to tinker just to use this phone. I got Sprint to exchange the Curve for the Treo since I had dust under the screen issues. So Im in the 30 day trial. I jusy hope the Touch Pro comes out within the days I have left. I like to hack and all that but its too much for me. I want to play not chase down bugs.
    With a minimum amount of work, the bugs I am experiencing are still the Bluetooth volume starting in the middle area, the alarms sounding when they should not or maybe even non-existing alarms sounding. I gave up on the Pocket Outlook scandal and went with FlexMail. ActiveStynk works well for my uses.
    I jusy hope the Touch Pro comes out within the days I have left. I like to hack and all that but its too much for me. I want to play not chase down bugs.
    Assuming the Touch Pro is perfect i.e. no bugs (which is obviously impossible) the one thing that will be it's Achilles heel will be battery life.

Rated at 3.75hrs, that will be even more tough to deal with. And the Diamond is not getting much love at 4.2hrs evidently.

15.    #15  
    Mal, there is no way its worse than the 800. I will even put up money.

I have a few more bugs to add but will wait to post them into a new thread.
    Mal, there is no way its worse than the 800. I will even put up money.

I have a few more bugs to add but will wait to post them into a new thread.
    528mhz dual processor; large VGA screen, double the RAM, g & light sensor and only a 1340mah battery (if I remember)...I dunno, all of that doesn't come for free. HTC can't squeeze water from stone.

The Diamond on sprint is not known to have stellar battery life now, so I wouldn't get my hopes up.

I mean they are telling you straight up: 3.75 hrs of use. That's the 6700's RTT.
    Last edited by Malatesta; 10/15/2008 at 03:09 PM.
  17.    #17  
    Numbers mean nothing to me. Nobody is getting the 800 advertised numbers. It can't be worse than the 800, it can't.
    Global Posts
    84 Global Posts
    Numbers mean nothing to me. Nobody is getting the 800 advertised numbers. It can't be worse than the 800, it can't.
    Why come back then? Why submit yourself to such pains and then subject us to your whining? You've tried once, twice, thrice...it doesn't work for you. Let it go...let it go...
  19.    #19  
    Im having issues and asking for help. This is why the boards were created. Thanks for cluttering my thread, move along.
    Nobody is getting the 800 advertised numbers. It can't be worse than the 800, it can't.
    Oh come on, you know that's not true at all.

Even in our informal poll here 80% said that get 5hrs or more.

The 800w gets the rated talk time (4hrs) in ideal conditions--I think that's fairly accurate. And as mentioned previously, the Diamond on Sprint (which is pretty darn close to the Pro version) is getting quite a bit of complaints on battery life (read a few pages of that thread...it should be a harbinger, especially since the Pro is rated less than the Diamond on battery)

This is just the future of WM on CDMA. HTC aren't magicians. I don't blame HTC for it either...you can only do so much.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast