Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Global Posts
    514 Global Posts
    OK, I've been baffled by this thread, so I'm going to ask the question: Why might you want to?

If you're in a meeting, you'll presumably have slid the ringer switch to 'vibrate'. Any other time, you're surely going to a) answer the call or b) reject the call, either of which will silence the ring anyway. And if you don't do either of those pretty quick, it will go to voicemail, which will silence the ring.

I'm obviously missing something, sorry if it's obvious!
    Quote Originally Posted by Biggles View Post
    OK, I've been baffled by this thread, so I'm going to ask the question: Why might you want to?

If you're in a meeting, you'll presumably have slid the ringer switch to 'vibrate'. Any other time, you're surely going to a) answer the call or b) reject the call, either of which will silence the ring anyway. And if you don't do either of those pretty quick, it will go to voicemail, which will silence the ring.

Once you become one of the Treo Pro's targeted customer segment, that is, people who define their workday the way they see fit (professional businessman?), you would understand why we need it.
    Quote Originally Posted by jasper23 View Post
    Once you become one of the Treo Pro's targeted customer segment, that is, people who define their workday the way they see fit (professional businessman?), you would understand why we need it.
    I too am missing it??? I am in meetings all day and have to stop the ringing. The red END button works for me just fine. Yes it sends them to V.Mail, but isn't that what you want? Personally when I am calling someone and they are busy, I don't want to listen to their phone ring 4-6 times just to get sent to VM. I would rather someone just shoved me there in the first place if they are busy.

The Red End button works all day long for me. If I am already on a call the "ignore" option on the screen is working fine for me too. This is not to say i think "it is ok for the phone to work (not work) outside the specs in the manual," I am saying it doesn't seem like a deal buster on the first released version of this phone!

-D
    Global Posts
    514 Global Posts
    (professional businessman?)
    Is there another kind of businessman, maybe one who is in business for fun only?
    ;-)

Perhaps you would enlighten us if it's that obvious why it's needed?
    I guess everyone has different priorities, but I gotta say, this seems like a minor issue to me. I too spend a lot of time in meetings, but I don't get this thread either. I agree with CrozB.

G
  6. CDG
    Global Posts
    2,003 Global Posts
    Count me in as another "professional Businessman (actually businesswoman)", who doesn't get it either.

As I mentioned it in another thread I didn't know this feature existed on my 750 until I read that it is a bug on the TP.
    Global Posts
    221 Global Posts

It's not a big issue for me but I think the reason people like it is if someone calls you that you don't want to speak to if you send them right to voicemail they know you ignored them on purpose. Otherwise if it rings the normal amount of time and then goes to voicemail they supposedly think, "Ah he's not there to pick up his phone." I don't particularly care if someone knows I sent them to voicemail or not as my circle knows things get busy but that is the thought behind wanting the functionality I believe.
  8. CDG
    Global Posts
    2,003 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sansnil View Post
    It's not a big issue for me but I think the reason people like it is if someone calls you that you don't want to speak to if you send them right to voicemail they know you ignored them on purpose. Otherwise if it rings the normal amount of time and then goes to voicemail they supposedly think, "Ah he's not there to pick up his phone." I don't particularly care if someone knows I sent them to voicemail or not as my circle knows things get busy but that is the thought behind wanting the functionality I believe.
    Oh? I was under the impression that if the phone transfers to VM right away, it means the phone off/airplane mode or battery is dead or they are on the phone. Is this not true then?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by charlyee View Post
    Oh? I was under the impression that if the phone transfers to VM right away, it means the phone off/airplane mode or battery is dead or they are on the phone. Is this not true then?

Thanks

No, if you are really quick, I mean, 1/1,000,000 sec, like the spiderwoman does, then the caller may think it's off mode or battery dead.

Otherwise, usually, caller would know you intentionally kick him to the VM, not even bother to say a word.

And that could be a big negative sign to some stakeholders, key accounts, your boss or even your other significant such as husband, lover, bf, Joe Plumber etc...
    It's a feature I use on a very certain few.

And No, it's not worth crying about.

All I was trying to do was get the features I use with Aebuttons and just happened to notice that it provided a work around for ones who consider this a problem.

Again, I don't think it's worth getting upset about.
    uncheck the option to text with missed call and the "ignore" option comes back
    Mike

Eph 2:8-9
    Quote Originally Posted by mikewchandler View Post
    uncheck the option to text with missed call and the "ignore" option comes back
    So the option to push any button to silence the ringer works as long as we uncheck the option to sms a missed call?
    Just call me Berd.
    no...sorry if that was confusing. It will enable the right softkey to be "ignore call" not "ignore with text"
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by sansnil View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by treopq View Post
    No, if you are really quick, I mean, 1/1,000,000 sec, like the spiderwoman does, then the caller may think it's off mode or battery dead.

Otherwise, usually, caller would know you intentionally kick him to the VM, not even bother to say a word.

And that could be a big negative sign to some stakeholders, key accounts, your boss or even your other significant such as husband, lover, bf, Joe Plumber etc...
    I think both these posts sum it up.
    If one was to hit "Ignore" then many callers know this as "He just kicked me to VM, I must not be very important"
    Just call me Berd.
  15.    #35  
    sansmil and treopq pretty much summed it up.
    i dont want people to know that i ignored them on purpose so i would rather let it ring (sliently if i could) and then tell them i was in the other room and didnt hear it or i was sleeping, bathroom...
    if you hit the red button it goes to voicemail but only after a ring or two, thats when you know someone is ignoring you on purpose.
    i think this bug is a big issue as i dont always remember to put it on vibrate and its annoying to let the ringer ring 5 times before it stops (at dinner, meeting, intimate situations...)

i hope everyone gets why this is a normal and important feature on all phones but mikes ignore option might be a good workaround for now

edit: just reread the last post. hitting ignore will send them to voicemail? thats exactly like hitting the red button which is not what i need. i just want to silence it
    Quote Originally Posted by bigneeker View Post
    ...i dont want people to know that i ignored them on purpose so i would rather let it ring (sliently if i could) and then tell them i was in the other room and didnt hear it or i was sleeping, bathroom...
    Interesting to hear peoples' explanations on why the feature is important to them. I, on the other hand, would rather they think/know I was too involved in something more important (which is usually true), and thus not always available on demand...
    gotcha...never worried about it before...sorry
    Mike

Global Posts
    514 Global Posts
    Yes, I see what you mean now, you want to pretend you didn't hear it ring, right.

I've just tested, though, and on mine it does work if you press a letter key and hold it down (though the manual doesn't mention the last bit!).
    Global Posts
    122 Global Posts
    Interesting. I don't get that behaviour... Wonder if it's a registry tweak?
    Yes, I see what you mean now, you want to pretend you didn't hear it ring, right.

I've just tested, though, and on mine it does work if you press a letter key and hold it down (though the manual doesn't mention the last bit!).
    I too am not able to get it to work the way you suggest. What "Letter" worked for you?

-D
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast