Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    438 Global Posts
    The highly recommended Spb Shell has a nice animated touch interface too.
    I never get the point of cool & cute animation as menu/program transition. What's the use? It just serve as a smokescreen of a slow & inefficient OS & programming practice. And we should rave & praise those that do so? I will praise an OS & program that can redraw & show what I need in less than 0.1 seconds consistently though.
    Quote Originally Posted by pdaneophyte View Post
    I never get the point of cool & cute animation as menu/program transition. What's the use? It just serve as a smokescreen of a slow & inefficient OS & programming practice. And we should rave & praise those that do so? I will praise an OS & program that can redraw & show what I need in less than 0.1 seconds consistently though.
    So you praise the iPhone then... That is one great thing about the iPhone, it's fast. No lag what so ever.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad Ash View Post
    So you praise the iPhone then... That is one great thing about the iPhone, it's fast. No lag what so ever.
    in who's world? plenty of lag, plenty of times. 3 different 3G's and they all had lag at some point in many apps.
    Quote Originally Posted by cglaguna View Post
    in who's world? plenty of lag, plenty of times. 3 different 3G's and they all had lag at some point in many apps.
    You again eh... my world and many other people's world. Sucks that you had issues. Oh well. Can't appease everyone.
    Treo Central has always been a place for honest discussion, planning, criticizing and debate. My short run "in your world" a world that anytime some says anything bad about the "Golden iphone" they are criticized and told that "thou shall not criticize the "Golden Iphone". Where anything negative, instead of being an opportunity for group problem solving becomes an endless rant of "The Iphone is perfect" and anything negative is "Off topic".

It is amazing to me that Apple and ATT can supply me with 3 3G iphones that all exhibit the exact same charateristics, including dropping calls like flies, and that you claim it is a fluke.

That is why I left you and your minions in the mundane forum that is practically a desert, with very little discussion.

IParadise.com should be the forum domain cuz work blocks blogs and I could get to TC but never the other site.
    But honestly the Iphone is a cool toy that is fun to show people, "hey loook it is a level", "hey look it plays a mean game of poker, "hey look it can listen to my radio and tell me the name of a song" but for someone over 23, it is very low on the funtionality scale, even if it had decent radio inside of it.
    Anyone with friends who need mms, functional sms, video is huge, among hundreds of short comings.

I am not bitter, it was a fun run... I got a Iphone for $299 free of contract. ATT gave me $200 more dollars to buy the Treo Pro and credited my account another $100 for my trouble.

So, please think twice when you come here and trying to convince yourself that the iphone is a great product, that has no flaws, when obviously it does, and doesn't meet the needs of the majority of people. Peace
    Treo Central has always been a place for honest discussion, planning, criticizing and debate. My short run "in your world" a world that anytime some says anything bad about the "Golden iphone" they are criticized and told that "thou shall not criticize the "Golden Iphone". Where anything negative, instead of being an opportunity for group problem solving becomes an endless rant of "The Iphone is perfect" and anything negative is "Off topic".

It is amazing to me that Apple and ATT can supply me with 3 3G iphones that all exhibit the exact same charateristics, including dropping calls like flies, and that you claim it is a fluke.

That is why I left you and your minions in the mundane forum that is practically a desert, with very little discussion.

IParadise.com should be the forum domain cuz work blocks blogs and I could get to TC but never the other site.
    But honestly the Iphone is a cool toy that is fun to show people, "hey loook it is a level", "hey look it plays a mean game of poker, "hey look it can listen to my radio and tell me the name of a song" but for someone over 23, it is very low on the funtionality scale, even if it had decent radio inside of it.
    Anyone with friends who need mms, functional sms, video is huge, among hundreds of short comings.

I am not bitter, it was a fun run... I got a Iphone for $299 free of contract. ATT gave me $200 more dollars to buy the Treo Pro and credited my account another $100 for my trouble.

So, please think twice when you come here and trying to convince yourself that the iphone is a great product, that has no flaws, when obviously it does, and doesn't meet the needs of the majority of people. Peace
    I don't know who you are quoting saying "the iPhone is perfect"... You are completely off base. I never said the iPhone was perfect. In fact not a single phone in the world is perfect. You are so quick to insult people it's quite pathetic. And very defensive I might add. You don't see me bashing the Treo on here even though I've had a few of them and they were not close to being perfect devices. Have a nice day!
    Last edited by Bad Ash; 10/12/2008 at 01:28 PM.
    Cool it off, guys! Do discuss but don't bash each other. Face it, a perfect device exists only on each user if it works.
    Quote Originally Posted by ronbo2000 View Post
    Cool it off, guys! Do discuss but don't bash each other. Face it, a perfect device exists only on each user if it works.
    Not a problem. Even then no device is perfect. There will always be things the user wishes/wants to be different.
    There is a great thread on TC from some years ago that explains that the most important letter of the three in PDA is P for personal. Of course no one device exists that will suit everyone.
    The iPhone is a great device, i got one, and my 5 year old uses it to watch movies and play games on, I went back to the Treo680 couldn't deal with the lag, and also the amount of attention it required when using it you can't just glance at it and instantly know it's three or four clicks to a phone number, allowing you to look away and continue multitasking. And before anyone accuses me of not being an apple fan.... I own two apple laptops, one Apple desktop my whole home entertainment system is based on apple, all my wifi etc, but unfortunately the iPhone just didn't cut it for me.
    I think most of the people who are wowed by them are/were not previously smart phone users. BUT no one can argue that its not an incredibly successful product.
    The returns of iPhone in Australia have rather astonished the respective phone companies mind you.
    Quote Originally Posted by dbmgreen View Post
    There is a great thread on TC from some years ago that explains that the most important letter of the three in PDA is P for personal. Of course no one device exists that will suit everyone.
    The iPhone is a great device, i got one, and my 5 year old uses it to watch movies and play games on, I went back to the Treo680 couldn't deal with the lag, and also the amount of attention it required when using it you can't just glance at it and instantly know it's three or four clicks to a phone number, allowing you to look away and continue multitasking. And before anyone accuses me of not being an apple fan.... I own two apple laptops, one Apple desktop my whole home entertainment system is based on apple, all my wifi etc, but unfortunately the iPhone just didn't cut it for me.
    I think most of the people who are wowed by them are/were not previously smart phone users. BUT no one can argue that its not an incredibly successful product.
    The returns of iPhone in Australia have rather astonished the respective phone companies mind you.
    I agree with some of your post, but what I don't agree with is the point you make saying that the only people wowed by the iPhone are users who were not smartphone users prior. If that were the case would we have all of these iPhone clones out there that we now have? And every attempt to copy Apple has fallen flat. And RIM will soon find that out as well with the release of the Storm.

I've owned a Treo 650, 700p, 700WX, PPC-6700, PPC-6800, HTC Touch, iPhone, iPhone 3g and now along with the 3g I own a Treo Pro. Which I do love. So I'm not back here to say the iPhone is better or worse, it does things very well as does the Treo Pro.
    I am in a similar situation. I have owned most all of the devices that you listed, and can add the Treo 750, HTC Tilt, Moto Q9, and the Moto Q9h. Bought the iphone 2g when it came out, used it for 6 months, then bought the Treo 750. Bought the iphone 3g the day it came out, been using that ever since. The biggest difference for me is the native iphone apps. They are addictive. It amazes me how much cheaper the applications are for the iPhone. Plus, checking for updates is a breeze. Nothing quite touches it in that regard.

That said, there are a number of things I miss from my Treo 750. I have been considering getting a Treo Pro. Main reason for me is the dropped calls and poor coverage I have been experiencing on the iphone. One thing I am watching is whether or not the Pro has issues with the radio - Is the reception great, average, or poor? So I sit on the sidelines and wait. Also, I have never really adapted to the touch keyboard. I prefer a real keypad

To my wife's dismay, I like both Treo's and the iPhone. I am way past 23 years old! Think I been registered here for almost that long .

Sounds like we share some of the same observations.

Love your name - Bad Ash - Hail to the king baby!

I agree with some of your post, but what I don't agree wit!h is the point you make saying that the only people wowed by the iPhone are users who were not smartphone users prior. If that were the case would we have all of these iPhone clones out there that we now have? And every attempt to copy Apple has fallen flat. And RIM will soon find that out as well with the release of the Storm.

I've owned a Treo 650, 700p, 700WX, PPC-6700, PPC-6800, HTC Touch, iPhone, iPhone 3g and now along with the 3g I own a Treo Pro. Which I do love. So I'm not back here to say the iPhone is better or worse, it does things very well as does the Treo Pro.
    Thanks justleft. I am really enjoying the Treo Pro and iphone combo. I am lucky that I've had very few iphone issues, that being said the Pro has really good reception as well as a great battery life. I don't think you'd regret it!
    Bad Ash, have you put the Pro in field test mode and compared the strength of the signal to the iPhone? How does the Pro handle the switch between edge and 3G? From your reply, it doesn't sound like you are encountering the dropped or failed calls with the Pro. Can you confirm?

Any other observations between the two phones would be greatly appreciated. Specifically those where you are happier with the Treo Pro - I know the advantages of the iPhone, just got to build my case with the wife.

Thanks justleft. I am really enjoying the Treo Pro and iphone combo. I am lucky that I've had very few iphone issues, that being said the Pro has really good reception as well as a great battery life. I don't think you'd regret it!
    With regard to reception, in Australia the Treo Pro has received a C-tick from Telstra (our main largest ex govt telco) for reception. Telstra have a service obligation to those on rural areas in Australia, and a C-tick means that the phone is rated up there with the best phones available when it is NOT connected to an external antenna device. Telstra are really harsh in testing, so this is a huge vote of confidence in the treo.
    Hmm the iPhone, for me, it wasn't that it did one thing really bad, it was just that the combination of a lot of little annoyances just were to frustrating for me. Maybe not for others? Like I said above, Personal. I thought the recent update would have fixed the lag, and some of the other stuff, so I went back to it for another week, but couldn't cope.
    dbmgreen, thanks for that information. I have not seen too many articles on reception, which likely is a very good thing. One variable here in the states is AT&T. I think some of the issues I am encountering are with their network. One reason is that I work in a building that has AT&T repeaters. I don't have issues with signal strength - I get a full five bars and the field test shows a db reading in the 60's. Yet I have still had calls fail.

I will never get rid of my iPhone. The app store has me hooked. Rather, I would use the Treo for business and the iPhone for pleasure. Matter of fact the iPhone is too much of a distraction at work - it is just too tempting with its non business functions.

Quote Originally Posted by dbmgreen View Post
    With regard to reception, in Australia the Treo Pro has received a C-tick from Telstra (our main largest ex govt telco) for reception. Telstra have a service obligation to those on rural areas in Australia, and a C-tick means that the phone is rated up there with the best phones available when it is NOT connected to an external antenna device. Telstra are really harsh in testing, so this is a huge vote of confidence in the treo.
    Hmm the iPhone, for me, it wasn't that it did one thing really bad, it was just that the combination of a lot of little annoyances just were to frustrating for me. Maybe not for others? Like I said above, Personal. I thought the recent update would have fixed the lag, and some of the other stuff, so I went back to it for another week, but couldn't cope.
    Quote Originally Posted by justleft View Post
    Bad Ash, have you put the Pro in field test mode and compared the strength of the signal to the iPhone? How does the Pro handle the switch between edge and 3G? From your reply, it doesn't sound like you are encountering the dropped or failed calls with the Pro. Can you confirm?

Any other observations between the two phones would be greatly appreciated. Specifically those where you are happier with the Treo Pro - I know the advantages of the iPhone, just got to build my case with the wife.
    I have not done that no, but I can tell you the Treo Pro has no issues with reception. There is one area I go into at work where it goes to edge as does the iPhone in the same spot. Other than that no issues with reception. No dropped calls.
    You know my iphone experience, over 130 dropped calls the first month.
    ATT swore it is a problem with iphone and asked me to try another phone. I did, blackjack 2 that many people claim has terrible reception. My reception with the black jack 2 at work, at school, gym at clubs was easily twice the reception with the Apple (3 different 3G's). With my Treo Pro now for over almost two weeks the coverage has been great, not perfect but better than BJ2 and Much better than iPhone 3g. Now it may be the kind of towers, the distance between towers but this is not a test in one area it is all over Southern OC.

I love the iphone interface, and will probably keep it on wifi, but horrible phone (for me).
    I love my iPhone as an overall device. As a phone though, the love diminishes. I have given up counting dropped calls or failed calls. I will never get rid of it because of the other functionality it offers, but I need something dependable as a phone when I travel. Please continue to post your results. I got a couple of weeks before I do anything. I am waiting on a credit from Dell to go through, then I will likely pull the trigger - assuming I don't see a spat of issues crop up on the board over the next couple weeks.

You know my iphone experience, over 130 dropped calls the first month.
    ATT swore it is a problem with iphone and asked me to try another phone. I did, blackjack 2 that many people claim has terrible reception. My reception with the black jack 2 at work, at school, gym at clubs was easily twice the reception with the Apple (3 different 3G's). With my Treo Pro now for over almost two weeks the coverage has been great, not perfect but better than BJ2 and Much better than iPhone 3g. Now it may be the kind of towers, the distance between towers but this is not a test in one area it is all over Southern OC.

I love the iphone interface, and will probably keep it on wifi, but horrible phone (for me).
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast