Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I had to make a call last night after a crazy drunk driver came from an oncoming traffic lane and almost hit my car at 2am.

Now I can't make a call out. Every time I try I get an error message saying, "You cannot dial a non-emergency number while in emergency call back mode."

It's been over 12 hours since I called 911, I shouldn't still be in emergency callback mode .

Any help?

Update! rc46 found the solution to the problem
    I would start by deleting the following 2 entries

HKCU\ControlPanel\phone\emergencymodetimeout (4292967295)
    hklm\software\microsoft\today\items\"active call"\emergency_hwind
    (2080910208)

Because those entries are not present in the OEM registry. I would bet that if you delete them, wait 5 minutes, and then do a soft-reset, all will work fine again.
    Thanks to everyone for the help!
    Last edited by kaptainchump; 10/22/2008 at 10:01 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by kaptainchump View Post
    I had to make a call last night after a crazy drunk driver came from an oncoming traffic lane and almost hit my car at 2am.

Now I can't make a call out. Every time I try I get an error message saying, "You cannot dial a non-emergency number while in emergency call back mode."

It's been over 12 hours since I called 911, I shouldn't still be in emergency callback mode .

Any help?
    Haven't done it with the 800, but on my 700wx, I had to hit a key to get it out of emergency mode, I think it was #, but its been a while. Sorry I can't be more exact, but there is a way out of it - have you checked the manual?
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by AS329 View Post
    Haven't done it with the 800, but on my 700wx, I had to hit a key to get it out of emergency mode, I think it was #, but its been a while. Sorry I can't be more exact, but there is a way out of it - have you checked the manual?
    I just searched through the online pdf manual and there wasn't an explanation on how to get out of emergency mode.
    I guess soft reset does not help?
    kaptainchump - I'll be sending you a PM with my source, but this appears to be a bug and a hard reset is apparently your only option out of the lock.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post
    kaptainchump - I'll be sending you a PM with my source, but this appears to be a bug and a hard reset is apparently your only option out of the lock.
    I got your private message and I saw that site while i was searching Google for the solution. I guess I was hoping that there would be a better solution to this than the ol' hard reset.

I'm someone that will spend 3 hours on a computer to figure out the root of the problem rather than reloading the operating system.

If we could find a REAL solution to this, it would be great. Like the poster said on the link you gave me darnell, I don't want to feel like it's an annoyance to call 911 because of this bug.
    I agree.

Any help?
    They guy didn't actually hit you, so why bother to call 911?
    I called 911 on Thursday from my 800w when I arrived home to find my home had been burglarized. When I hung up there was an option on screen to hit the left soft key to exit emergency mode. I haven't had a problem making normal phone calls since.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by iamtreo View Post
    You're kidding me right? The guy was going 80+ in an oldmobile cutlass ciera while he was taking a turn and hopped the median. The speed limit around the turn is 35. He started swerving in between traffic going the wrong direction. He didn't hit me going 40+ because i saw him way in advance. If someone you knew was killed by that guy and I hadn't called the cops, you would be asking a totally different question.

I guess I'll just let people find their way home and kill someone next time. It would at least save me the hassle of having to hard reset my phone.

I'm not someone who sits in their window and calls the cops at the drop of a hat, but I wasn't going to let that guy go unnoticed. Who knows if he was drunk or just robbed some place?
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by Alli View Post
    I called 911 on Thursday from my 800w when I arrived home to find my home had been burglarized. When I hung up there was an option on screen to hit the left soft key to exit emergency mode. I haven't had a problem making normal phone calls since.
    Yeah I had the same notification, but it kept gracing my screen. I dismissed it over 5 times.
    kaptainchump - You did the RIGHT thing calling the cops. If a driver is obviously unable to maintain good control of their vehicle, they need to be removed from it. They may have missed you, but the drunk driver who misses hitting anyone 99% of the time still could land 1% in the grave.
    Alli and kaptainchump, given your different experiences with the feature, it would be good to see if you two have any differences in configurations that might have caused different results for you both when making a 911 call.

Do either of you have any hacks on any of your soft keys?
    You're kidding me right? The guy was going 80+ in an oldmobile cutlass ciera while he was taking a turn and hopped the median. The speed limit around the turn is 35. He started swerving in between traffic going the wrong direction. He didn't hit me going 40+ because i saw him way in advance. If someone you knew was killed by that guy and I hadn't called the cops, you would be asking a totally different question.

I guess I'll just let people find their way home and kill someone next time. It would at least save me the hassle of having to hard reset my phone.

I'm not someone who sits in their window and calls the cops at the drop of a hat, but I wasn't going to let that guy go unnoticed. Who knows if he was drunk or just robbed some place?
    You are right. You are a very responsible guy. That guy should go to jail and also fix the treo problem for you.
    Global Posts
    788 Global Posts
    that is a hell of a bug..911 and your done
    M505 -> M515 -> Kyo6035 -> Kyo 7135 -> Treo 600 ->Treo 650 -> Treo 700P -> Treo 700 WX -> Samsung Saga VZW
    Global Posts
    84 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by iamtreo View Post
    Dumbest question of the year
    I think what the poster probably meant is that there is a huge difference between calling 911 and calling the police. 911 is not the police. 911 is for life threatening emergencies. sure, it can be argued that the driver was driving recklessly and he/she was a threat to other drivers. if you asked your local police department, I bet they would rather you call the police department to make that report, not 911.
    Quote Originally Posted by car_designer View Post
    I think what the poster probably meant is that there is a huge difference between calling 911 and calling the police. 911 is not the police. 911 is for life threatening emergencies. sure, it can be argued that the driver was driving recklessly and he/she was a threat to other drivers. if you asked your local police department, I bet they would rather you call the police department to make that report, not 911.
    Unless you live in Mayberry, calling your local department will take much longer...way off topic, but I think this emergency call to 911 was warranted. Most modern 911 centers would have had this phone directed to the local PD within 15 to 20 seconds anyway. This call wasn't to simply make a report but to potentially stop a crime in progress.

I call my local police all the time for work and it takes at least 5 rings to pick up and a few minutes on hold - on hold I listen to a recording telling me to hang up and dial 911 if I need immediate assistance.

My .02, back to topic, this really sucks. Like the OP, I'll call 911 when necessary, sucks I'll have to hard reset. Is there a registry setting somewhere that controls this?

EDIT: There is a setting in HKCU>ControlPanel>Phone ..its EmergencyMode, mine has a value of 0...if your is 1, change it to 0 and see what happens (normal disclaimer about screwing with the registry inserted here)

EDIT AGAIN: There is another setting in the same place OnEmergencyCall...current value for me is 0...same thing as above.
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post
    Alli and kaptainchump, given your different experiences with the feature, it would be good to see if you two have any differences in configurations that might have caused different results for you both when making a 911 call.

Do either of you have any hacks on any of your soft keys?
    Oh look, I've hijacked this thread back on topic. Fancy that.

No, no hacks that effect the soft keys, just the one which causes the red button to power off.
    Quote Originally Posted by AS329 View Post
    I call my local police all the time for work and it takes at least 5 rings to pick up and a few minutes on hold - on hold I listen to a recording telling me to hang up and dial 911 if I need immediate assistance.
    In the city limits of Cincinnati, OH, sometimes the 911 center gets backed up and instead of calls then rolling to the county 911 center, instead it plays a message saying "Please hold for the next emergency operator". Last time I called them I was on hold for 2 minutes before I got an operator. Thankfully nobody was shooting at me or something like that.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast