Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post
    Nobody can predict how anyone will act during an emergency situation. We need the device to work as reliably as possible, especially in emergency situations. Not lock up because someone hit the wrong key and wants to get out of emergency mode.
    Once it's locked up in emergency mode, you can call 911 again if needed right?
    yes, you can redial 911. (lol where I live you might have to call several times in a row!.)incoming from anywhere works as well as does in and out SMS. *2 works. outgoing to other three digit numbers work (611, 311). outgoing calls to normal phone numbers do not.
    It would be interesting to be in an area where you have an emergency, call 911, then someone inform you the area you're in is not on 911 service, then need to try and call the police in that area directly.
    (I did not very long ago, live in a town that was not on 911 and we literally had to keep the local police department number handy. Calling 911 would result in going through a system that would only delay things if you tried to have the neighboring area's 911 operators call the town's police department. And the other area's 911 operators were the ones who picked up when we called 911, but they did not actually service our area. They might relay calls as a courtesy at times, but it really delayed things and it was faster when mistakenly dialing 911, to explain you are not in their service area, hang up and call the police directly.)
    I hard rest one but have kept one that is still 911-jammed as is and will get some time tomorrow to reinstall regedit software and try and go over the registry differences to see if I can take it out myself without a hard reset. I will post results here.
    I would start by deleting the following 2 entries

HKCU\ControlPanel\phone\emergencymodetimeout (4292967295)
    hklm\software\microsoft\today\items\"active call"\emergency_hwind
    (2080910208)

Because those entries are not present in the OEM registry. I would bet that if you delete them, wait 5 minutes, and then do a soft-reset, all will work fine again.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    Quote Originally Posted by rc46 View Post
    I would start by deleting the following 2 entries

HKCU\ControlPanel\phone\emergencymodetimeout (4292967295)
    (2080910208)

Because those entries are not present in the OEM registry. I would bet that if you delete them, wait 5 minutes, and then do a soft-reset, all will work fine again.

yes that was it. Thanks for confirming.

For the record, deleting these two keys and soft reset ended the 911 emergency only outcall mode.

Thanks for everyone who gave experience and suggestions.
    Aero, hope you're contacting Sprint and Palm about this.

RC46 saves the day !
    Yes I called Sprint last night after figuring it out with since Palm had told me earlier that it had to do with Sprint's circuits I didn't bother(lol!)

But I think in the end it is palm that would have to post a safe typcial user registry patcher for those two keys
  8.    #48  
    Great work guys!

I hope this gets bundled as an option (like the clear voicemail icon) within the phone application on some kind of update.

Thanks for everyone's help!
  9. Cel
    Global Posts
    290 Global Posts
    Not that it's on topic but on the freeway signs here in California, they have on them when there's nothing better to report "Drunk Drivers? Call 9-1-1"

I guess we know how cali feels about the topic.
    I've never called 911 and don't have the registry keys:
    HKCU\ControlPanel\phone\emergencymodetimeout
    and

Is the emergency call somehow triggering a process that adds those keys, or do some people already have those keys in their Treo 800w although they never called 911?

Since it's a registry matter, I guess changing the registry keys or restoring a most recent backup before dialing 911 can help.
    Or I guess mistakenly hitting the wrong key once in emergency mode, triggers the creation of those registry keys.
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post
    I've never called 911 and don't have the registry keys:
    HKCU\ControlPanel\phone\emergencymodetimeout
    and

Is the emergency call somehow triggering a process that adds those keys, or do some people already have those keys in their Treo 800w although they never called 911?

Since it's a registry matter, I guess changing the registry keys or restoring a most recent backup before dialing 911 can help.
    Restoring a backup will over write an existing registry key but it will not delete a newly added key. Therefore you must go in an manually delete the 2 keys created by dialing 911 or by missing option to turn off emergency mode. I can not be sure which event causes the registry change but the keys are not present in a factory fresh device.
    Last edited by rc46; 10/23/2008 at 01:07 PM.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    Thanks Rc46, I've got the areas in my Treo 800w's registry bookmarked as Favorites and a note for myself if I ever need to dial 911.

Have any the Treo Pro folks had to dial 911 yet ?
    We were working on new equipment in the dispatch center for phase II wireless GPS locate on cellular 911's. I made a test call to 911 and answered it myself, received a proper GPS signal, and ended my call. I was stuck in emergency callback mode, reported same problem to sprint. I spoke to the people that can actually get things done at Sprint, was relayed to tech support and they said this was not a bug in the 800w, and that it was my error when I hit the "stay in emergency callback mode" after disconnecting the call. This was not the case, definitely not an error on my part. The phone asked if I wanted to stay in emergency callback mode, I chose no, it asked 15 more times and I asked no each time. It would not stop asking the question until I took the battery out. I had no mods, no programs installed at the time.. All stock. When it comes to the exact verbiage of the question the phone asked, I do not remember if it asked to remain in emergency callback mode or to exit emergency callback mode. Either way I picked the appropriate choice, it would not stop asking.

I explained my bug and talked the Sprint tech support lab down in Texas through how to make a test 911 call (she had to get like 5 levels of permission through her supervisors, but surprisingly they let her) and she had no problem with her phone exiting emergency callback mode after her 911 call through their county sheriffs 911 center.

Sprint says this is a non-issue, though I wonder if anyone reads these forums because I'm not the only one this has happened to. I like the 800w, wish it wasn't as buggy, and am waiting for a more reliable Sprint treo... One of these days it may happen, and who knows, they may add in the direct connect feature like the blackberry through sprint/nextel. Take care all.. Don't know if this helps at all... Or if I'm just wasting everyone's time.
    When I had an 800w, I had to make a 911 call once and I clicked the option mentioned in earlier comments to exit emergency callback mode and it exited emergency mode. I had already read this thread, so I knew what to do before making the call and I was a little nervous before calling 911, that I might be locked in emergency callback mode.

Sorry to hear someone selected the option to exit and was not allowed to.

But the real issue is, even if someone selects the wrong option, they should not be held in emergency callback mode forever until they pull the battery.
    Quote Originally Posted by tack2900 View Post
    This was not the case, definitely not an error on my part. The phone asked if I wanted to stay in emergency callback mode, I chose no, it asked 15 more times and I asked no each time. It would not stop asking the question until I took the battery out.
    Exactly what happened to me and I just tested it this morning and it did the same thing. We have a very modern 911 in our area.

Quote Originally Posted by tack2900 View Post
    Sprint says this is a non-issue, though I wonder if anyone reads these forums because I'm not the only one this has happened to. .
    They know it is peculiar to 800w and that it requires a hard reset (or for the .5% of people who know how, a reg edit). Sadly tier 2 told me it is no bug, but ADS (above tier 2) said it is a known problem on this particular device.
    Why in tarnation does an emergency callback mode even exist? I never heard of it. I can see many instances where you call 911 for the life-threatening emergency, then need to call the spouse to let them know you are o.k., the boss to let them know you will miss the 9am meeting, a tow-truck to get the wrecked car, and a buddy to come pick you up. If the 911 center needs to call you back, they have your number. I thought Ma Bell had the capability of interrupting a current call to let a priority call get to you. Isn't 911 authorized to use this ability to get back with you?
    "Everybody Palm!"

Palm III/IIIC, Palm Vx, Verizon: Treo 650, Centro, Pre+.
    Leo killed my future Pre 3 & Opal, dagnabitt!
    Should I buy a Handspring Visor instead?
    Got a Pre2! "It eats iPhones for Breakfast"!
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    These drunk drivers are a menace to society -- glad to hear that you're OK.

Last year I called 911 on my Treo 755p and connected with emergency services. The cops were here in what seemed seconds.
    Current Phone(s): HTC Inspire "4G" & Pre 2
    Quote Originally Posted by duanedude1 View Post
    Why in tarnation does an emergency callback mode even exist? I never heard of it. I can see many instances where you call 911 for the life-threatening emergency, then need to call the spouse to let them know you are o.k., the boss to let them know you will miss the 9am meeting, a tow-truck to get the wrecked car, and a buddy to come pick you up. If the 911 center needs to call you back, they have your number. I thought Ma Bell had the capability of interrupting a current call to let a priority call get to you. Isn't 911 authorized to use this ability to get back with you?
    Here's how BlackBerry explains it and I'm citing them because theirs was an easy to find quick explanation. When it works as BlackBerry explains, emergency callback mode is not really such a hassle.

About Emergency Callback Mode
    When you end an emergency call, the BlackBerry® device enters Emergency Callback Mode. This mode enables the operator to call you back or determine your approximate location. Depending on your service provider, Emergency Callback Mode is active for five minutes or is canceled when you make a non-emergency call.

In Emergency Callback Mode, you cannot send and receive messages or browse web pages.

Your device exits Emergency Callback Mode at any time if you make a non-emergency call.
    Still in shock, that Palm has not released an update to fully resolve this issue. This one is of critical importance.
    Quote Originally Posted by duanedude1 View Post
    If the 911 center needs to call you back, they have your number. I thought Ma Bell had the capability of interrupting a current call to let a priority call get to you. Isn't 911 authorized to use this ability to get back with you?
    The capabilities an advanced 911 center has is:
    ANI/ALI - A souped up version of caller ID. With land lines it gives us the subscriber information, full name, town, and street address (as long as these are updated with the phone company)

Phase II locate - With any cell phones made after 2000 I believe, there is a passive GPS that operates either by satellite or triangulating signal between at least 2 towers. (The phone is the third point in the triangle)
    This will tell us the GPS coordinates that we plot automatically on a map/satellite photo. This system is pretty accurate, within 20-100 feet.

The cell tower address, and which face of the tower the signal is coming from.

The only way we can get updated info about the caller's location (besides them telling us) is to hit a "retransmit" button that will send a signal to the phone for a new location. It is less accurate in buildings due to signal impedance. Besides answering the phones, that is the extent of my technical knowledge.. Though this morning we had a tour of the Ameritech facility in our town.. I wanted to start unplugging or pulling wires, just for fun.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast