Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ftwitty View Post
    It does come in handy now and then.
    Yeah, I constantly use it for transferring movies, music, and pics without having to go through AS. I don't even have AS installed anymore.
    Currently using a Treo Pro with Seidio's holster.
    Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PDAholic View Post
    Trust me, it works. I used it to load up a 700MB movie on my card this morning. Soooo much better (and faster) than Activesync.
    Well, I transferred a movie of approx 750MB and it took a good 25 minutes. I don't know what ActiveSync would have been, but that feels painfully slow.

I'm pretty sure the Treo Pro supports USB 2.0 which CardExport should utilize. With no USB overhead and pure maximum throughput, that should have taken only 13 seconds (480Mb or 60MB/sec). Even USB 1.1 would have been 12Mb (or 1.5MB) per second - about 8.5 minutes. While I don't expect that the maximum speeds of either USB protocol would be attainable, I don't understand how CardExport is only 1/3 the speed of the SLOWER USB protocol.

Any thoughts???
    Well, I have a class4 8gb microsd, and my 700mb file transferred this morning in just over 10 min. Activesync usually times out.
    Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    Well, I have a class4 8gb microsd, and my 700mb file transferred this morning in just over 10 min. Activesync usually times out.
    My card is a 6GB, but also Class 4... So, we're using the same device and the same class of card. Can you take a look at your CardExport settings and post them? I'd like to compare.

Also, what is your PC's OS?

In any event, your transfer times are much better than mine, but still seems like a sluggish USB 1.1 - nothing close to USB 2.0 times - wondering what we can do to improve.
    Quote Originally Posted by amg212 View Post
    My card is a 6GB, but also Class 4... So, we're using the same device and the same class of card. Can you take a look at your CardExport settings and post them? I'd like to compare.

Also, what is your PC's OS?

In any event, your transfer times are much better than mine, but still seems like a sluggish USB 1.1 - nothing close to USB 2.0 times - wondering what we can do to improve.
    Amg,

I have a Pentium M 1.1Ghz, and my settings are:
    hardware: all empty boxes except rx 2 and tx 1
    Mode: removable storage
    Cards: checked exported and protect mbr

I have another film I want to transfer, and I will try transferring it with an actual card reader and CEII to compare the two.

Keep in mind that if your card is highly fragmented, transfer speeds will be slower. I recently formatted my SD card, so it is not fragmented at all. I don't know if MemMaid or some similar utility will defrag empty card space, but might be worth looking into.
    Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    I tried with a freshly formatted card, and settings identical to yours. I can't even come close to reproducing the transfer speeds...
    I found it amazing how one can switch between Active Sync and Card Export modes while hooked-up to a PC. You get the best of both worlds by simply tapping the Pro's screen a couple of times. Pretty neat.
    Last edited by ftwitty; 12/08/2008 at 09:05 PM.
    I just moved a 715Mb avi file in 13 min, 10 sec. I will try to test my card reader later.

Too bad the movie won't play with Coreplayer or TCPMP. The software is just not optimized for our processor.
    Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    In my most recent test, I had a 734MB file transfer to the device with CardExport II in 19:26 (i.e., 0.63MB/sec).

I then tested transferring the same file from the same computer, to the same card, using a SanDisk SDDR-113 MicroMate reader (plugged into the same USB port that the Treo Pro had been connected to). That transfer to the card took only 55 seconds (i.e., 13.3 MB/sec).

CardExport is supposed to simulate a USB card reader - but in this test, was 21 times slower!

While PDAholic's times are nearly 50% better than my test, it still illustrates how painfully slow CardExport is versus a card reader. Has this slow performance been noted on other USB2.0 capable WM devices?
    Amg,

You should write to the company and express your concerns. Softick has been very receptive to my questions.

I will compare my card reader soon, but I doubt mine will transfer that quickly.

Even though the program may not be the fastest, it still beats having to take the cover off and removing the card each time I want to transfer something.
  11. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    The benefit of software like WM5Storage and Card Export II is that you don't need a card reader, and hence you don't need to take the card out of the device. It was okay to use card readers back in the day with card slot, but now we have to slide off the back cover and dig to get at the card.

My suggestion to the OP is to write the folks at Card Export II and ask them to support the Treo Pro. I have a feeling that there is something funky with our USB ports, because CEII works with the Treo 800w, but not with the Pro.
    I am well aware what the benefits of a program like that is, it is still gonna be dogsh-t slow in the transfer speed dept.. That was my point in telling him to get a card reader. I you have tried transferring 7GB of music through the Treo you would understand where I am coming from. I don't think Card Export II, or WM5torage would make a bit if difference in the speed of transfer.
    Quote Originally Posted by NRG View Post
    I am well aware what the benefits of a program like that is, it is still gonna be dogsh-t slow in the transfer speed dept.. That was my point in telling him to get a card reader. I you have tried transferring 7GB of music through the Treo you would understand where I am coming from. I don't think Card Export II, or WM5torage would make a bit if difference in the speed of transfer.
    Thanks for bringing back this old thread. To each his own. Personally, I don't need to shuttle 7Gigs of music to my phone, and I doubt many others do either. The most I transfer is a 700mb AVI, and I can wait 10 minutes for the transfer.
    I just tried Card Export II on my 800w (it now works on the 800w and Treo Pro). It is just as slow as transferring files via ActiveSync. Just like all other mass storage programs, none of them increase file transfer speed.

I use a card read when I have lots to transfer, because I'm one of those who does have Gigs to move. And even if 700MB, I'm not going to sit around 10 minutes when it can be done in under a minute with a card reader. And when doing it via my 800w, moving 700MB takes well over 10 minutes.

No program is able to improve transfer speed, so its possible the devices are just slow. Which makes me wonder if they can even take full advantage of the benefits of a class 6 card versus a class 2 card.
    I don't see any point in buying a mass storage program, when going to "Mobile Device" via File Explorer, opening the Storage Card and transferring the files is equally as slow. Doing it via selecting "Mobile Device" versus having a drive letter as a mass storage device only saves a few clicks. And if someone is uptight about a few clicks, they certainly are not going to want to wait the additional time required to transfer files using the Treo versus the transfer speed benefits of using a card reader. The files move way too slow when using the Treo for me. I only use the Treo when transferring small files to the card.
  15. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Thanks for bringing back this old thread. To each his own. Personally, I don't need to shuttle 7Gigs of music to my phone, and I doubt many others do either. The most I transfer is a 700mb AVI, and I can wait 10 minutes for the transfer.
    Which goes to the part of my post you clipped out, use MediaMonkey. It is free, and allows your MSD to be viewed as a separate item. There is absolutely no reason to pay for CE II, unless of course you are going to lug around a USB cable to load files from a computer that has neither MM or AS.
    Looks as if MediaMonkey can do a whole lot more than make the SD card in a Treo be viewable as mass storage.
  17. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post
    Looks as if MediaMonkey can do a whole lot more than make the SD card in a Treo be viewable as mass storage.
    It does. .
    AND, MediaMonkey is selling "lifetime" licenses of their paid version. Most companies that make a successful product don't offer those very long.

I'm looking them over to get a lifetime license.
    Quote Originally Posted by NRG View Post
    Which goes to the part of my post you clipped out, use MediaMonkey. It is free, and allows your MSD to be viewed as a separate item. There is absolutely no reason to pay for CE II, unless of course you are going to lug around a USB cable to load files from a computer that has neither MM or AS.
    I will check out MediaMonkey. But unfortunately, I have to "lug around" the USB cable anyway, as I have to have it to charge the phone.
    i'll try card export II, but TP should be able to do the same job without any apps ?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast