1.    #1  
    I have managed to break my phone pretty bad -- screen doesn't work and keys do not work. However, phone still boots, so I am able to sync. I have the Verizon warranty so they sent me a new one but I am suppose to return the one I have. I have a lot of sensitive data and want to erase the memory but do not know how to do this since I cannot perform a hard reset without being able to use the screen or the keyboard. I am able to use the explorer from my PC to try to erase some files. However, some files cannot be deleted, especially any that are in the Databases folders -- which is where most of my sensitive info is. Does anyone know of any windows based utilities to erase my Treo? I could always last-resort use a huge magnet -- if I can find one. Thanks! My007Dog
    x2 on the giant magnet.
    will a magnet even do anything?

how about one of those programs where you can control your smartphone from a PC? know anybody with a redfly? maybe now would be a good time to buy one (if it works)
    another idea is to destroy the 700WX and just buy a used one off of craigslist. I see them all the time for less than $100. is your data confidentiality worth $100?

ten minutes and a hammer and safety glasses would render the 700WX perfectly secure and unreadable.....
    Quote Originally Posted by car_designer View Post
    will a magnet even do anything?
    Yep. It will permanently destroy the phone as it uses magnetic storage media - you'll know it worked when the phone no longer boots at all.

However, this also means the phone wil be more expensive to refurbish, if they even want to do that. Still, it may be the only option.

Some might say, "Who cares if ti is more expensive for Verizon," but, in the end, we all pay as they must recover their costs and they do that from us. But... let's not get distracted from the purpose of this thread, that is, how to wipe this phone's memory.
    Last edited by westronic; 10/10/2008 at 08:47 AM.
    Not sure if you would be able to do this without a keyboard, but did you try installing the Device Reset app by Palm via activesync?

http://www.palm.com/us/support/downl...vicereset.html
    Quote Originally Posted by car_designer View Post
    another idea is to destroy the 700WX and just buy a used one off of craigslist. I see them all the time for less than $100. is your data confidentiality worth $100?

ten minutes and a hammer and safety glasses would render the 700WX perfectly secure and unreadable.....
    That won't work as Verizon may be expecting the correct device to be returned. The serial number may need to be correct.
    Quote Originally Posted by my007dog View Post
    I have managed to break my phone pretty bad -- screen doesn't work and keys do not work. However, phone still boots, so I am able to sync. I have the Verizon warranty so they sent me a new one but I am suppose to return the one I have. I have a lot of sensitive data and want to erase the memory but do not know how to do this since I cannot perform a hard reset without being able to use the screen or the keyboard. I am able to use the explorer from my PC to try to erase some files. However, some files cannot be deleted, especially any that are in the Databases folders -- which is where most of my sensitive info is. Does anyone know of any windows based utilities to erase my Treo? I could always last-resort use a huge magnet -- if I can find one. Thanks! My007Dog

look for a program called mdesktop... it allows you to display your 700wx on your pc desktop and also control all the functions. at least this way you have a visual confirmation of your content being eliminated