1.    #1  
    If money isn't an issue are there any features that maybe available on unlocked versions that won't be available on carrier (att) or vice versa??? I had heard there may be some GPS differences. I am going to purchase the treo pro just not sure if I should wait for ATT release.
    Honestly nothing that AT&T would add would be worth it. At least to me. All that carrier software is pure junk that I never use.
    Global Posts
    161 Global Posts
    it's possible an ATT version would be "tweaked" to ensure optimal performance with their systems. once i'm on month-to-month contracts, i prefer to use/purchase unlocked devices. as a phone geek, i generally swap devices every 6-8 months and having an unlocked device makes it easier for me to sell it on ebay.
    cortez
    Xda Orbit 2 / Sprint Diamond / Samsung Epix / Touch HD
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    It's hard to say but I have a good example of what AT&T might do, and it's not pretty.

There was this powerful smartphone (back then at least) called the Tilt. AT&T "made" it based on an unlocked model called Kaiser by HTC. I had the Tilt and it that was loaded with crapware like you could not imagine, PLUS it had features removed than the unlocked counterpart did not. For example:

- HTC Kaiser had a front facing camera, the Tilt did not.
    - The HTC home app was removed as well.. or tweaked to have minimal options.
    - The Streaming media app was removed in the Tilt, so no youtube action was possible out of the box.
    - I had like 10 trial versions of games I did not even want and there was no way to remove them unless I installed a cooked-up ROM or did a soft reset and interrupt that reset on a timely manner.
    - Link to AT&T services everywhere. I never even touched them.
    - When the WM6.1 update happened, the Tilt was dead last in getting the update, due to carrier certification (or so we were told). The ROM for the unlocked version was available very early, almost when WM6.1 was announced.
    - After updating the phoen with WM6.1, AT&T decided to limit the ringtone size limit in the phone, whereas with WM6 there was no limit. A minor quibble yes, but still goes to show how the carrier can be extra-picky at times.

Now that I switched to the unlocked Pro, I would seriously consider never getting a subsidized phone again. The phone is very lean, software-wise, and once I pluged the SIM in it auto-configured and I have not had any problems whatsoever with the AT&T network.
    Ode to the Treo Pro: you had to look so good, you had to be HTC in disguise...
    Have you ever noticed that when you install certain apps it causes some instability, at the very least a bog in your resources.
    Well, Att dumps their junk into their phones because they want you to use (often pay for) their services. So comes the name: Bloatware!

That said, I have never been too concerned about Att Phones, because we can usually get a 'Custom Rom'. However, the custom roms were not as prevalent for the 750 as the Tytn and Tilt, and I wonder if it will be just as 'thin-pickins' for the Pro.

Either way, it's a wrestle for me every time - Buy Att = Save Money or Buy Unlocked = Save Hassel.
    Just call me Berd.
  6.    #6  
    I too went with the tilt. I got fustrated and impatient with palm. I wanted wifi and gps and they gave us the foleo... What was that about?

I can't wait to renew my allegiance to palm. It took less than a month before I got tired of the tilt. The Bloatware,rom flashing and slide out keyboard was really fustrating. I didn't even bother updating to 6.1. I see that Best Buy will be selling unlocked treo pros 26 October.
    I am thinking about waiting until then because if I have any problems with it returning it is just a block away.
    Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dyane1160 View Post
    I too went with the tilt. I got fustrated and impatient with palm. I wanted wifi and gps and they gave us the foleo... What was that about?

I can't wait to renew my allegiance to palm. It took less than a month before I got tired of the tilt. The Bloatware,rom flashing and slide out keyboard was really fustrating. I didn't even bother updating to 6.1. I see that Best Buy will be selling unlocked treo pros 26 October.
    I am thinking about waiting until then because if I have any problems with it returning it is just a block away.
    Thanks for the information about Best Buy selling them the 26. I had the same concerns about returning the phone if it didn't pair with my car system.

gls