Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Mileage may vary but I just realized how much this is killing my battery. Outlook persists my data connection and does not disconnect when it's done checking an account.

This also seems to be hanging my data connection numerous times on a daily basis and requiring a radio bounce to remedy each time.

Is there anyway to force Outlook to disconnect when it's done doing it's business?! Or any app that uses data for that matter?
    I have this problem, but no solution.
    Are your arrows solid white or just gray?

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
  4.    #4  
    You know i have never really paid attention to that I connected to check manually and i see what you mean they must signify rx/tx.

Next time my data gets hung i will take notice. But my batt life has never been this good. I mean unplugged since around 10AM, now 11PM and still 83%...

Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    Are your arrows solid white or just gray?
  5.    #5  
    day 2 - no charging at work. at 81% pct now usually would be <10% now. You can't tell me that having data connection enabled constantly doesn't consume a large amount of power...
    Quote Originally Posted by we350z View Post
    day 2 - no charging at work. at 81% pct now usually would be <10% now. You can't tell me that having data connection enabled constantly doesn't consume a large amount of power...
    I agree with you 100% and it's a message I've been trying to communicate to others also.

In my own experiences, whether or not data is moving, just having the data connection on is a battery drainer.

And I've also been mentioning the mail sync is particularly hard on the battery life.

Malatesta, keep in mind you've enabled a few registry tweaks most don't use. Not that I'm certain, but it may be related to why you can't identify with what some of us are talking about.
    It matters about the arrows though.

If solid white, you have an active data session and that will kill the battery. That also means there IS a program doing it which is either left open or has a processes running in the background , maintaining a constant data connection.

It's not the OS but the user setup.

If grey, that is normal especially if running push email.

My arrows are always grey and I don't even run push--just 30min checks.
    I can only speak for myself Malatesta, when I say:
    In my own experiences, whether or not data is moving, just having the data connection on is a battery drainer.
    I say that fully understanding what the arrows indicate when solid (data moving) or not (data not moving).

Of course with data moving it's a much larger drain and that's what folks with full time mail connections are experiencing. But I notice greater drain when the connection is on with no data moving (gray arrows as you would say) than when the connection is off.

And keep in mind, I likely don't have half the reg tweaks you've got.
  9.    #9  
    Well, my assumption all along was that an active data connection of course will drain the battery faster and than an inactive data connection would.

The only thing i know is that all of the sudden Outlook would get stuck on "Connecting" while checking my email account @ 5 minute intervals. This would happen regularly sometimes several times per day. This would completely hose up my data connection and require a radio bounce or soft reset to fix. I'm not sure tho it may have been Outlook pinning the CPU for an extended period of time. I need to reproduce this again and check.

I may do a test tomorrow - connect my data connection all day without using it and compare the battery power to my consistent results for the last 2 days.

Regardless I was probably checking my email too often which is an expensive operation - but I still don't get why my data connection was getting hung. I think Outlook just blows - but maybe it's Sprint's network? Maybe the phone doesn't the data connection very well when roaming?

Since I don't care about syncing email with Outlook I am considering other options. I really want push mail too.

I don't know.
    Not that I know why it's locking up on you, but Palm's guide on conserving battery life mentions:
    Set the frequency of scheduled synchronizations to a moderate setting, such as every 30 minutes.
    I've also noticed, that sometimes you can totally exit an application that had a data connection and for a period of time afterward, the data arrows will remain solid.
  11.    #11  
    thats activesync not outlook but same rules probably apply - thanks for the link tho that was helpful i didn't know about the screen saver using power (makes sense I guess).
    Quote Originally Posted by we350z View Post
    Well, my assumption all along was that an active data connection of course will drain the battery faster and than an inactive data connection would.

The only thing i know is that all of the sudden Outlook would get stuck on "Connecting" while checking my email account @ 5 minute intervals. This would happen regularly sometimes several times per day. This would completely hose up my data connection and require a radio bounce or soft reset to fix. I'm not sure tho it may have been Outlook pinning the CPU for an extended period of time. I need to reproduce this again and check.

I may do a test tomorrow - connect my data connection all day without using it and compare the battery power to my consistent results for the last 2 days.

Regardless I was probably checking my email too often which is an expensive operation - but I still don't get why my data connection was getting hung. I think Outlook just blows - but maybe it's Sprint's network? Maybe the phone doesn't the data connection very well when roaming?

Since I don't care about syncing email with Outlook I am considering other options. I really want push mail too.

I don't know.
    Thanks for clarifying.

The point is that this has nothing to do with a standard dormant data connection. There is no problem or consequence with keeping a dormant connection. You may have an issue that killing the data connection might solve, but dont confuse that for an issue with the data connection itself.

Dormant connections have been around since 1xrtt services were introduced in 2001. Arguing that they cause "drain" is arguing with a lot of empirical evidence that states otherwise.
    Neopoint 1000, I300, Treo 300, i330, Toshiba 2032, Treo 600, T608/UX50, I500,Treo 600, G1000, Treo 650, PPC-6600, PPC-6700, Treo 650, Blackberry 7250, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, PPC-6800, 700wx, Motorola Q9c, Sprint Touch, Sprint ACE, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro, 800w, Touch Diamond, 800w, Treo Pro, Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, EVO 4G warm2.2
    The Treo does eventually close a dormant data connection. I'm sure the process that monitors and eventually closes the data connection uses something, likely battery power to do that. So perhaps that is the drain I notice when a connection is dormant.

We all agree, the matter that initiated this post is not about a dormant data connection.
    How will data disconnect since its checking emails every 5 minutes anyway? The time it gets your emails disconnects then connects a few minutes later there is only 2-3 minute gap. Ever turn something on and off constantly only to find out that the battery life could be longer if it were on the entire time? In the case of the 800 if its on constantly or its checking emails every few minutes it will obviously eat the battery. Maybe real pushmail is a better email alternative for you.

My main email client is on Exchange pushmail. My second "Polling" non-important POP email is set to every 4 hours. Mostly junk mail anyway.

Disconnect data does save battery life. Can't stand that I have to do it but it works.
    ATT History- From 1997-2001-> Nokia 6362->Motorola StarTac->Nokia 8260.

Nextel History From 2001-2004-> Motorola i1000-> Motorola i90c-> Motorola i95cl-> Motorola i730->Motorola i850.

Sprint History From 2005 - Currently->Sanyo 5500-> Sanyo 5600-> Sanyo-> 7400->Sanyo 8300->Sanyo->7500-> Sanyo 9000->Sanyo 8400->Sanyo M1->PPC-6700->Treo 700wx->PPC-6800(Mogul)-> Motorola Q9C-> Treo 800w-> Curve->Treo 800w->Touch Pro->Treo Pro> Curve "M"->HTC Hero.
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post
    The Treo does eventually close a dormant data connection. I'm sure the process that monitors and eventually closes the data connection uses something, likely battery power to do that. So perhaps that is the drain I notice when a connection is dormant.

We all agree, the matter that initiated this post is not about a dormant data connection.
    Negative.

When the connection drops- it is due to network issues- i.e. signal strength etc. Software is not telling it to do so.

It drops like a voice calls does.
    Neopoint 1000, I300, Treo 300, i330, Toshiba 2032, Treo 600, T608/UX50, I500,Treo 600, G1000, Treo 650, PPC-6600, PPC-6700, Treo 650, Blackberry 7250, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, PPC-6800, 700wx, Motorola Q9c, Sprint Touch, Sprint ACE, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro, 800w, Touch Diamond, 800w, Treo Pro, Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, EVO 4G warm2.2
    is there anyway tho to force the connection to stop after lets say 5 mins other than manual
    Well Les, you have your data and I have a Treo 800w that runs longer on standby when I kill the dormant data connection.

I also get longer battery life when I kill programs that are still running but inactive. Malatesta and others tell me that should not impact battery life, but like with this dormant data matter, it does for me.

So we each must do what we find from our own usage. From my own testing, the dormant data connection uses additional battery life on my Treo 800w.

Quote Originally Posted by VibrantRedGT View Post

Disconnect data does save battery life. Can't stand that I have to do it but it works.
    Are you saying you've found additional battery drain when you leave the dormant data connection on too?
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    Didn't see if it was posted but I was getting HORRIBLE battery life, I went into the connmgr in the registry changed the cache time from 600 to 60 and my battery life has more than doubled. This is just my experience

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\COMM\ConnMgr\Planner\Settings\CacheTime (this is in seconds) change the DWORD to what you want, the default I believe is 600 (10min)

Phone alarm also has a data conn manager
    Last edited by jtayler; 10/11/2008 at 10:19 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by jtayler View Post
    Didn't see if it was posted but I was getting HORRIBLE battery life, I went into the connmgr in the registry changed the cache time from 600 to 60 and my battery life has more than doubled. This is just my experience

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\COMM\ConnMgr\Planner\Settings\CacheTime (this is in seconds) change the DWORD to what you want, the default I believe is 600 (10min)

Phone alarm also has a data conn manager
    This is evidence of exactly the kind of thing I was talking about with connections being automatically closed in time. And your results with increased battery life further show killing the data connection only helps. That registry value is how long a connection is cached before being disconnected.

More about this is documented at:
    Establishing Network Connectivity with the Windows Mobile Connection Manager

Connection Manager Reference -> Connection Manager Functions -> ConnMgrReleaseConnection

Me manually closing the data connection clears it all.
    Yes, killing a dormant data connection I found does help battery life. I'm going to try the registry hack posted above to see if that helps as well. I do not want that hump back battery. Also I have the 30 day trial and have a chance to switch to the Touch Pro if I cannot get the 800 to behave.
    ATT History- From 1997-2001-> Nokia 6362->Motorola StarTac->Nokia 8260.

Nextel History From 2001-2004-> Motorola i1000-> Motorola i90c-> Motorola i95cl-> Motorola i730->Motorola i850.

Sprint History From 2005 - Currently->Sanyo 5500-> Sanyo 5600-> Sanyo-> 7400->Sanyo 8300->Sanyo->7500-> Sanyo 9000->Sanyo 8400->Sanyo M1->PPC-6700->Treo 700wx->PPC-6800(Mogul)-> Motorola Q9C-> Treo 800w-> Curve->Treo 800w->Touch Pro->Treo Pro> Curve "M"->HTC Hero.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast