Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1.    #21  
    Wow this post has really grown. I ran my phone last Friday and left data connected without checking email at all. The battery was at 80% around 7pm, so a negligible amount less.

I still guaranteed eventually get a hung connection in Outlook if I check my email account at any interval (5, 30, etc...) and this causes severe battery drain when it gets stuck. I'm still not sure if it's Outlook process itself or the data connection eating cpu. All I know is that the connection bars start blinking really quick and data stops working unti I do a radio bounce or soft reset. So for now I am just manually checking email which totally blows.

Seems like this ONLY happens when I use Outlook. Though everything else I connect to the internet for is on-demand. How do I do Exchange push mail? Maybe I would have better luck with that. I have a Windows 2003 Server and I could get Exchange...
    You need exchange 2003sp2 or later, or SBS with exchange.

I guarantee you will have better luck with it.
    Neopoint 1000, I300, Treo 300, i330, Toshiba 2032, Treo 600, T608/UX50, I500,Treo 600, G1000, Treo 650, PPC-6600, PPC-6700, Treo 650, Blackberry 7250, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, PPC-6800, 700wx, Motorola Q9c, Sprint Touch, Sprint ACE, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro, 800w, Touch Diamond, 800w, Treo Pro, Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, EVO 4G warm2.2
    I think there are two issues here:

1. The 800w uses MORE battery than any WM phone I have ever had with a dormant data session. I've had 2 other WM6 devices and this one drains much more power with GREY arrows than a connection that is OFF. Other phones it has been a negligable difference.

2. If I have outlook set to check mail, even at a 2 hour intervals, it will not release the data connection due to timeout. If I set everything to check mail to manually, it does release the connection eventually.

If I set my connections to manual and check mail every two hours, I get much better battery life than letting the phone check every two hours.

I also noticed that Opera mini seems to hang on to the data connection too, but that I can deal with.
    I just got one of these, and the battery was almost drained after 5 hours. The EV arrows at the top are always on, when I tap it and hit disconnnect
    it disconnects, then I watch it promptly connect again. over and over..

I can't seem to find where you could connect manually only, or only when hitting send/receive (outlook), either would work fine for me

Anyone know a workaround, thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by flat6 View Post
    I just got one of these, and the battery was almost drained after 5 hours. The EV arrows at the top are always on, when I tap it and hit disconnnect
    it disconnects, then I watch it promptly connect again. over and over..

I can't seem to find where you could connect manually only, or only when hitting send/receive (outlook), either would work fine for me

Anyone know a workaround, thanks
    Are you using an Microsoft Exchange account? If so in the options you can change the settings. Set peak and off peak hours. Instead of having pushmail set to arrive change it to 60 minutes. I found these two settings to drastically save battery life. I also have my POP account set at 2 hour intervals.

Battery saving techniques- Press and hold OK button and end tasks often. I find myself doing it everytime I use the phone. Do all the battery hacks in the registry hacks sticky thread. Set the backlight and power to shut down after 30 seconds. These are big savings.
    ATT History- From 1997-2001-> Nokia 6362->Motorola StarTac->Nokia 8260.

Nextel History From 2001-2004-> Motorola i1000-> Motorola i90c-> Motorola i95cl-> Motorola i730->Motorola i850.

Sprint History From 2005 - Currently->Sanyo 5500-> Sanyo 5600-> Sanyo-> 7400->Sanyo 8300->Sanyo->7500-> Sanyo 9000->Sanyo 8400->Sanyo M1->PPC-6700->Treo 700wx->PPC-6800(Mogul)-> Motorola Q9C-> Treo 800w-> Curve->Treo 800w->Touch Pro->Treo Pro> Curve "M"->HTC Hero.
    quote "Are you using an Microsoft Exchange account? If so in the options you can change the settings. Set peak and off peak hours. Instead of having pushmail set to arrive change it to 60 minutes. I found these two settings to drastically save battery life. I also have my POP account set at 2 hour intervals."

Thanks for the reply. Yes using MS Exchnange. Hate to sound slow but where are these settings. On the device in outlook menu>tools>options I don't find any peak or pushmail choices..
    Sorry, its in the ActiveSync. Start, Programs, select ActiveSync, press Menu then select schedule.
    ATT History- From 1997-2001-> Nokia 6362->Motorola StarTac->Nokia 8260.

Nextel History From 2001-2004-> Motorola i1000-> Motorola i90c-> Motorola i95cl-> Motorola i730->Motorola i850.

Sprint History From 2005 - Currently->Sanyo 5500-> Sanyo 5600-> Sanyo-> 7400->Sanyo 8300->Sanyo->7500-> Sanyo 9000->Sanyo 8400->Sanyo M1->PPC-6700->Treo 700wx->PPC-6800(Mogul)-> Motorola Q9C-> Treo 800w-> Curve->Treo 800w->Touch Pro->Treo Pro> Curve "M"->HTC Hero.
    So I remembered a setting to end data sessions from my mogul. Someone else posted the cache time, however that was not dropping the data connection for me when using outlook to check my mail at a one hour interval. With this interval my battery life was about 6 hours to hit the 50% mark. I remembered Schapp's Avanced Config. There is a setting in there to drop your data connection after a certain amount of idle time. I dropped it to 5 minutes, but might even drop it to two.

So far my power consumption is on par with my mogul now (given the fact the battery is about 30% smaller). The GPS fix was not the magic bullet for me, but this is. I feel I can get two days light usage now which is good enough for me.

One thing to note, is that the arrows seem to not update instantly, while the connection drops it seems that the arrows don't update when the device is powered up, it takes a few seconds/minute for them to refresh, but the fact remains, they do not stay grey like they used to, it switches back to "EV".
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Hi,

This looks interesting to try out. Will the phone still check an exchange server for email on a regular basis or does it need that persistent connection for that?

BTW, what app did you use to make these changes?

THanks,
    Rich
    This will not work with Exchange Push, but it works perfectly if you check it at an interval, though I'm not sure if it is worth it at intervals of less than 30 minutes.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12