Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1.    #1  
    Treo 680 had the best SMS/MMS interface. Very user friendly. Very intuitive. Minimal button clicking. Treo 750 was nearly identical.

    Why did Palm opt for this inferior Microsoft messaging program? I know its innate but I just had to comment how inferior it is to the Palm messaging program they created on Palm OS and imported onto the Treo 750.

    When will Microsoft ever count how many clicks it takes to do things. I can't stand how it takes me two hands and a pinky holding my stylus to do things.
  2. #2  
    It is quite similar to the Treo 750. Why you need to use two hands to do things?
  3. #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Physician User View Post
    Treo 680 had the best SMS/MMS interface. Very user friendly. Very intuitive. Minimal button clicking. Treo 750 was nearly identical.

    Why did Palm opt for this inferior Microsoft messaging program? I know its innate but I just had to comment how inferior it is to the Palm messaging program they created on Palm OS and imported onto the Treo 750.

    When will Microsoft ever count how many clicks it takes to do things. I can't stand how it takes me two hands and a pinky holding my stylus to do things.
    I would say that Palm's major priorities on the Pro were as follows:

    Get to market quickly--beat the BB bold to the masses

    Improve form factor --make the thing thinner

    Improve "look"--make a more sleek looking, professional looking device--the 750/755 and to a lesser extent the 800 lack the modern styling that so many buyers are concerned with.

    And equip it with greater on board memory, GPS and wifi.--these were a must to be considered a true high end device.

    After the above everything was secondary. I bet had they had more time to develop this device it would have had

    The missing two soft buttons (leaving these office saved no space but was probably cheaper to build and more consistent with other WM devices), likely a collaboration of sorts with HTC resulted in some trade off from a pure Palm designed device.

    The speed dial slots on the today screen,

    And their own messaging features from earlier WM models like the 700 and 750.

    IMO--they made the right choice and by and large the device really kicks a--.
    They can add the above when the "Pro 2" comes out in a year or so, but for now I am happy.
    PDA Lineage: Palm Pilot, Palm V, Palm Tungsten, Treo 650 (Cingular), Treo 750 (AT&T), Treo Pro GSM (unlocked), Pre Plus (AT&T), Pre 2 GSM (unlocked), Pre 3 16GB (AT&T Branded) and Touchpad 32 GB
  4. Ickis99's Avatar
    Posts
    5 Posts
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    #4  
    Iam using the Pro now for about 1 week. I had the 750v before. Apart from the fact that there are no smilies (which i never used before) i found no major difference between the two applications, at least not under "normal" circumstances. I need 1 Tap to choose the person to sms with then i directly start writing and send with a second tap.

    So where exactly is the inferiority in that?
  5. #5  
    The fact that I can search for SMS now makes the switch worthwhile, and I personally like it. Pretty easy to use IMO.
  6. #6  
    How do you actually do the search? The only menu option I see is "Tools / Search Server", and it is greyed out for the SMS account.
  7. Biggles's Avatar
    Posts
    381 Posts
    Global Posts
    514 Global Posts
    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by matid View Post
    How do you actually do the search?
    Hold down the 'Option' key and press the left 'Shift' key. Any matching character string on the Pro will display, whether in text messages or elsewhere, though you can specify where it is to look.
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by matid View Post
    How do you actually do the search? The only menu option I see is "Tools / Search Server", and it is greyed out for the SMS account.
    On most WM6.1 devices you can just start typing letters and it'll match up the name and such usually.
  9.    #9  
    That's one tap too many. I'm always on the go. The treo 750 needed just one tap to make a new SMS message. I tap the field then start typing the first letter of the persons name. Enter. Then type my message.

    I do miss the emoticons which I used with my fellow Treo (non-pro) users.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ickis99 View Post
    Iam using the Pro now for about 1 week. I had the 750v before. Apart from the fact that there are no smilies (which i never used before) i found no major difference between the two applications, at least not under "normal" circumstances. I need 1 Tap to choose the person to sms with then i directly start writing and send with a second tap.

    So where exactly is the inferiority in that?
  10. Ickis99's Avatar
    Posts
    5 Posts
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by Physician User View Post
    That's one tap too many. I'm always on the go. The treo 750 needed just one tap to make a new SMS message. I tap the field then start typing the first letter of the persons name. Enter. Then type my message.
    Thats interesting. I will get my hands on my old 750 this weekend and make a direct comparison to see what i have missed.
  11. #11  
    From the today screen:
    * I just type the first letters of a person's name
    * I tap on that person
    * I tap on Send text message
    Then I can directly type the message...

    I do not see how you can simplify this when starting from the today screen, other than using a dedicated plugin like PhoneWeaver or SPB Phone suite that show your favorite contacts with photo.
    Click here for more Treo Pro Tricks
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by oVan View Post
    From the today screen:
    * I just type the first letters of a person's name
    * I tap on that person
    * I tap on Send text message
    Then I can directly type the message...

    I do not see how you can simplify this when starting from the today screen, other than using a dedicated plugin like PhoneWeaver or SPB Phone suite that show your favorite contacts with photo.
    I prefer the WM 6.1 SMS threading actually. I feel it is cleaner and easier. The only thing I do miss is the emoticons.
    Daniel Levin
    levinda13@sbcglobal.net
  13. #13  
    When two taps are one tap too many, we have gone to hell in a handbasket.
    Volvo-driving, Sushi-eating, Latte-sipping Liberals Against Stereotypes.
  14. sansnil's Avatar
    Posts
    219 Posts
    Global Posts
    221 Global Posts
    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by ToonFan View Post
    When two taps are one tap too many, we have gone to hell in a handbasket.
    Seriously.

Posting Permissions