View Poll Results: After 3 months with the Treo 800w, are you happy with it?

Voters
136. You may not vote on this poll
  • I am not happy with my Treo 800w.

35 25.74%
  • I am happy with my Treo 800w.

101 74.26%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by skfny View Post
    Having gone back to a 700wx, I have no regrets so far.
    Funny, I would have said the same, just the opposite way.

700wx benefits:
    1) The dedicated headphone jack means I can listen to internet radio at work while charging (no battery worries). 3 hrs/day
    Seems to me there's now a splitter, so that's a fairly moot point.

2) I have a wide selection of compatible wired headsets w/ volume control so I can listen to any MP3 even on the subway (many MP3s are absolutely inaudible on the 800w's headset in modestly noisy situations). 1-2 hr/day
    Somewhat true. As mini USB becomes more and more the standard for phones, we will see more and more compatible headsets come out, so overtime this will be less and less true.

3) OperaMini looks better because the font isn't unbearably thin. This was a shocker- I expected OM to look better on the 800w but I found I ended up using it less because of that awful font. 30-60 mins/day
    Not having used OperaMini I can't really answer this...but did you try RealVGA?

The difference it made in display is absolutely mind boggling.

4) A higher-cap battery means I never think twice about whether I want run a power-intensive app (like Slingbox).
    Truth (though less so if you use the extended battery). This is one of two things I miss from my 700wx.

5) Emulators are better since XPUScalar works and there are fewer resolution issues and fewer control problems.
    Mostly true. I've found more applications are compatible with my 800w (running RealVGA) than were with my 700wx, however.

6) The speaker doesn't sound like garbage at higher volume.
    True. Odd part is that it only happens some of the time....most of the time the speaker sounds great. Other times it sounds blown.

7) BT GPS won't leave you stranded when you most need a signal.
    Not really a fair comparison since the 700wx doesn't even have GPS. Not to mention the 800w handles BT FAR better than the 700wx does (with WM 5.0 or 6.0).

Sadly, the Pro does address most of these issues but we CDMA buyers get the short end again.
    The Pro only addresses some, and has it's own issues to deal with. There's plenty not to like there.

Oh, and you forgot one of the biggest points of the 700wx....

Custom roms!

I will say this however, I use both a lot since the Mrs. has my old 700wx. Every time I use it I marvel at how much smoother, faster, and just plain ol' better the 800w feels to me. I'd kill for the display alone on the 700wx.....

Quote Originally Posted by nsxprime View Post
    Anyone who thinks that standalone GPS isn't needed has never used their GPS. Try making a phone call while using the Sprint Navigation and aGPS which requires a contant data connection. Your battery will be dead in no time and you can't make or receive calls while still navigating. Yuck.
    That's what battery chargers are for.

And even a bluetooth dedicated GPS puck will drain any device. My 700wx saw a huge power hit when I used my GPS puck extensively with it.

darnell, try reading what I wrote again. I never said that a CDMA Treo Pro was on the way. Sprint would be foolish to release it because they'd have to give one away for free to every single 800w owner because of the multitude of problems in the 800w. I said that Palm should have junked the 800w and just released a CDMA version of the Treo Pro instead. Clearly superior feature set, clearly superior design, clearly superior battery life, and clearly superior hardware/internals on the Treo Pro.
    The 800w doesn't really have any more problems than the Pro does.

In fact, many of them are as bad--such as the charging bug--or even arguably worse. (At least the 800w wouldn't lie to you that it was charging!)

Clearly superior feature set? It's virtually the same as the 800w. The only difference is that it does actually have stand alone GPS. It DOES however lack a lot of Palm's little tweaks...something that I prefer.

Clearly superior design? Myself and a few others have posted that we prefer the 800w's design more. It's less prone to breakage (imagine that pretty flush screen after you drop it), dedicated soft keys (none of this "press the screen" garbage), and nice soft touch paint. Some aspects may be superior (such as the dedicated headphone jack) while others are actually inferior (straight keyboard? Yuck!). At the most you can say that this is user preference. I would never touch an iPhone for various reasons...but a lot of people swear by them. Doesn't meant that the 800w is superior to the iPhone, simply a different design for a different kind of user.

Clearly superior battery life? Yup, I'll give you that one. That is the only draw the Treo Pro has for me.

Clearly superior hardware/internals? Not hardly. Both the 800w and Treo Pro use a chipset that was effectively designed in 2006, made smaller in 2007 (and in the case of the Treo Pro slightly modified to get around some patent claim issues in 2008, something the 800w didn't need as it was already ready to go when the lawsuits happened, so Qualcomm was stuck paying the bill regardless).
    Anyone who thinks that standalone GPS isn't needed has never used their GPS.
    I use it every day and don't need standalone. That doesn't mean that you don't need it, but I don't. So over-reaching statements like yours above simply aren't accurate. It obviously isn't the highest of priorities for over 70% of those polled. (The same percentage, more or less, that indicated thier satisfaction with other Treos, despite a very vocal minority that hated them.)

I just don't understand why, just because individuals don't like the 800w, they can't seem to sleep at night until the majority don't like it as well.
    Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy

Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G
  3.    #43  
    Anyone who thinks that standalone GPS isn't needed has never used their GPS. Try making a phone call while using the Sprint Navigation and aGPS which requires a contant data connection. Your battery will be dead in no time and you can't make or receive calls while still navigating. Yuck.
    Most of us who use Sprint Navigation use it in the car and a car charger eliminates any battery concerns. I get out my car fully charged. By the time I'm done with Sprint Navigation, I've got MORE battery life because I've been charging while driving.

The benefits of aGPS with Sprint Navigation, like getting real time traffic data, provide far more benefit than the issue of not being able to make calls during a data connection. I can't play my music and take calls at the same time either, oh the agony .

I have had true stand alone GPS with a Treo before. And all things considered. I can still say, if the Treo 800w had stand alone GPS, my use of it would be minimal. And only in cases where I could not use aGPS. I mean only when outside of the Sprint data network.

darnell, try reading what I wrote again. I never said that a CDMA Treo Pro was on the way. Sprint would be foolish to release it because they'd have to give one away for free to every single 800w owner because of the multitude of problems in the 800w. I said that Palm should have junked the 800w and just released a CDMA version of the Treo Pro instead. Clearly superior feature set, clearly superior design, clearly superior battery life, and clearly superior hardware/internals on the Treo Pro.
    No they would not and my prior comment fully takes your statements into account, but I won't repeat myself.
    Last edited by darnell; 10/14/2008 at 09:50 AM.
  4.    #44  
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebag333 View Post

Somewhat true. As mini USB becomes more and more the standard for phones, we will see more and more compatible headsets come out, so overtime this will be less and less true.

Has anyone confirmed that non-Palm MicroUSB (microUSB, not miniUSB, there is a difference) headsets work with the Treo800w? We already know MicroUSB to 3.5 mm adapters don't work. So we can't be too sure non-Palm microUSB headsets will work.

I think Skfny gets the nod on the complaint about headsets, beyond just somewhat. 3.5mm is too widely used, even in cars, to be ignored.

Even if non-Palm MicroUSB headphones work with the Treo 800w, by the time there is a nice selection of them, we'll have moved on to something other than the 800w.

Even the selection of BT headsets is slim pickings, especially if you want noise cancellation.
    Funny, I would have said the same, just the opposite way.
    I did too for a few months until I realized I was actually using my Treo much less. It was almost as bad as my PPC-6700 experience. (!)

Seems to me there's now a splitter, so that's a fairly moot point.
    I'd rather not have to worry about carrying around a splitter in addition to my BT GPS and headset everywhere I go.

The headset issue is huge. I searched on eBay for replacement MICRO-USB (not mini) headsets with volume controls but have come up empty except for a single listing in GB. Even if I get that, with limited availability, it's not exactly the kind of thing I can replace if it ever breaks.

Not having used OperaMini I can't really answer this...but did you try RealVGA?
    I had not with Opera Mini. My understanding was that it was an issue with JBed on all high-res devices. I actually did end up using Mini a lot less simply because it was so annoying to read those hair-thin fonts.

Truth (though less so if you use the extended battery). This is one of two things I miss from my 700wx.
    All of these things started to add up until I realized how much less I was using my Treo 800w.

Mostly true. I've found more applications are compatible with my 800w (running RealVGA) than were with my 700wx, however.
    Unfortunately, I don't think we'll ever see a new emulator release for WM. Most of the available emulators were updated three years ago. I would keep the 800w and its gobs of storage if there were compelling apps being released. But other than browsers, there's nothing that interests me among the new offerings, so I don't think I'll need the extra storage. (Aside) Kudos to Apple (and now even RIM) for getting developers to make truly compelling apps in 2008.

True. Odd part is that it only happens some of the time....most of the time the speaker sounds great. Other times it sounds blown.
    Tell me about it. Seems like another software bug that Palm may or may not address.

Not really a fair comparison since the 700wx doesn't even have GPS. Not to mention the 800w handles BT FAR better than the 700wx does (with WM 5.0 or 6.0).
    I know, but I don't like the thought of having to pair the 800w w/ BT GPS just on principle.

The Pro only addresses some, and has it's own issues to deal with. There's plenty not to like there.
    It's not perfect, but the headset fix itself would mean that I would use my Treo for an extra 3 hours a day and would probably keep the "upgrade". All I need to keep my 800w are real GPS and a real headset jack *OR* a micro-USB headset w/ volume control. Maybe on the 850?

Oh, and you forgot one of the biggest points of the 700wx....

Custom roms!
    Once I decide that I will keep my 700wx, I have to dig up that email with the Paypal link and finally make a small donation. I would have lived with all the 800w issues if there was no way to get WM6 on a 700wx. Thanks to you.

I will say this however, I use both a lot since the Mrs. has my old 700wx. Every time I use it I marvel at how much smoother, faster, and just plain ol' better the 800w feels to me. I'd kill for the display alone on the 700wx.....
    After using the 700wx for a while, I was amazed when I turned on the 800w for the first time. But I'll manage with the lower res. I also grew to appreciate how much faster the 800w is, but a little overclocking resolved that problem on the 700wx, with still far more battery life than the 800w.
    Try making a phone call while using the Sprint Navigation and aGPS which requires a contant data connection. Your battery will be dead in no time and you can't make or receive calls while still navigating. Yuck.
    Good point. I never even thought about what would happen if you get a call while driving.
  7.    #47  
    Good point. I never even thought about what would happen if you get a call while driving.
    I've had it occur and never felt any pain over it. The call comes in, I talk, I hang up, I start Sprint Navigation over again for the most recent destination. After the call, Sprint Navigation picks up doing its thing, but I've found the navigation voice is gone after a call. That's why I restart it for the most recent destination, to get the voice back.

I've found internet radio stations pick up playing fine automatically after a call, but Sprint Navigation loses its voice after a call although it continues mapping to the desired destination.
    I would have lived with all the 800w issues if there was no way to get WM6 on a 700wx. Thanks to you.
    Dangit! I knew there was a reason I wasn't supposed to create those custom roms!

Global Posts
    154 Global Posts
    Short and Sweet - I am Happy with my 800w
    Treo 600 650 700p 800w Pre
    Dangit! I knew there was a reason I wasn't supposed to create those custom roms!

LOL.
    Once I decide that I will keep my 700wx, I have to dig up that email with the Paypal link and finally make a small donation. I would have lived with all the 800w issues if there was no way to get WM6 on a 700wx. Thanks to you.

After using the 700wx for a while, I was amazed when I turned on the 800w for the first time. But I'll manage with the lower res. I also grew to appreciate how much faster the 800w is, but a little overclocking resolved that problem on the 700wx, with still far more battery life than the 800w.
    No doubt. Maybe sometime next year when the 800w starts getting custom ROMs it will be a little less buggy and stand a better chance of competing against phones like the 700wx and Mogul. I fear that the pathetic battery life will always remain though.
    No doubt. Maybe sometime next year when the 800w starts getting custom ROMs it will be a little less buggy and stand a better chance of competing against phones like the 700wx and Mogul. I fear that the pathetic battery life will always remain though.
    You keep bringing up how "buggy" the 800w.

Mind clarifying on the horrible bugs that everyone (IE: not just you) is experiencing?

Aside from stand alone GPS being broken, I can't think of a single major bug (offhand, granted it's late and I'm fairly tired so I could just be brain dead ).

Well, the intermittent speaker issue (speaker sounding blown) is one. But I haven't personally experienced that one in over a month.

You do seem to be experiencing some weirdness with your phone, but it's extremely possible that it's a defective phone and not an actual bug (and hardly fair to brand every phone buggy based on a single one).

Then again, maybe I just got lucky and got a super 800w that doesn't have any issues.

And to clarify, by "bug" I mean one in the developer sense. Not business decisions--IE: battery life--or "bugs" beyond Palm's control--IE: program X won't work with the 800w. The lack of standalone GPS would be considered a bug (although personally I think it was a business decision by Verizon that never got removed), the lack of micro (not mini, thanks to those who corrected me ) USB adapters would not be.
    Until there is a stereo headphone adapter, I'M NOT HAPPY. I'll probably be buying an HTC Touch Pro. Where the Touch Pro and Diamond COME BUNDLED with an adapter, Palm apparently doesn't see fit to release one that we can buy much less bundle it with the phone. UNACCEPTABLE PALM. ( Sorry for the outburst, I'm nervous about the election )
    Last edited by sndtubes; 10/14/2008 at 11:58 PM.
    I was (and still am to a certain degree) a Palm Fan!

But I broke down and bought me a Diamond today, and WOW.

I miss my keyboard, but love the flush screen!
  15.    #55  
    Since Ebag333's comment properly responds to the claims of massive bugs, I'll leave that alone and leave that up to you responding to him in that regard.

But regarding this "and stand a better chance of competing against phones like the 700wx and Mogul" statement.

Well once a hack is made to give the 700wx and Mogul WiFi, the Mogul gets a front keyboard (not a slider), the 700wx naively runs MicroSDHC, the 700wx gets some form of built in GPS and they both get 320 X 320 screens. Yea then the Treo 800w might need some additional hacks in order to compete .
    Um, the Mogul has always had WiFi. ROTFLMAO

THAT'S the best you can come up with? Need more time to think of something witty? Or maybe you just need to study with politicians more to learn how to better dodge a statement you made--with little fact to back it up--when you're called on the carpet about it.

Shesh, no wonder people add you to their ignore list.
  18.    #58  
    OK, my mistake regarding the Mogul and WiFi. Now please let us know when the Mogul gets a hack that gives it:
    • A front keyboard (not a slider)
    • 320 X 320 screen

And even this forum is FULL of complaints about issues with the Mogul. So you might want to name something else in your efforts to bad talk the device you're using, the Treo 800w.
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post
    OK, my mistake regarding the Mogul and WiFi. Now please let us know when the Mogul gets a hack that gives it:
    • A front keyboard (not a slider)
    • 320 X 320 screen
    That was really funny... lol

I hope nsxprime can come back with something equally funny.
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
    Not true. When I first got my Mogul, it did not have WiFi. HTC had to release a ROM update to enable the GPS.
    Sprint 600 - 650 - 755 - Mogul - 700Wx - Centro - 800W & iPhone
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast