View Poll Results: After 3 months with the Treo 800w, are you happy with it?

Voters
136. You may not vote on this poll
  • I am not happy with my Treo 800w.

    35 25.74%
  • I am happy with my Treo 800w.

    101 74.26%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 67
  1. #21  
    Lol, look at it the way a polster would! Of the 82 people who voted, all are members of the treocentral forums. We don't have the people who tried it for a few weeks, found the battery life was no good for a professional business user and went or went back to a BB. I don't think we are a representative sample.

    I think it is a great phone for tinkerers such as ourselves, but I hear the same complaint over and over from business users who have tried it coming from a blackberry (I spend most of my time in the blackberry capita/ol of the world) -- bad battery life.

    For the typical professional business user who the handset is marketed to, the stock battery wont go a full professional business day. They are absolutely going to be polling their mail all the time for example.

    On the lack of standalone GPS, it isn't of course about the odd trip to the woods, that's a reductive example, since in fact the GPS won't work at all in 95% of the major cities on the planet. Mine wont work well on drives in PA and NW NJ. "Standalone GPS" means it will, but the 800W won't.

    I'll keep mine and not mark a vote as "unhappy" as I have spent a lot of time learning the ins and outs. But I definitely wouldn't recommend it compared to the competition coming onstream
  2.    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    Lol, look at it the way a polster would! Of the 82 people who voted, all are members of the treocentral forums. We don't have the people who tried it for a few weeks, found the battery life was no good for a professional business user and went or went back to a BB. I don't think we are a representative sample.
    For the specific parameters of the poll, we are very much a representative sample. Keep in mind, the poll starts with "After three months". So this is really about those who hauled the Treo 800w for 3 months.

    Never mind 30 day trial, we're talking 90 day users.

    For those who need extra battery life, Sprint should team with a company like Seidio and offer an extended life battery. In terms of additional size, it puts the Treo 800w right around the size of the 700. I think if Sprint/Palm were to market the thing properly, they'd get the sales.

    And regarding GPS, all I can say is, that's a monster of their own creation. They should have said it does aGPS and left it at that.
  3. #23  
    I do love my Treo800w. Only wish for bigger battery and greater accessory supports..
  4. #24  
    Actually Palm should create a 1500 mAH clone of the Pro and let us swap the stocker out. I don't know any business man or women who use the 800. BB is still the device of choice. Since it's a phone and email machine with incredible battery life I don't blame them at all (I was one of them). Again if this phone had good earpiece audio quality, real standalone GPS and good battery life this phone would be a contender. Obviously this device is not Palm's saving reputation device they all hoped it would be. I believe it actually hurt them. The Pro is a better device hands down. My buddy has it and everything works out of the box with no need to crippled or hack it.
    ATT History- From 1997-2001-> Nokia 6362->Motorola StarTac->Nokia 8260.

    Nextel History From 2001-2004-> Motorola i1000-> Motorola i90c-> Motorola i95cl-> Motorola i730->Motorola i850.

    Sprint History From 2005 - Currently->Sanyo 5500-> Sanyo 5600-> Sanyo-> 7400->Sanyo 8300->Sanyo->7500-> Sanyo 9000->Sanyo 8400->Sanyo M1->PPC-6700->Treo 700wx->PPC-6800(Mogul)-> Motorola Q9C-> Treo 800w-> Curve->Treo 800w->Touch Pro->Treo Pro> Curve "M"->HTC Hero.
  5. #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by VibrantRedGT View Post
    Actually Palm should create a 1500 mAH clone of the Pro and let us swap the stocker out. I don't know any business man or women who use the 800. BB is still the device of choice. Since it's a phone and email machine with incredible battery life I don't blame them at all (I was one of them). Again if this phone had good earpiece audio quality, real standalone GPS and good battery life this phone would be a contender. Obviously this device is not Palm's saving reputation device they all hoped it would be. I believe it actually hurt them. The Pro is a better device hands down. My buddy has it and everything works out of the box with no need to crippled or hack it.
    Very true. The 800w is such a letdown after years of waiting. Palm really should have just junked it and given us a CDMA Treo Pro instead.
  6. #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by nsxprime View Post
    Very true. The 800w is such a letdown after years of waiting. Palm really should have just junked it and given us a CDMA Treo Pro instead.
    I agree. I don't miss the 800 at all. I'm damn glad I returned it.

    I fell in love with my fully functional, Palm OS phones all over again.......

    I never complained about Palm, or tried to figure out what the hell they were thinking, untill the 800w was released.

  7. #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    On the lack of standalone GPS, it isn't of course about the odd trip to the woods, that's a reductive example, since in fact the GPS won't work at all in 95% of the major cities on the planet. Mine wont work well on drives in PA and NW NJ. "Standalone GPS" means it will, but the 800W won't.
    GPS may not work in 95% of the major cities on the planet, but it does work in 95% of the major cities in the US.

    The 800w wasn't marketed worldwide, it was marketed to the US.

    And if you want to compare the 800w to BB's, you might as well consider that many of them are aGPS only, whether by device design or by carrier lockdown. So those suffer from the same issue as the 800w.


    Quote Originally Posted by VibrantRedGT View Post
    I don't know any business man or women who use the 800. BB is still the device of choice.
    This is largely because many (perhaps even most) large companies do not support WM devices. WM devices as a competitor to BB is fairly new, and requires Exchange 2007 (many companies are still running 2003), and a lot of new setup.

    Comparing a device that's been geared towards business users for 10+ years to a device that's been geared towards business users for only a few years, and then stating that the 10+ year devices has a much larger user base than the 1-2 year device may be true, but it's hardly a fair comparison.

    Quote Originally Posted by VibrantRedGT View Post
    Since it's a phone and email machine with incredible battery life I don't blame them at all (I was one of them).
    This is true. And I will tell people (despite being a huge fan of WM) that if *ALL* they want to do is e-mail and phone, it's awful hard to beat Blackberry.


    Quote Originally Posted by VibrantRedGT View Post
    Again if this phone had good earpiece audio quality, real standalone GPS and good battery life this phone would be a contender.
    I disagree with 2 of the 3 above. Many BB's I've used hasn't had any better of earpiece quality than my 800w. True that many have had better quality, but I'm of the opinion that if it works, it works. Most BB users I know could care less about the quality of their calls (and I work with VP's and Directors who use exclusively BB's on a daily basis).

    Real standalone GPS is not a big concern for business users. Most BB's are locked down, either the device doesn't do it, or the carrier has locked it down (IE: Verizon). Yet you don't see people flooding from Verizon to Sprint (or another carrier) because one supports standalone GPS and the other doesn't.

    Heck, I don't believe that 1 out of 50 of the people who use BB's here where I work even have used GPS. Ever. (In fact out of all the people I've talked to about their BB's, only two have used GPS, and both of of them work with me supporting the other BB users.)

    Good battery life is the 800w's biggest failing. It has "just enough" battery to make it through the day, but when going from a device that lasts 2-3 days on a single charge to a device that only lasts 1 is a hard pill to swallow. That was a pretty big mistake by Palm, I totally agree.
  8. gottspd's Avatar
    Posts
    266 Posts
    Global Posts
    282 Global Posts
    #28  
    These are my top 5 frustrations:

    1) Battery life is not just poor, but unpredictable.
    2) Video quality is awful;
    3) Regularly hangs requiring resets;
    4) No stand alone GPS (having to keep the phone on to use GPS just kills the batter); and
    5) Difficult to output sound (yes, I did the headphone hack, but I shouldn't have had to!).
  9. Schump939's Avatar
    Posts
    62 Posts
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    #29  
    I am happy with the phone especially after finding my battery drain problem. Ended up being the built in mail client. I replaced it with Flexmail and my battery problems seem to be gone.
  10.    #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by nsxprime View Post
    Very true. The 800w is such a letdown after years of waiting. Palm really should have just junked it and given us a CDMA Treo Pro instead.
    I disagree with that. But I'm one of those people who prefers the 800w design over the "touch" design of the hardware softkeyless, kiddie keyboard Treo Pro. (I mean it, hardware softkeys are a big deal for me personally.)

    And a CDMA Treo Pro is not going to be ready till who knows when. The dreams of a CDMA Treo Pro might be like wanting a CDMA Treo 750, it never happened. The fact the Treo Pro has initially released unlocked is not something that makes the carriers smile, the Treo 750 is unlocked GSM too.

    So I'd rather have the design I prefer and have it in my hands right now, instead of waiting for a CDMA Treo Pro, which might never happen and is currently unavailable.


    Quote Originally Posted by msgott View Post

    2) Video quality is awful;
    Perhaps your video is simply not well optimized for the screen? I've been having a rather good time in terms of video, but it has to be optimized for the device, that's going to be a given with any hand held device.


    3) Regularly hangs requiring resets;
    Perhaps you need a replacement. That happened with my first Treo 800w, but it's not the case with my current (2nd) one.
  11. #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by nsxprime View Post
    Very true. The 800w is such a letdown after years of waiting. Palm really should have just junked it and given us a CDMA Treo Pro instead.
    Completely disagree. It has not been a let down at all. Is the battery life low, yes. But, not to the extent it is worthless. I don't really care about GPS and all that, so none of that is an issue. I get my Exchange email as needed and with my Redfly I can take care of nearly all my business as needed on the go. I have had maybe two to three freeze ups and those have only been when I installed software that I already knew may have a problem. If you read the Treo Pro threads, it's certainly not perfect. Not that it's bad by any means. But, it certainly has issues as well.
    Sprint 600 - 650 - 755 - Mogul - 700Wx - Centro - 800W & iPhone
  12. #32  
    Man it is depressing to still bad stories about the battery life. This was my dream phone but if it can barely make it half a day without the battery dying, I will have to stay away
  13. #33  
    Darnell we all know your an 800 fan but regardless what you say the thing or things you complain about on the 800 actually work on the Pro. The fact that it works exceptionally well out of the box with zero hacks and looks good doing it makes it a superior device. Currently you can compare it with anything out there without hesitation unlike the 800. Hey Im an 800 owner and when I use my buddy's Pro against mine it clearly looks dated.
  14.    #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by VibrantRedGT View Post
    Darnell we all know your an 800 fan but regardless what you say the thing or things you complain about on the 800 actually work on the Pro. The fact that it works exceptionally well out of the box with zero hacks and looks good doing it makes it a superior device. Currently you can compare it with anything out there without hesitation unlike the 800. Hey Im an 800 owner and when I use my buddy's Pro against mine it clearly looks dated.
    I'll say again as I've said before the Treo Pro coming out AFTER the 800w, it should do something better. But the Treo Pro has no hardware softkeys to compare. Again I'll say as I've said to you and others many times over, I don't care for the IPhone look.

    I can and do compare the 800w with what is out there. The keyboard on the Touch Diamond compared to the Treo 800w, oh wait, the Touch Diamond does not have a keyboard. And I'm sure I already told you I'm not for having to flip my device around just to use a keyboard like on the Touch Pro. And the Touch Pro is coming out AFTER the 800w, so it should have something nicer in some respect as it does.

    I've never said the Treo Pro is an inferior device, just as I have said dual processor design is not inferior to single processor design and so on with other comparisons.

    But I'll tell you this VibrantRedGT. In late July, I went from having no GPS to having a pretty nice GPS device although it requires Sprint's network. And frankly, I find Sprint Navigation to be superior to all the other GPS software available and even if stand alone worked, it would be an inferior backup compared to what is available in Sprint Navigation. I went from no WiFi hand held device to having a pretty nice WiFi hand held device. I've gone from not being able to play much of my music library in my car, to being able to play much of it from a hand held device. I went from no device that could multitask to a pretty nice device that can multitask. The devices you can name that you put out as superior were not around in late July. As time continues, the devices you see as superior will themselves be inferior. The real bottom line is, most of us who have carried the device about 90 days are happy. You and others can point to yourselves and other people who made returns because you no longer wanted an 800w, but that rate has not been high enough for Sprint to dump the device. Just as you and others might claim a group that does not speak because they left the 800w, there is likewise a group that does not speak and is simply enjoying their 800w. You're coming at my expressing pleasure in the 800w, while you've come back to the device again yourself.

    I've been posting polls here since we first got these devices and overwhelmingly, the nay sayers always turn out to be nothing more than a vocal minority. Just as they were with every other Treo I've ever owned.
  15. #35  
    double post
    Last edited by VibrantRedGT; 10/13/2008 at 09:11 PM.
  16. #36  
    No way that Im trying to convince you that there are better devices (Treo Pro being just one) out there since you are complacent with the 800. Since I came from a Mogul that had aGPS, WiFi, 2MP Camera, MP3 player and more, YES I did expect more from the 800 where as you did not. Yes I am back but only because I am Windows junky and Sprint has nothing to offer than this device currently. In my 30 day trial again I will probably move away to the HTC Touch Pro. Not a big sliding keyboard guy but the feature list outways that. As I do like Palm I will always feel that they screwed up there rep with this phone. With that said I also think they have given up on it as well since their support for it has already dried up. There are no updates in the works. It is what it is. Its a shame because its an update away from being a good device.
  17. #37  
    It seems amazing to me that, even though most folks have indicated that they're happy with the Treo 800w, a small number are determined to complain over and over, and call those satisfied customers "complacent".

    I, for one, am not compacent, but the phone simply does everything I want.
    Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy

    Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G
  18.    #38  
    Quote Originally Posted by Bujin View Post
    It seems amazing to me that, even though most folks have indicated that they're happy with the Treo 800w, a small number are determined to complain over and over, and call those satisfied customers "complacent".

    I, for one, am not compacent, but the phone simply does everything I want.
    There's an old saying, misery loves company.

    Not only are most of us enjoying the device, but Verizon customers are so "complacent" that many of them are waiting for the moment to get theirs.

    Oh look at one of the new stories on TC today...
    "Official" Treo Pro Bug List on TreoCentral Forum

    Oh yea, that Treo Pro, a thing of perfection it is .

    For me, the ONLY thing I didn't know about my Treo 800w prior to purchase was the GPS issue. Unlike some others, I read ahead and knew what I was getting into before I paid the money. So I've got good reason to be happy with what I paid for, because I knew what I was getting before I paid for it. And even if it was advertised as aGPS, I would have ordered a Treo 800w without hesitation.
  19. #39  
    Having gone back to a 700wx, I have no regrets so far.

    700wx benefits:
    1) The dedicated headphone jack means I can listen to internet radio at work while charging (no battery worries). 3 hrs/day
    2) I have a wide selection of compatible wired headsets w/ volume control so I can listen to any MP3 even on the subway (many MP3s are absolutely inaudible on the 800w's headset in modestly noisy situations). 1-2 hr/day
    3) OperaMini looks better because the font isn't unbearably thin. This was a shocker- I expected OM to look better on the 800w but I found I ended up using it less because of that awful font. 30-60 mins/day
    4) A higher-cap battery means I never think twice about whether I want run a power-intensive app (like Slingbox).
    5) Emulators are better since XPUScalar works and there are fewer resolution issues and fewer control problems.
    6) The speaker doesn't sound like garbage at higher volume.
    7) BT GPS won't leave you stranded when you most need a signal.

    There's a lot to like about the 800w, specially if you're new to smartphones. But I was changing my usage patterns (formed w/ the 700wx) to accommodate my 800w's shortcomings. I still may go back to it after a few weeks (probably won't). The 800w is not the clear upgrade over the 700wx I was hoping for.

    Sadly, the Pro does address most of these issues but we CDMA buyers get the short end again.
  20. #40  
    Anyone who thinks that standalone GPS isn't needed has never used their GPS. Try making a phone call while using the Sprint Navigation and aGPS which requires a contant data connection. Your battery will be dead in no time and you can't make or receive calls while still navigating. Yuck.

    darnell, try reading what I wrote again. I never said that a CDMA Treo Pro was on the way. Sprint would be foolish to release it because they'd have to give one away for free to every single 800w owner because of the multitude of problems in the 800w. I said that Palm should have junked the 800w and just released a CDMA version of the Treo Pro instead. Clearly superior feature set, clearly superior design, clearly superior battery life, and clearly superior hardware/internals on the Treo Pro.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions